ESPN: Chip Kelly staying at Oregon

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You definitely can't fault Kelly at all. The man can call his shot and if he doesn't like the offer, he can go back to being a god in a state with a college team with unlimited resources.

All the publicity he gets for NFL interviews gives him even more street cred. when it comes to recruiting.

I think the Bills caught wind of what Chip was doing and this led to them pulling the trigger on Marrone before Cleveland/Philly/SD could get to him. The Bills certainly acted with a sense of urgency and I think that is why. I hadn't even heard that Marrone was being seriously considered and then BAM at 5:30 am I see the Schefter tweet that he is our coach. Crazy weekend for sure!

Kelly is a waffler. Did it last year, too. I liked how Philly floated the idea that they were going to cancel their interview and move on after Kelly sat with Cleveland for 7 hours and had everyone convinced that's where he was going.

Not sure if it means that he'll never get another NFL interview. I kind of doubt that. But it's safe to say he'll never get another one with Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Buffalo, or Philly. And he's done nothing to help his credibility with the other 28 teams. It's a small community with little room for bad reputations.

GO BILLS!!!

Kelly is a waffler. Did it last year, too. I liked how Philly floated the idea that they were going to cancel their interview and move on after Kelly sat with Cleveland for 7 hours and had everyone convinced that's where he was going.

Not sure if it means that he'll never get another NFL interview. I kind of doubt that. But it's safe to say he'll never get another one with Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Buffalo, or Philly. And he's done nothing to help his credibility with the other 28 teams. It's a small community with little room for bad reputations.

GO BILLS!!!

agreed. he will certainly get another shot, but he wont have the same leverage in it as they will be pushing for a fast decision or moving on. this playing 3 teams against each other to squeeze every little bit wont work if after 3 days he isnt even coming to the nfl. its one thing to choose another team, but wasting guys time isnt appreciated.

GO BILLS!!!

He will definitely get more opportunities but I think they will happen behind the scenes. Cleveland and Philly are looking really bad right about now. Thank god we aren't them. Our fans would be going nuts I think!

"The Browns landed in Arizona and spent valuable time zeroing in on their No. 1 target. Meanwhile, their No. 2 target, Doug Marrone, became the new head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

The Eagles also were interested in Marrone"

http://www.nfl.com/n...k-at-square-one

Eagles being interested in Doug does not mean he was their 2nd choice.

So after the dust has settled from this weekend I had this thought:

If Marrone looked over tapes from all of the teams he would interview with and came away with the feeling that the Bills had the best talent, is it possible that Kelly did the same thing? Did he perhaps view the Bills as the job he wanted and when it closed he didn't want to force a move to the NFL? Just spitballin' but it was a thought that ran through my mind.

So after the dust has settled from this weekend I had this thought:

If Marrone looked over tapes from all of the teams he would interview with and came away with the feeling that the Bills had the best talent, is it possible that Kelly did the same thing? Did he perhaps view the Bills as the job he wanted and when it closed he didn't want to force a move to the NFL? Just spitballin' but it was a thought that ran through my mind.

Certainly plausible. I'm also not certain Marrone wasn't the Bills' top choice (as opposed to No. 2 as many have presumed). I think the "fearsome foursome" (Russ/Buddy/Whaley/Overdorf) went out to Arizona knowing they were coming back with a head coach. Five interviews, Marrone became the favorite, and they pulled the trigger. Decisive, definitive...love it.

Chip Kelly will get more offers if he continues to produce at Oregon -- it's just the nature of the business.

He will definitely get more opportunities but I think they will happen behind the scenes. Cleveland and Philly are looking really bad right about now. Thank god we aren't them. Our fans would be going nuts I think!

We had our quota of bad karma three seasons ago, when the Fricking Kurt Schottenheimer refused to interview with the Bills for the HC position. Thankfully, now we have the chance to pick the coach that our front office wanted.

We had our quota of bad karma three seasons ago, when the Fricking Kurt Schottenheimer refused to interview with the Bills for the HC position. Thankfully, now we have the chance to pick the coach that our front office wanted.

Wasn't that Brian Schottenheimer?

I ask for someone to find a single quote attributed to Chip Kelly saying "I am moving on to the NFL"?

What he did say pre Fiesta Bowl was I have told my agent set up interviews if there are interested party's. I have a game to play and this NFL talk is a distraction. After the game I will listen.

Kelly HAS not turned is back on the NFL 2 years in a row. In 2011 the tampon Bay Bucks offered him a contract in the 3.5 million per range. Kelly probably makes that in O. He left, Not a single other team showed interest. 2013 he said on the tube. "I will listen to offers, I want it done fast". ESPN bobbleheads stated that "total control" was not a prime concern for Kelly.

