Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Frankly, I don't know how anyone can not like the one week transformation from Ralph/Nix/Chan to Brandon/Whaley/Marrone. Granted it's not the perfect makeover, and we don't know for sure how long Nix will hang around, but this does NOT at all look like a Nix influenced hire. This looks like Whaley and Brandon. I'm excited about that aspect alone.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Fearless Leader strikes again!

Couldn't agree more. Plus, in order for a HC to be successful in the NFL, he has to have a good staff, he has to hire good coordinators, he has to have a front office feed him players that can play in his system or philosophy, he has to have a QB, and he has to have a lot of luck.

Yep, we might be able to judge him a little better after we hear his philosophy and see who he hires as coordinators.

Why didnt they at least interview the Cincinnati Coordinators (Zimmer and Gruden) and Bruce Arians of the Colts before making this decision?

Maybe because he who hires a HC first gets the early jump on hiring OC/DC.

Why is it so hard to for people to admit they don't know what they don't know?

The guy has a rather pedestrian resume, yet he is only one of a 1/2 dozen coaches among a pool of 100's of coaches that has received MULTIPLE interviews. I would not have hired him based on his Wikipedia page. However, given the support he has received across the NFL - I obviously don't possess all the facts necessary to pass judgment on him.

And I'm ok with that. I'm ok with not PRETENDING to know everything about everyone regarding every subject. For those of you unable to come to grips with your own limited knowledge base - you look foolish in your blustery, ignorant rants based upon a handful of facts.

I agree in principle. A mediocre 25-25 at a school like Syracuse being the highlight of his resume (I also believe he wasn't the primary OC for the Saints) leaves me uninspired. But I always preferred someone from a college to a failed NFL retread. So I'm ready to see what he can do rather than call him a bust before he is even signed ;)

I'm speaking of the process. Edit away, sometimes it may be hard to understand unless you have experience being recruited. Football is no different than a fortune 500 company. But were all entitled to an opinion.

An exception proves the rule? Are you serious? There's hundreds in pro ball in many sports.

List the examples in the NFL of a the organization reporting a deal being agreed to in principle and the candidate going another way versus the times the candidate joined.

I guess you have no idea.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone can not like the one week transformation from Ralph/Nix/Chan to Brandon/Whaley/Marrone. Granted it's not the perfect makeover, and we don't know for sure how long Nix will hang around, but this does NOT at all look like a Nix influenced hire. This looks like Whaley and Brandon. I'm excited about that aspect alone.

Also it's worth noting that our new Team President, soon-to-be GM and Head Coach are all very highly thought of by people around the league.

Looks like the players may have been notified

Donald@Dajones19

The new era begins in buffalo

Why is it so hard to for people to admit they don't know what they don't know?

The guy has a rather pedestrian resume, yet he is only one of a 1/2 dozen coaches among a pool of 100's of coaches that has received MULTIPLE interviews. I would not have hired him based on his Wikipedia page. However, given the support he has received across the NFL - I obviously don't possess all the facts necessary to pass judgment on him.

And I'm ok with that. I'm ok with not PRETENDING to know everything about everyone regarding every subject. For those of you unable to come to grips with your own limited knowledge base - you look foolish in your blustery, ignorant rants based upon a handful of facts.

Can this be automatically made the top post of every thread create don TBD?

A head coaching hire is a no-win situation from a perception standpoint unless one of the accepted and perceived 'big names' are attained. No matter which candidate it is, holes can be picked through each of them......I am celebrating this hire and I look forward to a Bills coach that can stick it to Belicheck ana Ryan finally!!!

More than once source says Marrone was Cleveland's 2nd choice and with us hiring Marrone, they are now in "Kelly or bust mode." Apparently, they don't consider their #3 option nearly as attractive as Kelly or Marrone. We aren't the only ones who think highly of Marrone.

Also it's worth noting that our new Team President, soon-to-be GM and Head Coach are all very highly thought of by people around the league.

