One guy's first look at the Syracuse offense

Simon

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing Nassib's strengths and weaknesses puts the Bills in the best position to make the decision on him. He would be in the unique situation that he knows Hackett's Offensive inside and out. It would allow him to take a leadership role as he could be instrumental in teaching the offense to veterans. Also his learning curve jumping from college to the NFL would be easier as he knows the offense already. This would allow him to concentrate on learning to read NFL Defenses.

Brad Riter has a great take on the situation. http://www.trendingb...in-first-round/

Hackett on Nassib:

Q: What about his NFL future?

A: I’m not sure about that. You never know. Everybody has their own likes and their wants. If I was in the NFL, I know I would want him. He loves the cold. He’s a tough, tough guy. He took some hits today which crushed me because I didn’t want him to take some hits.

http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/sports/bills-oc-gushes-over-syracuse-qb-ryan-nassib/

Excellent unbiased analysis. The bills have a lot of weapons that were underutilized as we all know.

My brother has been touting nassib all year saying he has an NFL arm and presence about him. Infollwed a couple

Of games and was impressed with his accuracy and quick release.....

Definitlely can see him becoming our future qb....I will be watching his workouts...not sold on any other qb..

Geno is horrible...glennonnmakes bad decisions(but has an nfl arm)..like the kid out of arkansas....

Barkely no way..

Wait a minute...

Geno is horrible?

71% completions. 4200 yards. 42 touchdowns. 6 interceptions.

Does not sound horrible to me. I am very impressed with him.

The only QB I would consider taking at eight.

Wait a minute...

Geno is horrible?

71% completions. 4200 yards. 42 touchdowns. 6 interceptions.

Does not sound horrible to me. I am very impressed with him.

The only QB I would consider taking at eight.

Great numbers indeed. Geno fails the eye test against good defenses in the opinion of some observers however (myself included).

I had a few thoughts while watching the Syracuse-USC video that one of our posters put up last week.

I was impressed with Nassib in the Southern Cal game. I was in a distinct minority.

The talent difference was huge, he typically had very little time to throw and the windows were small and closed fast. As the game wore on you could see that he adjusted to the speed of the USC defense and under the circumstances, I thought he played well. Again most of the posters here thought he sucked in that game so take it FWIW which is probably not much.

His release is lightning quick as was Trent Edwards'. That's because they have the same delivery.

Neither guy winds up very much but rather throws the football like a dart, generating the power in the second half of the throwing motion.

Nassib has a stronger arm than Trent, however. Same lightning release and throwing motion though.

I agree with you completley. Watched the USC snaps, and came away impressed by how Nassib hung in there despite the fact his line was poor. He even made some nice throws against a defense that clearly had superior talent.

We obviously don't know how he will turn out, but I won't have a problem if they select him in this draft.

I had a few thoughts while watching the Syracuse-USC video that one of our posters put up last week.

I was impressed with Nassib in the Southern Cal game. I was in a distinct minority.

The talent difference was huge, he typically had very little time to throw and the windows were small and closed fast. As the game wore on you could see that he adjusted to the speed of the USC defense and under the circumstances, I thought he played well. Again most of the posters here thought he sucked in that game so take it FWIW which is probably not much.

Also worth noting that the USC game was a kickoff classic - first game of the year. He definitely did improve as the game went on.

I gotta say that I am intrigued by what Syracuse did this year. When I look back on the Bills season offensively one thing struck me.....even more than the empty backfield. When the offense left the huddle there almost always appeared to be a lot of time wasted while Fitz read the defense before the ball was snapped. I know that Fitz is good at reading defenses but this is valuable time that could be used moving the ball. Offenses like the Patriots lead the league in plays from scrimmage because they are much more uptempo. I kept yelling at my TV screen all season watching the Bills "What are you waiting for!! Hike the damn ball!!!" Sometimes waiting so long that they were penalized for a delay of game!

Speed is what appeared to benefit Syracuse as well. When they started using a combination of the K-gun and NO offenses(both very fast paced), Syracuse started putting up big numbers. Reading the defense is nice and all, but picking up the pace and giving the defense no time to get a handle on what the offense is doing can reap bigger rewards. I am in no way saying that the K-gun alone is the answer, but mixing it in and moving more quickly is the trend that is taking over in the NFL. Buffalo's offense needs to pick up the pace and this new coaching staff could be just what we needed. This is also what makes Chip Kelly such a hot commodity. Doing things like going no huddle, lining up quickly, hiking quickly and getting rid of the ball quickly can really put a defense at a disadvantage. This is what I saw from the 'cuse offense and what I hope to see from the Bills next year.

Stats for Nassib http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ryan-nassib-1.html

You have to like that he improved in almost every statistical category each year he started. I've watched nearly every game he's played and he's not afraid to go deep and has had some success doing it. That it happened rarely may be more on his receiving corp than his ability or the willingness of the coaches to call the deep routes.

