What should the Bills do at #8?

Everyone wants to trade either up or down in the draft. Almost never happens. I got no problem with wishful thinking but don't get your hopes up.

really? Because every year the first round is like a circus of people trading up and down all over the place. Just last year there was 16 moves in the first round. Some of them from years before, but 16 moves regardless. Hell, there was 6 moves in the first 7 picks last year.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-draft/2012/4/27/2980126/nfl-draft-results-1st-round-2012

KC may want the 8th spot...after they pick up a FA QB and realize that the best value for their #1 spot will be in other teams draft picks. At 8 they can get one of the top stud OTs.

Question is: would we pull that move for Geno Smith?

Geno Smuth will be a BAD QB in the NFL. Mark it down in Marble and use it for his gravestone.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is way to early to talk about specific players or positions in the draft. It's like trying to predict the weather a year in advance.

We have to wait and see what base defense we are going to run, which of our our free agents we bring back, what other players we cut, what player we pick up as free agents, what players do at their pro days and the combine, which players fail physicals or get arrested or some other red flags pop up.

Way too much happens between now and the draft to really talk specifics, with the exception of Nassib because of his relationship to Marrone and Hackett. I think we all agree that the Bills need to address QB, LB, CB, WR and TE along with depth elsewhere. Whether that is done in free agency or he draft remains to be seen.

The Rams have two first rd picks and need an OT - Taylor Lewan has decided to remain in school so Eric Fisher might be the only first round OT other than Luke Joeckel who will probably be taken in the top five- there may be two teams who could pick an OT between the Bills and the Rams- so I could see the Bills trading down to the 16 and picking up the Rams 2nd - at 16 the Bills would have a good shot at Alec Ogletree LB, Johnathan Banks , Xavier Rhodes CBs, Sam Montgomery, Ezekiel Ansah DEs and all the WRs except 1.

Do not draft Nassib unless its 4th round or later...

Sorry but the majority of the Professional talent scouts can't get this right why would we believe have more knowledge then they do? If he gets picked with a first or a seventh that will be his value. Not what we or any team that doesn't selects him believes. If a team feels their pick is who they want and they don't want to loss out then that is where that player should be picked.

Especially now when the cash layout has dropped so much there is no reason not to take a flyer, if you have faith in your choice. IMO

I like your idea. Especially the drafting of multiple linebackers! Granted we need a WR and QB bad. You reminded me of something Nix said in regards to Cincinnati drafting Dalton and Green.

Way too much happens between now and the draft to really talk specifics, with the exception of Nassib because of his relationship to Marrone and Hackett.

wonder if this will cause other teams interested Nassib to attempt to trade infront of us?

Most of the "experts" that have appeared on Sirius NFL Radio seem to think that DE, DT, and the LB positions are the deepest in the draft. I would be fine with a LB or Pass Rushing DE at 8. Yes, I know the bills spent a billion dollars on pass rushers last year, but can you have too many? I would only take a DE if that player had a much higher grade than the other players available at 8, but it could work out that way.

Why even talk draft at this juncture? There is a little known period ffrom mid march to mid april they call free agency. free agency influences/impacts a team's draft stragtegy greatly.

When a new coach is hired and they go through their evaluation process, it is enevitable, there is a roster purge, small or huge. Guys like Fitz, Barnett, Wilson, Kelsay, K. Williams, McGee are sure to be options that will be given consideration. The only two Bills FA that will be considered to be re-signed are Byrd & Levitre... and there's no guarantee the Bills will pony up for either. Trimming the bad money frees up good money and provides flexibility, whether in signing the afore mentioned UFAs nad/ or pursuing mid level FAs to fill holes temporarily. Also, TE needs to be given consideration. Marrone uses them a lot more then the previous Bills coaches and he probably knows Dickerson from Pitt as well as the video from his Bills performance... he may/or may not be allowed to walk. Even though Chandler has a relatively new contract, we all know he's likely to be PUPed and won't be be back til mid season. Bills ain't going with a temporary TE... they are going to get a starter and deal with Chandler when they have to. Yeah.... this year March Madness is going to extend to the NFL.. and specifically the 7 (maybe 8) teams with new HC's and staffs.

I figured this would be kind of fun to see what you guys think we should do, or what you would like to see us do.

