Bills hire Mike Pettine for Defensive Coordinator

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest from The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle's Sal Maiorana:

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

So, all is quiet on the coordinator front. Nothing official from #Bills yet. Pettine and Hackett. Who really knows?

"With the Buffalo Bills’ recent hiring of Mike Pettine as the new defensive coordinator, much has been made regarding the style of defense that the team will play in 2013. The Bills failed in their attempt to operate out of the 3-4 defensive front in 2011, only to revert back to the four man front in 2012.

Mike Pettine’s defenses with the New York Jets have been operating out of a 3-4 base, however they aren’t strictly a 3-4 team. Similar to his defenses with the Baltimore Ravens, Pettine’s defenses have really operated out of a variation of the 4-3 over defense, which shifts the defensive line to the strong side (the side with more players) of the offense, utilizing a standing right defensive end almost as a pass rushing linebacker.

These “hybrid” defenses have been very effective, as the Jets have finished no lower than eighth in total defense since Pettine arrived in New York prior to the 2009 season. The base 3-4 defense needs big, strong defensive linemen that can occupy blockers. This is why most teams that use the three man front often convert defensive tackles to the defensive end position. All three lineman are responsible for stopping the run on every down.

Players like Haloti Ngata and Muhammed Wilkerson were essential to his defenses, because they had the ability to play the outside three technique, which is playing on the inside shoulder of a guard, or the five technique, which is over the outside shoulder of a guard, while also being able to shift inside and play defensive tackle in the four man front.

This versatility allowed them to stay on the field, and Marcell Dareus is perfect for this position. The Bills drafted Dareus with the intentions of using him as a 3-4 defensive end out of Alabama, where he played the position for three seasons."

http://queencitysports.net/bills/mike-pettines-hybrid-defense-and-how-it-works/

The latest from The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle's Sal Maiorana:

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

So, all is quiet on the coordinator front. Nothing official from #Bills yet. Pettine and Hackett. Who really knows?

Christ, Sal refused to believe they had hired Marrone as well.

what a jerk, waiting for official confirmation and all.

Do you follow his tweets? Jerk pretty much sums it up. With as widely reported as the Pettine hire has been (Mortenson et al), it's ridiculous for him to act as though he's "not sure" it's the truth.

Anyone else concerned about this hire? Mike Pettine was often stripped of playcalling duties by Rex because the defense was not playing up to it's potential, and this season there d-line struggled to rush the passer. There is also reports that Pettine leaked info to the media, which added fuel to the ruckus that was the 2012 Jets season.

As enthralled as everyone is by this hire, remember that we have the student (Pettine) and not the teacher (Ryan)

Anyone else concerned about this hire? Mike Pettine was often stripped of playcalling duties by Rex because the defense was not playing up to it's potential, and this season there d-line struggled to rush the passer. There is also reports that Pettine leaked info to the media, which added fuel to the ruckus that was the 2012 Jets season.

As enthralled as everyone is by this hire, remember that we have the student (Pettine) and not the teacher (Ryan)

I believe there is probably much we don't know about how things ran inside the Jets locker room. You raise some valid points and I guess we'll have to wait and see. My sneaking suspicion is that Pettine and Rex might not have as much "love" for one another as Rex tried to have everyone believe at his press conference yesterday, and Pettine is relishing the opportunity to stick it to his former boss a couple of times a year.

Not really. While Rex may be the master, Pettine was there when they cooked up the most innovative strategies. I also think that we have a more talented line that the Jets have this year, it was always more a matter of getting them to play up to expectations.

It is imperative that the Bills get Marcell Dareus to live up to his lofty draft position as the #3 pick in the entire draft. He is a key element in turning the defense around IMO. Here's to Pettine and his defensive staff in getting Dareus there.

Word

Jets fans are saying Pettine wasn't a good play caller and wasn't agressive like Rex. They said he would get too conservative and that's why Rex took his play calling duties away.

I really hope that's not true. I really liked the idea of an aggressive/attacking defense.

Jets fans are saying Pettine wasn't a good play caller and wasn't agressive like Rex. They said he would get too conservative and that's why Rex took his play calling duties away.

I really hope that's not true. I really liked the idea of an aggressive/attacking defense.

I was just getting used to Wanny's bend-AND-break defense... Flex-AND-Fail works too...

well, rex has said that publicly more than a couple times. rex really didnt treat the defense all that well the last few years though. im guessing thats why he chose to leave.

how what was presented publicly translates to what was actually happening behind the scenes is anybodys guess, as it was totally dysfunctional in jets camp. i know pettine has made public "jokes" about how rex can take more responsibility but he cant blame him if it goes bad so... perhaps rex nailed him for some of his own mistakes.

Do you follow his tweets? Jerk pretty much sums it up. With as widely reported as the Pettine hire has been (Mortenson et al), it's ridiculous for him to act as though he's "not sure" it's the truth.

He is a real jerk. Even Jerry Sullivan thinks so. Ysterday on wgr Sully made a comment about maiorana saying "talk about a guy with no soft side". Maioranas twitter is a brutal follow

Their defesne was better with Pettine calkiung than Rexmeister.