Bills hire Mike Pettine of the Jets as DC???

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few articles to get you away from 3-4 thoughts with Pettine/Jets. Rex basically has adapted his dad's 4-6 to fit any front now.

http://bit.ly/9dCigU

http://www.nytimes.c...avens.html?_r=0

http://www.washingto...5061301547.html

http://sportsillustr...erpt/index.html

http://www.baltimore...e-ravens-hybrid

Don't get caught up with specific schemes. Pettine Isn't Wannstedt. Pettine can scheme 34, 43, 46, 5-2, 3-3 etc. Adapt to personnel. Pettine shows so many different looks it's tough to single him to a "34 guy". This is what creative d-coordinators do. I would love this hire!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I don't want to be married to the 3-4, and i don't think the Bills are. I would much prefer a Hybrid Front defense which we do have some of the personnel for. Mario can play any position in the front 7. Mark Anderson flourished in a system like this with the Pats last year. Marcell can play any position on the DL, but could serve well in a role similar to Vince Wilfork in NE. Kyle Williams is your penetrating DT on pass downs, can play DE in some fronts. Carrington is a versatile DL, can play DE in a 3 man line or DT in a 4 man line.

We would need to add LBs, but we would need them whether we switch to a 34 base or stay with the 43 base.

My point is that the defense was so bad last year and the years before NOT because of our base scheme (and actually the defense was statistically better when we ran a 34 base), but because of the philosophy of the Defensive Coordinator. I doesn't matter what defense we run as long as we are more aggressive and have better gameplans.

I don't want to be married to the 3-4, and i don't think the Bills are. I would much prefer a Hybrid Front defense which we do have some of the personnel for. Mario can play any position in the front 7. Mark Anderson flourished in a system like this with the Pats last year. Marcell can play any position on the DL, but could serve well in a role similar to Vince Wilfork in NE. Kyle Williams is your penetrating DT on pass downs, can play DE in some fronts. Carrington is a versatile DL, can play DE in a 3 man line or DT in a 4 man line.

We would need to add LBs, but we would need them whether we switch to a 34 base or stay with the 43 base.

My point is that the defense was so bad last year and the years before NOT because of our base scheme (and actually the defense was statistically better when we ran a 34 base), but because of the philosophy of the Defensive Coordinator. I doesn't matter what defense we run as long as we are more aggressive and have better gameplans.

Pettine is not married to a single scheme. As someone else mentioned one of his staples is a 46 defense which actually is more based off of the base 43. It's also a myth that the bills ran a 34 scheme with Gailey, well only the first year with Edwards we did that. The 2nd year under Edwards was a hybrid scheme were we ran the majority of the defense of out of the base 43. The defense actually got worse as we progressed more to the 43...lol This year under Wannstedt was just a "fit it up" vanilla as you can get 43. No adjustments, no blitzes, no looks/movement pre-snap.

Like I said earlier, don't get wrapped up in base 34 this, 43 that. It's irreleveant for the most part. What's more important is the competency of the D-Coordinator and his ability to scheme and adapt to the personnel as the season progresses.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

From the comments section in the Gang Green article, here are quotes atttibuted to Pettine:

"I’m not in it for the credit," Pettine said in an interview in the team’s cafeteria. "I only want a ring. If it’s one of those things where it’s going to be identified as Rex’s defense, that’s fine."

Pettine smiled and said: "It’s like I told Rex, ‘Just make sure your name’s on it when we’re not playing well.’ It doesn’t matter to me who’s in charge."

That certainly sounds like the team-first, no-ego sort of coach Marrone talked about in yesterday's presser.

From the comments section in the Gang Green article, here are quotes atttibuted to Pettine:

Pettine smiled and said: "It’s like I told Rex, ‘Just make sure your name’s on it when we’re not playing well.’ It doesn’t matter to me who’s in charge."

That certainly sounds like the team-first, no-ego sort of coach Marrone talked about in yesterday's presser.

He's fully in charge now, no doubt. All of the fingers now point DIRECTLY at Rex Ryan from owner to coach. LOVE it!!!!

I think this is our guy. Tucker's interesting, but this guy has Marrone written all over him.

Nice job, Russ - it took me eight days to go from despair to excitement, and the team hasn't played a game.

Seems like Tucker was the backup option should the Jets deny permission for Pettine.

"I’m not in it for the credit," Pettine said in an interview in the team’s cafeteria. "I only want a ring. If it’s one of those things where it’s going to be identified as Rex’s defense, that’s fine."

meh... yes and no... "ill step aside, but dont blame me for it" in the media sounds more like a guy thats living in a dysfunctional locker room and doesnt want to come up on the short end of the stick. nothing wrong with the comment, but no comment at all would likely be more "team first." he was covering his own butt a bit on that one. again, nothing wrong with that though.

Don't get caught up with specific schemes. Pettine Isn't Wannstedt. Pettine can scheme 34, 43, 46, 5-2, 3-3 etc. Adapt to personnel. Pettine shows so many different looks it's tough to single him to a "34 guy". This is what creative d-coordinators do. I would love this hire!

Exactly. I don't understand this "but he's a 4-3 3-4 guy only" thing around here. I see teams switch from 3-4 to 4-3 to 2-5 on a single set of downs all the time.

Exactly. I don't understand this "but he's a 4-3 3-4 guy only" thing around here. I see teams switch from 3-4 to 4-3 to 2-5 on a single set of downs all the time.

Agree, it's all about the players. If you have a number of very good LBs....get them on the field..

meh... yes and no... "ill step aside, but dont blame me for it" in the media sounds more like a guy thats living in a dysfunctional locker room and doesnt want to come up on the short end of the stick. nothing wrong with the comment, but no comment at all would likely be more "team first." he was covering his own butt a bit on that one. again, nothing wrong with that though.

Clearly the second part was Pettine making a joke. I'm more interested in the "I only want a ring" part.