I personally would like to see us trade back into a later spot in the first, maybe into the teens. Then trade back again into the 20's to pickup a 2nd pick this round select Justin Hunter out of Tennessee. Big physical wideout was coming off an acl injury, and took a little time to get going again. He is the real deal though, I saw him play in high school as well.

With our second 1st rd pick take Nassib. QB and Wideout of the future done.

Early second take the best available LB whether he be inside or outside

Next pick take the best available LB.

To note when I say best available I mean fits your system the best. Alla NE.

Give me your ideas, and no one is right or wrong here, because we don't get paid.

Go Bills!!!

These moves you propose would really be refreshing but a different approach from OBD but I'll play along. Playing devil's advocate if these moves were made (it does take two to tangle) it addresses a perceived immediate need but I like the NE model (where I believe the analytics apply). By trading out of the 1st rd and get more value in rounds 2-4...this model worked pre rookie salary cap & IMO it could still play a factor. If the "new" FO believe the aggressive approach is the norm? Then the whole build through the draft may take a hit because future picks will have to be included in this wheeling & dealing...I know its great for the blogs because it keeps us relevant. Your choice of a QB and a WR is good BUT Nassib is NOT that guy in the 1st rd, IMO this is not the whole Tannehill to the Dolphins...My choice's would be (if your scenario plays out);

1 rd - pick (teens)- LB or OL highest rated that fits scheme

1 rd- pick (20's)- QB Glennon or WR Hunter

2nd- (early)- whichever I didn't get with pick in the 20's- maybe here for Nassib or if Geno fell here

This might seem a bit crazy, but it seems like all that matters in today's NFL is who your QB is. So let's lean into it and see what happens.

Assuming no QBs go before the Bills pick at 8, they should draft the one they have rated highest on their board; Mike Glennon, Geno Smith, Barkley etc. Thenn in round two grab Nassib, after that draft LBs or WRs the rest of the way. They do this plus sign their own FAs this offseason and I think they give themselves the best possible chance for righting the ship.

I realize this strategy will get trashed but considering the long list of duds the Bills usually take in the second round (Cordy Glenn last year being an exception), I think this strategy has a lot of merit. And I know a lot of people might say just grab whatever QB falls in the second round and grab a better value guy at another position like LB at 8, but recent history has shown that teams seem more willing than ever to reach for QBs, even when they have their starters already. (Seattle - Wilson, Washington - Cousins, Philly - Foles, etc).

My fear is that in typical Buffalo fashion the Bills will let gems like Byrd and Levitre go (not to mention Carrington) and wind up having to burn draft picks on inferior replacements.

I figured this would be kind of fun to see what you guys think we should do, or what you would like to see us do.

I personally would like to see us trade back into a later spot in the first, maybe into the teens. Then trade back again into the 20's to pickup a 2nd pick this round select Justin Hunter out of Tennessee. Big physical wideout was coming off an acl injury, and took a little time to get going again. He is the real deal though, I saw him play in high school as well.

With our second 1st rd pick take Nassib. QB and Wideout of the future done.

Early second take the best available LB whether he be inside or outside

Next pick take the best available LB.

To note when I say best available I mean fits your system the best. Alla NE.

Give me your ideas, and no one is right or wrong here, because we don't get paid.

Go Bills!!!

I watched Nassib against USC & he did nothing for me, i don't know how many top defenses he played against but on my personal impression scale he didn't score real high.

Taj Boyd, is staying for his senior season which he was my pick but i think he made a good move, Barkley is well another USC QB & given the history i don't want to go there !! Geno Smith hopefully will be gone way before our pick Jones didn't show up for some important games & we already have one of those.

I would rather see us wait till a later round if possible go for a T. Wilson or T. Bray. They both have as big an arm as Nassib but showed better to me when it counted . But we do need a QB & seeing as we have Nassibs HC & OC it's pretty much a given where we will go ...

Why even talk draft at this juncture? There is a little known period ffrom mid march to mid april they call free agency. free agency influences/impacts a team's draft stragtegy greatly.

