Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

Dont see any anticipation throws in that real. Lots of throws to wide open receivers. Not saying he cant make the anticipation throws, just not something that was required of him at USC. NFL qbs always amaze me because they make throws to guys who look completely covered but will be open for a fraction of a second on a certain break.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not take any QB with our 8th (whether from USC or any other university) in this year's draft. Later in the first round or with our second pick, I would consider it.

Correct. There are no QB starters in this draft. Typical Bills . they decide to take a QB in the year where there are none. Lets hope and pray its all a bluff to enable a trade down.

Correct. There are no QB starters in this draft. Typical Bills . they decide to take a QB in the year where there are none. Lets hope and pray its all a bluff to enable a trade down.

You know this how?

The Bills need to come away from this draft with Barkley. Then, as the Colts did last draft, add every weapon you can round after round to support the QB.

But it snows and it is windy in Buffalo one game a year, and that only happens when the the Bills offense is on the field and never negitively effects the others teams QB.

Nice ESPN article on Barkley.

I could be sold on this guy. A separated throwing shoulder worries me a bit, because once a shoulder's separated, the more likely it can get separated again. But he has all the tools, and he appears to have really great accuracy and touch on the ball.

Everybody's saying he's a second round QB, but as Buddy has been saying, sometimes you have to take a guy a round earlier than he's projected.

I could be sold on this guy. A separated throwing shoulder worries me a bit, because once a shoulder's separated, the more likely it can get separated again. But he has all the tools, and he appears to have really great accuracy and touch on the ball.

Everybody's saying he's a second round QB, but as Buddy has been saying, sometimes you have to take a guy a round earlier than he's projected.

I thought this was a great article.

I thought this guy was your typical d-bag USC QB, like Lenart and Sanchez. But he seems like a really solid, grounded guy.

I thought this was a great article.

I thought this guy was your typical d-bag USC QB, like Lenart and Sanchez. But he seems like a really solid, grounded guy.

That's one thing he's really got in his favor, and I'm not a Barkley fan at all as far as the Bills QB pick goes. But he's a poster boy from most if not all accounts.

The bolded is exactly why I think all of these players are being talked about as "2nd round talents." I think the plan (for many teams) is to talk them down and still grab one in the 1st. As others have said I will be shocked if there is not at least 3 taken in the first.

I think Nassib and Barkley are more similar than most people realize, and I see them both being successful in the NFL, and I would be happy with either. Both have the arm strength thing going against them, but I don't know that that will matter as much as release and accuracy or be the reason that either fail in the NFL.

Two reasons I prefer Nassib to Barkley right now are the shoulder injury to Barkley, and the Syracuse connection where I think Nassib would be ready to start sooner.

The fact that they are pretty similar in my book also means that it gives us a backup option to trade up/down and not reach at #8 if we don't think either of them are a lock at #8, and view them somewhat interchangeably. It would seem that one of the two will likely slide until late in the first round or into the second round, and also that both will be there still at #8. It is a little bit of a gamble, but waiting while they are both on the board, and then trying to trade up once one goes off the board (or even when both are on the board to get the first choice later in the round) could get us the QB we need and maximize the value of our draft.

If however things don't play out that way, or the team doesn't view them as quite as similar and has a stronger preference, I am happy with them taking either (or Geno) at #8.

You know this how?

But it snows and it is windy in Buffalo one game a year, and that only happens when the the Bills offense is on the field and never negitively effects the others teams QB.

You're kidding, right? One game a year it's windy or nasty? If that's the case, why does a team select the West endzone to defend about 90% of the time? In the AFC East you still have to travel to NY and NE plus you have the potential for Philly, Pitt, Cinn, Clev, Balt. Then, you get in to January for the potential of playoffs in several of those venues plus Buffalo. And, I'll bet you can count the games over the past four years on one hand that Barkley did not play in sunshine. And, I'd doubt it if he ever played a game in <45 degrees, if that.

USC QBs are used to playing in sunshine, being surrounded by pro players, being a top 10 team every year. But, when they get to the NFL they never quite seem to take it to the next level, because they've never had to. They've been superior athletically to most of the teams they play. Then they see the playing field is leveled in the NFL, for the most part, and they can't handle that. Throw the Buffalo fans and the Buffalo weather into the mix and you've got an environment for him not to succeed. To you or me, once mid October hits, playing in weather 45-55 degrees is nothing, in November, 40-50 is nothing, in December, 30-45 is nothing, but to a California dude who always played in sunshine, it's miserable, and they can't function mentally or physically. Brady was a California guy, but he spent four seasons in Ann Arbor plus one in NE before he tookover the reins, so he acclimated himself for 5 years . Barkley aint a fit in any way in Buffalo, if the Bills are stupid enough to draft him, you will bear witness to that.

And why, oh why, would the Bills draft a QB high that just had a serious shoulder separation and not even completely healed?

You're kidding, right? One game a year it's windy or nasty? If that's the case, why does a team select the West endzone to defend about 90% of the time? In the AFC East you still have to travel to NY and NE plus you have the potential for Philly, Pitt, Cinn, Clev, Balt. Then, you get in to January for the potential of playoffs in several of those venues plus Buffalo. And, I'll bet you can count the games over the past four years on one hand that Barkley did not play in sunshine. And, I'd doubt it if he ever played a game in <45 degrees, if that.

USC QBs are used to playing in sunshine, being surrounded by pro players, being a top 10 team every year. But, when they get to the NFL they never quite seem to take it to the next level, because they've never had to. They've been superior athletically to most of the teams they play. Then they see the playing field is leveled in the NFL, for the most part, and they can't handle that. Throw the Buffalo fans and the Buffalo weather into the mix and you've got an environment for him not to succeed. To you or me, once mid October hits, playing in weather 45-55 degrees is nothing, in November, 40-50 is nothing, in December, 30-45 is nothing, but to a California dude who always played in sunshine, it's miserable, and they can't function mentally or physically. Brady was a California guy, but he spent four seasons in Ann Arbor plus one in NE before he tookover the reins, so he acclimated himself for 5 years . Barkley aint a fit in any way in Buffalo, if the Bills are stupid enough to draft him, you will bear witness to that.

And why, oh why, would the Bills draft a QB high that just had a serious shoulder separation and not even completely healed?

Sorry, but I think you are way, way, way off here. 40 degrees on a football field, when you're running and playing, is not cold at all, to anyone.

Because he can probably take a back seat for half the season to Kolb, if needed.

IS there a Qb that can make all the throws ? accurate? Great deep ball,doesn`t hop around like a wounded chicken,has great footwork? Yeah maybe he had good receivers,BUT he still had to make the throw. BARKLEY. 4yrs proven,bad senior year...36 tds 15ints.BAD year. With a bad o-line.But he`s not from crappy cuse. Get real.