Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

i would guarantee that when it comes to the business of football, he is much smarter than anyone and everyone on this board. i know he is smarter than me, and for that reason i have to trust his decision

Meh. Whatever. I have a hard time accepting the fact that this front office is that much smarter than people on this board given 13 years with no playoff appearance. Yeah, Lovie missed the playoffs five out the last six seasons, but bringing in Marrone means starting from scratch - again. And, frankly, I'm just sick of it. And Lovie is waaaay different from the retreads we've hired in the past.

Plus, our biggest weakness this season was our D - we were awful on D. So what do we do? We hire another offensive minded coach. Yeah, Brandon's a genius.

Edited by MaineMoxie

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, just for fun, what do you think the record of Chip Kelly would have been had he taken over the Syracuse HC job the exact same way that Marrone did, keeping in mind that he wouldn't have hardly any of his own guys in year 1 after being hired on December 11, only true freshmen in year two, and the first year he would have had mostly his own guys was last year.

Personally, if he were able to get that team to 30-20 in four years would be very, very hard to believe, and he probably would be pretty close to 25-25. Sure, it's impossible to know to if you had to guess, what would you say and why? And remember, Kelly was OC for a couple years at Oregon before taking over, and they were a top 10 NCAA team before he got there as HC.

It doesn't take much in college ball to turn a program around. Look at Brian Kelly at both Cinci and then ND this year and look at pretty much every program Nick Saban has gone to. Look at Urban Meyers and what he is doing this year at Ohio State. I think it's proven over and over again that this is very doable at the college level and many other coaches have had better success than what Marrone has shown IMO

It doesn't take much in college ball to turn a program around. Look at Brian Kelly at both Cinci and then ND this year and look at pretty much every program Nick Saban has gone to. Look at Urban Meyers and what he is doing this year at Ohio State. I think it's proven over and over again that this is very doable at the college level and many other coaches have had better success than what Marrone has shown IMO

Ha ha ha...spoken like an expert.

PTR

What I find interesting? A lot of fans are bitching but just about every "NFL person" is applauding the move.......

Chip Kelly wasnt coming here

Do you go with a retread that has just been fired?

If you listen to Russ talk last week.....he said he was going to do a exhaustive coaching search (which he did) and he wanted new blood (which he got)

I applaud the move......but just as it would have been with any of the other coaches it is the ASSISTANTS that will determine if this was a great move or not

Congratulations, the Cleveland Browns, McNabb-less Philadephia Eagles and Turner-retaining Chargers think highly of Marrone. Boy, those are GREAT examples of franchises who we should emulate... *BARF*

Not for nothing, but um the only teams who would be thinking highly of a coach is a team who NEEDS a coach. Why would any other NFL franchise care?

So of course you wouldn't hear from San Fran, NE*, Pittsburgh, etc... But besides KC(who was hell bent on getting Reid), every other team without a HC had expressed interest in Marrone.

Enough Marrone bashing....lets see what kind of staff he puts together before we bash him. I for one am excited to see C.J. Spiller more in an offense that is similar to the offense I watch Syracuse use against West Virginia. As for the quarterback situation? We could do a lot worse than Ryan Nassib that was ranked 12th in the country for quarterbacks. I for one and ready for change and this hire is exactly that!!! It shows me that status quo is no longer acceptable so we will see.

Less than overwhleming hire. It will not excite the fans. It is a head scratcher. That being said, it may be the correct hire. While not sexy, he turned around a college program, which is not easy. He worked on successful pro staffs. He has an offensive background. Marrone has his work cut out in hiring a staff. He has to get a defensive coordinator who can get the talent that they have to play up to their potential. This reminds me of Indy hiring Chuck Pagano last year. Fans in Indy were disappointed but now love him. Time will tell if this was a good or bad hire. We all need to be patient.

I went to OSU and I LOVE Urban Meyer, but they played in an incredibly weak conference this year and struggled against teams with a lot less talent. It's also a program that wasn't in 'shambles'. They had a lot of talent, but the NCAA sanctions caused instability.

Edited by jeremy2020

wow, so it seems Nike CEO, Phil Knight may be making a polay to keep Kelly in Oregon...interesting

So Russ, Nix & Whaley decide to fish instead of sitting around cutting bait waiting for his highness to make a decision.

PTR

What I find interesting? A lot of fans are bitching but just about every "NFL person" is applauding the move.......

Chip Kelly wasnt coming here

Do you go with a retread that has just been fired?

If you listen to Russ talk last week.....he said he was going to do a exhaustive coaching search (which he did) and he wanted new blood (which he got)

I applaud the move......but just as it would have been with any of the other coaches it is the ASSISTANTS that will determine if this was a great move or not

Anyone the Bills hired was going to get this treatment. Cowher and Gruden included.

you do realize that there are several pro coaches in that article, including lovie smith....

I will pass on any of those guys. Lets get some really good coaches around this guy. Hope they learned from all the college coaches Gailey brought in

Honestly, just for fun, what do you think the record of Chip Kelly would have been had he taken over the Syracuse HC job the exact same way that Marrone did, keeping in mind that he wouldn't have hardly any of his own guys in year 1 after being hired on December 11, only true freshmen in year two, and the first year he would have had mostly his own guys was last year.

Personally, if he were able to get that team to 30-20 in four years would be very, very hard to believe, and he probably would be pretty close to 25-25. Sure, it's impossible to know to if you had to guess, what would you say and why? And remember, Kelly was OC for a couple years at Oregon before taking over, and they were a top 10 NCAA team before he got there as HC.

I don't disagree with your point, but when Kelly took over as HC, the Ducks were several years removed from being a top 10 NCAA team. In Bellotti's last few years, they finished in or near the middle of the PAC 12 and went to non-BCS bowl games. Kelly clearly took the program to a new level, without substantially upping the quality of the recruits being brought in. That being said, Kelly was taking over much different program than Marrone and there's no telling how well he would have done at SU.

Ha ha ha...spoken like an expert.

PTR

You act as if building a winning football program requires some kind of PhD and archaic formulas or something. I'm not saying it's easy. It's very hard, but it's not complicated.

Based on the schools involved, the only one of those guys you can compare Marrone to is Brian Kelly while he was at Cinci, and he's one of the best coaches in college football and fully deserves to get NFL consideration (he's recently said he has no interest).

You cannot compare the utter garbage Syracuse program to ND, Ohio State and Alabama.

I will pass on any of those guys. Lets get some really good coaches around this guy. Hope they learned from all the college coaches Gailey brought in

Did you even read the article? A) Some of the guys mentioned have extensive NFL experience and B) much of the article was to illustrate who he worked with in the past that can give him recommendations to pro coaches