When a new coach is hired and they go through their evaluation process, it is enevitable, there is a roster purge, small or huge. Guys like Fitz, Barnett, Wilson, Kelsay, K. Williams, McGee are sure to be options that will be given consideration. The only two Bills FA that will be considered to be re-signed are Byrd & Levitre... and there's no guarantee the Bills will pony up for either. Trimming the bad money frees up good money and provides flexibility, whether in signing the afore mentioned UFAs nad/ or pursuing mid level FAs to fill holes temporarily. Also, TE needs to be given consideration. Marrone uses them a lot more then the previous Bills coaches and he probably knows Dickerson from Pitt as well as the video from his Bills performance... he may/or may not be allowed to walk. Even though Chandler has a relatively new contract, we all know he's likely to be PUPed and won't be be back til mid season. Bills ain't going with a temporary TE... they are going to get a starter and deal with Chandler when they have to. Yeah.... this year March Madness is going to extend to the NFL.. and specifically the 7 (maybe 8) teams with new HC's and staffs.

I watch the Bills lose year in and year out. I can't wait to talk about the draft every year. It's all I have to look forward too!

I think it is early for draft talk too, we need to sign and then draft; in order of importance Andy, Byrd, Nelson and Carrington (actually I didn't know he was a FA but I will go with DC Grids assumpstion). We will need a QB, (or 2 maybe), WR, LB, TE (although I am not sure if Dickerson gets consideration, I personally like H backs), and CBs. Should be interesting to see what happens in FA and THEN the draft.

Many would argue that our most pressing "needs" for this football team would not include a pass rusher and I may be inclined to agree with them. However, at this point it doesn't appear that there is a QB or WR that would make sense at the #8 overall pick. Also, I'm not convinced that any Middle Linebacker presents as much value a potential elite pass rusher. From what I've seen and read, there are four pass rushers in this years draft that in most years would either be the #1 or #2 top pass rushers in those given drafts.

I believe that Mario is a good pass rusher, but from my view certainly not elite, so it's important that we get another guy to compliment him. With a new Defensive Coordinator it's hard to say what defensive scheme we will have in place, but my guess is that we will be implementing a "tweener" somewhere in the scheme, and I'm not convinced that either Anderson or Moore can be that guy.

Here is a list of four guys that I believe could be immediate impact pass rushers next year.

1) Bjoern Werner

6'4 256 lbs. He's one of those maniacs with good combo of size and speed. Sort of like a JJ Watt or Kevin Greene kinda player.

STRENGTHS: Werner has good get-off quickness and bend to beat blockers off the snap. Natural instincts and upside makes him an attractive pass-rushing prospect for teams selecting in the top five. Still developing, with a high ceiling, but already shows outstanding football awareness, reading the ballcarrier and batting down passes at the line of scrimmage. Strong hands to win the edge and get around blockers, using his body strength and feet to flatten to the pocket.

WEAKNESSES: Room to improve chase skills against the run. Still raw, having taken up football at the agent of 15 and starting for only two seasons at FSU.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737758

2) Jarvis Jones

6'2 242

Probably the most versatile of the LB's, can drop back into coverage, defend well against the run and is a phenomenal pass rusher.

Jones earned playing time immediately with the Trojans, seeing time primarily on special teams and as a backup strong-side linebacker in their 4-3 alignment. Jones suffered a sprained neck in the eighth game of the season (Oregon), however, and missed the rest of the year. Team doctors refused to clear him for participation the following spring and after seeking other opinions, Jones elected to transfer back to Georgia.

He sat out the 2010 campaign per NCAA guidlines on transfers before absolutely exploding onto the SEC scene last season. Primarily asked to rush the passer as an outside linebacker in Georgia's 3-4 alignment, Jones led the SEC in sacks (13.5) and tackles for loss (19.5) while posting 70 tackles overall (second on the team by two stops), earning consensus first-team all-conference honors, quite a few All-American nods and was voted a finalist for the Butkus Award as the nation's best linebacker.

Analysis

Far from just a pass rusher, Jones proved capable of playing the run as well as dropping back into coverage, demonstrating the combination of instincts, passion and physicality to catch the attention of scouts despite the fact that 2011 was his first season as a starter.