I'm not trying to sound like a harbinger of doom here, but the analysis sounds eerily similar to Chan and Fitz:

> When the ball is snapped, it moves fast: That's was one of Fitz's strengths (i.e., quick decisions, quick throws)

> Doesn't rely on bigger, faster personnel: Sounds like our offense of the last three years -- waterbugs and WRs who weren't physically imposing

> Bunch formations: Used pretty extensively by Chan in years 1 and 2, less so in year 3

> Limited use of the TE: Classic Chan Gailey

> A lot of shotgun: Yep. Hey, at least Marrone keeps a back in there...

> Get the ball out fast to compensate for protection issues: Typical Fitz/Chan offense. It wasn't until this year that our O-Line came together and Fitz didn't have to compensate for their weakness

> Struggles inside the red zone: Yeah.

Obviously the key differences are no empty sets, well executed, and well coached. Heck, even Chan's game plan could have been effective if it were well executed and well coached.

The Nassib-Fitz comparisons scare me a little, too:

> Gets the ball out really quick: That was Fitz's M.O.

> Tries to force it into places it doesn't belong: Another Fitz trait.

> Accurate on 15-20 yard passes: Sound familiar? Although, Fitz was more of a 10-15 guy (which was better than Two Yard Trent...)

> Throws with a lot of zip; doesn't push it downfield: Fitz fired bullets on short passes, couldn't throw the long ball to save his life.

Now, I'm not saying they're EXACTLY alike, but there are some definite similarities. In fact, even before I read the OP's analysis, I had watched a few S.U. game reels and felt Nassib looked a lot like Fitz in a lot of cases. Not always, but enough to make me wonder how much of an upgrade he'd really be.

All that being said, I think Marrone's offense will be better than Chan's, not because it's more innovative or cutting edge, but because it's more balanced, better executed, and better coached. He needs a good QB, but unlike Chan, he'll lean on other talented players rather than being sunk by an average or below average QB.

There are some similarities in offensive styles, but rather than being a bad thing I view that as a positive as the players have less of a learning curve that way.

I don't think the offense that Chan instituted was a bad thing and most of the elements he used with spread sets and bunch formations are used by NE and other successful teams with better QB's. I personally like to have a running back always in the mix so you can keep a defense honest, but that only really works if they are afraid of the QBs arm and don't cheat extra support towards stopping the run.

I am not sold on Nassib, but better minds than mine that understand the upside of rookie QBs will be focusing on QBs this upcoming draft. I have to believe that they will take the best available QB for our needs whether it is Nassib where Marrone and Hackett have a thorough grasp of his abilities and upside, or a kid they have admired in another program that they feel has more to offer at the next level.

I do not think it is a lock that they will take Nassib, 8th overall is awfully high for this kid and for most of the QBs in this class. I hate the idea of the Bills reaching, if there is not a clear-cut difference between most of the top QBs in this class then they should take the best player available at #8 and then grab the next best QB out of the pack that is available in the 2nd. Just my 2 cents worth.

I also jotted down some initial impression of Ryan Nassib

The really glaring thing I noticed is his accuracy really suffers when he doesn't set his feet, especially when it's a designed roll. The ball certainly gets there in a hurry but it's either overthrown or short-hopped.

He throws a nice deep ball when he sets his feet.

The really glaring thing I noticed is his accuracy really suffers when he doesn't set his feet, especially when it's a designed roll. The ball certainly gets there in a hurry but it's either overthrown or short-hopped.

Appears that could be overcome with more proper coaching.

Yep. I was actually more impressed than I thought I would be with his arm and accuracy. He has a pretty high ceiling. Sometimes, repeat, sometimes, that footwork thing can be corrected, or they just work on it and improve with age and experience. Sometimes the guy just panics when pressure is on and you cannot coach it out of him.

The intriguing thing to me about the Marrone/Hackett and ensuing Nassib to the Bills concept is they are NOT going to go after him out of nepotism or familiarity or because he knows the offense. In effect, if they draft him, they are betting their professional careers on this guy. The only way they do it is if they truly believe he has what it takes. We're betting on these guys to know what it takes to win in this league, and to make good personnel decisions. I don't know Nassib all that well, from only seeing a game or two and some highlights.

But I almost want them to draft him now, because that means they think the guy is a stud. If they have crappy personnel skills they are going to be out of a job in three years whether they draft him or not.

The intriguing thing to me about the Marrone/Hackett and ensuing Nassib to the Bills concept is they are NOT going to go after him out of nepotism or familiarity or because he knows the offense. In effect, if they draft him, they are betting their professional careers on this guy. The only way they do it is if they truly believe he has what it takes. We're betting on these guys to know what it takes to win in this league, and to make good personnel decisions.

I would agree with this. They may "love" the kid and all that, but at the end of the day, they would be staking their future on the pick. If they picked him at the # 8 slot, that would be a serious indictment of what they really think of his potential.