That's probably why many coaches and GMs got fired this year, because their evaluation of our front office reflects their judgment. Bill Walsh thought very highly of Trent Edwards, Bill Cowher thought very highly of Chan Gailey... reputation means NOTHING if the team fails to produce!!!!!

he was allegedly Philly's #2 choice as well....this could be a brilliant move

More than once source says Marrone was Cleveland's 2nd choice and with us hiring Marrone, they are now in "Kelly or bust mode." Apparently, they don't consider their #3 option nearly as attractive as Kelly or Marrone. We aren't the only ones who think highly of Marrone.

Our Fearless Leader strikes again!

Couldn't agree more. Plus, in order for a HC to be successful in the NFL, he has to have a good staff, he has to hire good coordinators, he has to have a front office feed him players that can play in his system or philosophy, he has to have a QB, and he has to have a lot of luck.

Exactly. Lets wait and see before jumping off cliffs. Like I said earlier in this thread, I haven't made up my mind yet and won't till I see what coordinators he gets. But ultimately I'm a Bills fan, so no matter who they hired, I'll get behind them.

Honestly, just for fun, what do you think the record of Chip Kelly would have been had he taken over the Syracuse HC job the exact same way that Marrone did, keeping in mind that he wouldn't have hardly any of his own guys in year 1 after being hired on December 11, only true freshmen in year two, and the first year he would have had mostly his own guys was last year.

Personally, if he were able to get that team to 30-20 in four years would be very, very hard to believe, and he probably would be pretty close to 25-25. Sure, it's impossible to know to if you had to guess, what would you say and why? And remember, Kelly was OC for a couple years at Oregon before taking over, and they were a top 10 NCAA team before he got there as HC.

Thanks for the information...guess we will have to wait and see if an agreement gets signed or not...and if an "agreement in principal" was Sully's editorializing or Brandon speaking.

Also, "dynamic" might mean that Brandon thinks Marrone is a dynamic person/coach or that signing him to a deal is (like the deal is up in the air).

This isn't a question. He's the Bills head coach. I'm not sure how to make this more clear to you until they have the press conference.

Apparently, they don't consider their #3 option nearly as attractive as Kelly or Marrone. We aren't the only ones who think highly of Marrone.

Congratulations, the Cleveland Browns, McNabb-less Philadephia Eagles and Turner-retaining Chargers think highly of Marrone. Boy, those are GREAT examples of franchises who we should emulate... *BARF*

Congratulations, the Cleveland Browns, McNabb-less Philadephia Eagles and Turner-retaining Chargers think highly of Marrone. Boy, those are GREAT examples of franchises who we should emulate... *BARF*

So you're saying because Baltimore, the Patriots, Steelers, Green Bay aren't interested in hiring him as HC that he's a bad choice? Only teams looking for a HC...interview head coaching candidates.

I don't know who this SDS guy is, but he nailed it!

(By the way, good job on WBEN this morning Scott!)

Who are you? Scott rarely posts it seems, and he's been very active. And you, hell had no idea what happened to you as of late. How you been?

Scatt nailed it somewhat. The one thing I will say, is that we will be running a lot under Marrone. We should be like the Vikes, Skins and Seabags. Everyone talks about their QB's but really they just managed the games and were athletes. All three had young QB's (1st or 2nd year) and great running games with a solid Oline. If we ran 50% of the time or more like them we can limit the impact of a young or mediocre QB play. I suspect the way the Cuse offense was run we will be of a similar mindset. Marrone will pass when he needs to and he will use the running game primarily. In the Cuses two major wins this year, against Louisville and West Va. He ran 52 and 65 times. I don't think he's an all one way or another coach.

I am curious who is coordinators will be. He'll need a good DC who can actually do something with the talent we have on defense along with a couple of young LBers. Offensively, he'll have to help groom a QB. He'll also have to work with a mediocre WR corps,

wow, so it seems Nike CEO, Phil Knight may be making a polay to keep Kelly in Oregon...interesting

he was allegedly Philly's #2 choice as well....this could be a brilliant move

Given the amount of time that the Browns and Eagles were reportedly devoting to Kelly without an actual deal in place, I wonder if Brandon et al didn't see through what may in actuality be a large Kelly ego trip and strike quickly before Marrone was back in play for the other two teams.

Yeah two of those teams are usually in the playoffs every year and been to several super bowls. Who wants to emulate that.