Despite the fact that he likely would have earned a high grade from scouts, Jones elected to not even request a grade from the NFL Advisory Committee. Now that he has returned to Georgia for his redshirt junior season, Jones has the burden of proving that his spectacular first campaign with the Bulldogs wasn't a fluke. Based on the agility, power and hustle with which he played a season ago, that shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664190

Barkevious Mingo

6'4 240

Is the most athletic out of the bunch, runs in the mid 4.5's with tremendous explosion

Like most of LSU's top players, Mingo was a highly regarded prep prospect. Unlike the majority of the Tigers, however, he hadn't been highly touted for long as Mingo only began playing football as a junior in high school. Nevertheless, the speed Mingo had demonstrated as a track athlete that led the coaches at West Monroe High School (West Monroe, La.) to convince him to play quickly resulted in his catching the attention of college teams, as well.

Mingo signed with LSU in 2009 but redshirted. Mingo proved himself to be a playmaker once he did get on the field, however, posting 35 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and two forced fumbles despite only starting one game (saw action in all 13) in 2010.

Though he'd demonstrated great speed off the edge and uncommon awareness to get those long arms into passing lanes (second on the team with six passes defensed), no one could have foreseen his breakout 2011 campaign. The LSU coaches certainly didn't. Mingo began the season behind veteran Ken Adams at left defensive end and actually only started four games last year. That didn't stop him from registering 46 tackles, including 15 tackles for loss (leading the team) and eight sacks (second on team).

Analysis

While Mingo might be a bit raw considering he's only started five collegiate games, he is perfectly built for today's frenzied pass rush. He is a long-armed, explosive athlete who plays with surprising power despite his lack of ideal weight.

While a bit inconsistent at the snap, when he times it right Mingo can explode off the ball past the tackle, using a good shoulder dip and surprisingly powerful hands to rip through contact and take the corner.

What is exciting about Mingo is that he's not just a physical freak but a surprisingly instinctive, technically refined football player. Mingo's use of his arms and hands belie his experience. He uses them well to keep distance between himself and the tackle and has a natural feel for pass rushing, showing good lateral agility, flexibility and creativity with his fakes to get the bigger man leaning. He has a very good spin move that he likes to use against interior offensive linemen when stunting back inside. He locates the ball quickly, shows good vision and balance to get to the action and closes with a pop.

Mingo may lack the size of a traditional 4-3 defensive end but with teams becoming increasingly interested in hybrid defenders who can play multiple roles, his weight isn't likely to be a problem. The NFL loves pass rushers and therefore they'll love Mingo. He just might be the best pass rusher in the country and checks in at No. 3 on my Big Board.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1751313

Damontre Moore

6'4 250

Another guy that has a good combo of speed and power with great production throughout his collegiate career.

STRENGTHS: Possesses a lean, lanky build with plenty of room for additional muscle mass. Flashes a quick first step off the snap. Has long, strong arms and uses his hands well to defeat blocks.

Generates impressive speed off the edge, including a late burst to close. Good flexibility to dip under the tackle's reach and has the long arms to keep his opponent from grabbing a hold of him.

Lines up in a variety of spots and is capable of beating defenders with his quickness, as well as bull rush and a complimentary spin move that he'll use to slip inside or outside. Improving strength as a run defender. Generally does a nice job of sealing off the edge to keep his containment responsibilities.

Locates the ball well and pursues with passion. Closes on the ballcarrier quickly and shows good strength for the drag-down tackle. Rips away at the ball when he can, showing the ability to force fumbles (8 over three seasons). Developing use of hands to get into passing windows and when rushing kickers, blocking two kicks in 2012.

Showed surprising awareness, lateral agility and straight-line speed when asked to drop back into coverage.

WEAKNESSES: Inconsistent get-off at the snap and does not appear to have elite explosiveness, overall. Remains a work in progress in terms of getting his hands up as a pass defender, posting only two pass breakups in 2012.

Has a tendency to allow his pad level to get too high when in run support and can be knocked back off the ball because of it. Makes a disproportionate number of his tackles five yards downfield due to his hustle and isn't the consistently dominant defender his statistics might indicate.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737651

Let's spend a first rounder on a position we just spent unbelievable amounts of money on. Werner will be gone, as will Jones likely. If Jones is there, I don't want him anyways. He can't cover and he has spinal issues that will shorten his career. Moore can't cover the run. Mingo is the only one that will be there and doesn't have outstanding issues, but he's not worth the 8th pick over bigger needs.