He left NO one at the altar last week since he got zero offers.

People on this board calling him a arrogant A-Hole sound butt hurt IMO. Nothing about the man speaks arrogant. Billy Bellicheat is a prime example of arrogance IMO.

Chris Mortinson said Kelly interviewed with 2 teams Browns, Eagles. Maybe the time spent in the Hotel conference room with the Bills? was so short, it was not considered a interview.

Flame away if you wish. Myself, a 3 hour drive and I'm in too see the 2013 Kelly Ducks. Saturday's games this past year were a nice offset the torture Gailey would put NFL fans through on Sunday's.

GO BILLS

Edited by Best Player Available

Chip Kelly said himself that head coaching is overrated (he said that in answering a question about his offense). Personally when i watch Oregon play, i see better players. He has better talent over there than almost everyone else in that league. In the NFL, since the talent is dispersed evenly i really don't think his scheme would be nearly as successful. He's be an interesting hire, don't get me wrong, but i don't think Cleveland fans or Philly should shed a tear over this. There's no way Chip Kelly would ever live up to his (or ESPN's) hype.

I ask for someone to find a single quote attributed to Chip Kelly saying "I am moving on to the NFL"?

What he did say pre Fiesta Bowl was I have told my agent set up interviews if there are interested party's. I have a game to play and this NFL talk is a distraction. After the game I will listen.

Kelly HAS not turned is back on the NFL 2 years in a row. In 2011 the tampon Bay Bucks offered him a contract in the 3.5 million per range. Kelly probably makes that in O. He left, Not a single other team showed interest. 2013 he said on the tube. "I will listen to offers, I want it done fast". ESPN bobbleheads stated that "total control" was not a prime concern for Kelly.

He left NO one at the altar last week since he got zero offers.

People on this board calling him a arrogant A-Hole sound butt hurt IMO. Nothing about the man speaks arrogant. Billy Bellicheat is a prime example of arrogance IMO.

Chris Mortinson said Kelly interviewed with 2 teams Browns, Eagles. Maybe the time spent in the Hotel conference room with the Bills? was so short, it was not considered a interview.

Flame away if you wish. Myself, a 3 hour drive and I'm in too see the 2013 Kelly Ducks. Saturday's games this past year were a nice offset the torture Gailey would put NFL fans through on Sunday's.

GO BILLS

I agree with this, just listening to Kelly talk when they brought up the issue during the Fiesta Bowl, he never seemed interested in going to the NFL. It was more like you said, 'yeah I've heard teams are interested and after the game we'll talk', but he said he had no idea what interviews were setup or what teams were interested.

I think for Kelly it was just a matter of seeing if any team could convince him to leave Oregon, but he probably had it in his head all along that he wanted to stay. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this, just listening to Kelly talk when they brought up the issue during the Fiesta Bowl, he never seemed interested in going to the NFL. It was more like you said, 'yeah I've heard teams are interested and after the game we'll talk', but he said he had no idea what interviews were setup or what teams were interested.

I think for Kelly it was just a matter of seeing if any team could convince him to leave Oregon, but he probably had it in his head all along that he wanted to stay. Nothing wrong with that.

Correct. Something normal humans do day in day out. You are at this work place for past 10 years and the new start ups are enticing you to join. You go check them out and then at the end of the day figure that you are better of in your current place to take that next step into the unknown and you go back to being what you are today. Kelly did just that.

Chip Kelly said himself that head coaching is overrated (he said that in answering a question about his offense). Personally when i watch Oregon play, i see better players. He has better talent over there than almost everyone else in that league. In the NFL, since the talent is dispersed evenly i really don't think his scheme would be nearly as successful. He's be an interesting hire, don't get me wrong, but i don't think Cleveland fans or Philly should shed a tear over this. There's no way Chip Kelly would ever live up to his (or ESPN's) hype.

Well, Oregon certainly has better talent than the bottom feeders in the PAC 12, but teams like Stanford, USC, UCLA and even Washington have higher ranked recruiting classes. Most of Oregon's starters come from California (the state of Oregon has a small population--about the same as Orange County alone) so he has a built-in recruiting disadvantage and the weather in Eugene doesn't help either. The Ducks have not had a first-round draft pick since Jonathan Stewart, and that was pre-Chip Kelly. LaMichael James was Kelly's highest drafted player, and he was a late second rounder.

Kelly is smart to stay at Oregon.

He has the full backing of Nike, he gets whatever he wants in Eugene. He is a king there. I am sure he weighed his options and realized the money difference was not worth it. He can stay at Oregon for another 20 years and maybe win a NC at some point.

I do not blame him for staying. He also does not have to worry about whether his style will translate to the NFL now. He has proven success at the collegiate level and is getting paid good money.