Bills hire Mike Pettine of the Jets as DC???

Pettine is not married to a single scheme. As someone else mentioned one of his staples is a 46 defense which actually is more based off of the base 43. It's also a myth that the bills ran a 34 scheme with Gailey, well only the first year with Edwards we did that. The 2nd year under Edwards was a hybrid scheme were we ran the majority of the defense of out of the base 43. The defense actually got worse as we progressed more to the 43...lol This year under Wannstedt was just a "fit it up" vanilla as you can get 43. No adjustments, no blitzes, no looks/movement pre-snap.

Like I said earlier, don't get wrapped up in base 34 this, 43 that. It's irreleveant for the most part. What's more important is the competency of the D-Coordinator and his ability to scheme and adapt to the personnel as the season progresses.

I agree completely. I actually meant to say i don't want to be married to the 43, but i don't want to be married to any base defense. I want gameplanners and strategists as our coordinators moving forward and guys who are going to adapt to our weekly opponents.

I really think this job would be attractive to Pettine. We have some versatile lineman who can play a variety of positions in the front 7, and we a nice young potential #1 corner in Gilmore.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex is a giant A-hole. My guess is that permission is denied.

They already granted permission. I and others linked it above.

I agree completely. I actually meant to say i don't want to be married to the 43, but i don't want to be married to any base defense. I want gameplanners and strategists as our coordinators moving forward and guys who are going to adapt to our weekly opponents.

I really think this job would be attractive to Pettine. We have some versatile lineman who can play a variety of positions in the front 7, and we a nice young potential #1 corner in Gilmore.

Totally agree. As a first time DC where the whole show was yours, it's hard to imagine a much better opportunity for him. A HC who is an offensive guy but prefers an aggressive defense, with the talent and versatility the Bills have. Sure there are holes that MUST need to be filled, but not a lot of DC jobs are available where you walk into a talented team and it is your show.

Clearly the second part was Pettine making a joke. I'm more interested in the "I only want a ring" part.

im pretty sure it was a joke that was half true with rex taking responsibility away from him.... i dont think you say that unless its crossed your mind in atleast fleeting thoughts that your boss might toss you under the bus. this is a real dysfunctional locker room after all and rex has killed some of those D guys publicly even after good games.

like i said, not a concern at all, i just wouldnt read it as an overwhelmingly positive comment either. he had to say something and he brushed it off well.

Anyone know anything about the Jags DC who the Bills are also interviewing? I know nothing about him. For some reason, they don't play many Jacksonville games outside of FL! Thanks.

Totally agree. As a first time DC where the whole show was yours, it's hard to imagine a much better opportunity for him. A HC who is an offensive guy but prefers an aggressive defense, with the talent and versatility the Bills have. Sure there are holes that MUST need to be filled, but not a lot of DC jobs are available where you walk into a talented team and it is your show.

Thanks for the update. I was reading page after page trying to see if permission was granted, and looking at the news articles on TBD, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Pettine absolutely wants out of NY Jets....

#1- time to get out from under sexy rexy's thumb.....

#2- sexy rexy says he will be even more involved in the defense next year.

#3- Pettine turned down a contract extension with the jets a month ago.

#4- the jets are a circus...

#5- sexy rexy probably has one more year before woody fires him.

#6- the bills job offers security for 3+ years and an oppurtunity for Pettine to call this defense his own. which could lead to him becoming a head coach some day.

#7- the jets have been a top 5 defense, 3 of the last 4 years.

#8- his contract is up in two weeks, he is out of work and will probably take the first good offer.

this is a perfect situation for both the Bills and Pettine....it will happen.

Pettine would be a nice change of guard on the defensive side. Don't really care what scheme(s). Marrone noted they would install schemes that would best fit their personnel. That's the correct way to go about it. The roster as of today won't reflect whats on the field in September anyways.

My only question would be, all this guy has ever coached is the 3-4, would we be switching again? It killed this franchise and set it back a few years last time they did.

Besides the numerous posts here addressing your concerns, it's been posted in other threads on this subject that one-season turnaround from 4-3 to 3-4 have been successfully and recently been made.

It seems the coach is the most critical element.

Wade Phillips, Dom Capers, and Mike Nolan have all recently performed this feat.

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. Don't obsess over base scheme.

i can just see it... 3 years down the line "why dont we hire guys that are good at the base scheme we want - instead we got carmichael who is pass happy and pettine who ran a 34 and asked them to run a smashmouth team out of a base 43."

(just giving a hard time)

The one problem I have is that Pettine's D had a real problem getting to the QB this past season, finishing in the bottom five of the league in sacks.

they didnt have much in the way of pass rushers with pace and maybin... so ill give some leeway there.

i can just see it... 3 years down the line "why dont we hire guys that are good at the base scheme we want - instead we got carmichael who is pass happy and pettine who ran a 34 and asked them to run a smashmouth team out of a base 43."

(just giving a hard time)

Carmichael was pass happy when he was calling the plays but so is Peyton. There is no difference between the two. I don't have a problem with that when your QB is Drew Bress. New England can be pass happy...when you have great QB's work to your strength.

I wouldn't assume that with Carmichael if he gets hired in Buffalo.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever