Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they were arguably 1 and 2

I understand. I'm quoting Schefter.

Sheffter said outside of Kelly who looks like he may go back to Oregon.

Gotcha.

I will add this... given the rumors circling around Kelly, I'm really feeling better about the Bills being no where near that guy right now. So, maybe Maronne is the better hire of those two. Still doesn't get me all excited by the selection, but I guess it is what it is.

What are you babbling about? It wasn't that long ago that Syracuse was a national powerhouse. Between '87-98 they were nationally ranked 9 times, twice they were in the top 10. Paul Pasqualoni took them to 3 BCS bowls.

Marrone had a cup of coffee in Syracuse and alternated crappy and decent years in the Big East.

7 teams hired new coaches last season. Why didn't anyone mention Marrone's name after his 5-7 season in 2011? Did the "Pinstripe Bowl" in really make him a "hot" prospect?

College football has changed immensely since the late 90's. How exactly is Syracuse supposed to become a National Power (in short order), as in, consistent threat for a title, when they are:

1. Stuck in an area with poor to terrible recruiting base

2. Have garbage facilities compared to the real big boys

3. Were in an irrelevant conference

4. Had a program that wasn't much better than UB when Marrone took over

The best Syracuse can hope for currently is 8-9 win seasons with a Big East title. Last i checked, they had two 8 win seasons in 4 under Marrone, and tied for the conference title this season. What more can you ask for?

My bad your right. I retread the post and the first time I thought he was saying I must be only three years removed from HS. I stand corrected.

Only if you ask my wife.

Johnny football is a redshirt freshman. So after next season he will be three years removed from HS. So technically he can declare for the 2014 draft. Right?

Indeed, that is one of the funniest mis-reads I've seen... I probably would've slammed him too if that was what he truly said...

What are you babbling about? It wasn't that long ago that Syracuse was a national powerhouse. Between '87-98 they were nationally ranked 9 times, twice they were in the top 10. Paul Pasqualoni took them to 3 BCS bowls.

Marrone had a cup of coffee in Syracuse and alternated crappy and decent years in the Big East.

7 teams hired new coaches last season. Why didn't anyone mention Marrone's name after his 5-7 season in 2011? Did the "Pinstripe Bowl" in really make him a "hot" prospect?

To answer your question: actually, YES.

That is not to say I'm big proponent of Marrone's hire, as I love him for Syracuse but unsure about him for the BILLS....having said that, I'm not all that disturbed by his hire either....

I want to see results, but I like the man as a coach...will that translate into Ws at the NFL level?? Who knows...but the man himself is a very genuine guy who does bring some good experience, albeit not NFL experience, to the BILLS and I'm willing to give him an opportunity to see what type of team he is able to mold...

As for the last questions about this year's record....yes, this last win is signficant and the way Syracuse played in the Big East and made their way into a bowl game....Marrone could do more, but as we concede the fact that college is NOT the NFL as for coaching and talent, it is also NOT the NFL in means of how quickly you can effect the roster...you have to recruit, to get high school pimple faced, over hormoned and under-sexed football guys to choose the dead of freakin winter in upstate NY to play football...do I love the program and the university?? Absolutely, but I've called CNY home for most of my life.....to be objective, if a kid from Texas can play in that weather, and for that university that he has most likely been a fan of for most of his life, along with his family able to drive a relatively short distance to watch their kid play, it's pretty damn hard to get him to leave the state let alone choose Syrcause over Michigan, Penn State, etc....so, getting good players is not like the NFL and you MUST take that into consideration....in other words, it's not just his Wins and Losses, but it's HOW he has contructed that team and HOW he has developed that program when football at SU was on life-support just hoping to get the funding so they could gas the bus up for their next away game.....perspective is necessary when looking at this decision....and that's assuming it gets verified by someone in the BILLS FO and not just tweets and media heads talking about a "done deal".....

Here's what I can report, from the last story I filed. Four people familiar with negotiations have confirmed to the AP that Marrone has agreed to a deal with the Bills. One person said, the details of the contract are still being finalized. A formal announcement is not expected until either later today, or tomorrow. ... One person has said Marrone has already informed SU officials that he's leaving for an NFL job.

Marrone was identified as the team's leading candidate last night.

The Bills' scheduled interview with Mike McCoy in Denver was postponed by McCoy.

jw

It was basically a "done deal" since early AM, but I believe Marrone hesitated when he got wind of this...

More prep time delays Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Buffalo

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Nice to see you've got a new whack-job conspiracy theory to crusade endlessly about.

Thanks. And it's not surprising to see you being rude and disrespectful to someone who doesn't toe your line. If AKC ever graces this board again and comes back, perhaps you could drive him off again with your vicious tirades. After all, he didn't agree with your tambourine shaking love fests for players such as Losman, and thought that the Bills should get stronger at defensive tackle.

Screw him, right?

Thanks. And it's not surprising to see you being rude and disrespectful to someone who doesn't toe your line. If AKC ever graces this board again and comes back, perhaps you could drive him off again with your vicious tirades. After all, he didn't agree with your tambourine shaking love fests for players such as Losman, and thought that the Bills should get stronger at defensive tackle.

Screw him, right?

I've noticed that mentality on this forum today. Agree with the team or bite the dust.

1,084 replies (and counting) to this thread already! I'm really kind of shocked at this hire. But maybe (hopefully?) this will be a case of a guy who performs well everywhere he coaches. I personally would have preferred Lovie Smith, especially because he WANTED to come to Buffalo. But I wish all the luck to Coach Marrone. It will be interesting to see if he retains any assistants from Chan Gailey's staff..(Metzelaars, Joe D, DeHaven)

Go Bills in 2013! :beer:

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

It's not often that I agree with WEO, but this is one of those times. Not excited about this hire, but hope I turn out to be wrong....

College football has changed immensely since the late 90's. How exactly is Syracuse supposed to become a National Power (in short order), as in, consistent threat for a title, when they are:

1. Stuck in an area with poor to terrible recruiting base

2. Have garbage facilities compared to the real big boys

3. Were in an irrelevant conference

4. Had a program that wasn't much better than UB when Marrone took over

The best Syracuse can hope for currently is 8-9 win seasons with a Big East title. Last i checked, they had two 8 win seasons in 4 under Marrone, and tied for the conference title this season. What more can you ask for?

In an NFL HC? REally?

Anyway teams like Boise St became national powerhouses recently despite obvious location, recruiting and facility disadvantages. Even other teams in the Big East (like Louisville) had better records and performance than Syracuse despite the same limitations you cite.

So how did Marrone get no interest last offseason, yet now he's our HC?

I've noticed that mentality on this forum today. Agree with the team or bite the dust.

You need to understand the history of this board. No matter who the Bills hired, there was going to be a large contingent of people who would hate the hire and use it as proof that the they know better than everyone else. They'll pretend they have extensive knowledge of things they have no knowledge about, but be unable to answer any actual questions about options.

Some people can only tear down ideas.

Edited by jeremy2020