Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

I am trying to change my mind and get behind this hire but the more I research the less I like: 25-25 at syracuse look at how many wins are aginst schools with winning records....was oc at n.o. but didn't do the game plans or call plays...brandon's buddy. Lookong at next years schedule and the fact that why would free agents want to come to buffalo to play for a guy who is a mystery at best... we are looking at 2-14 next year at best. Terrible day to be a bills fan

He is Brandon's buddy?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of touch. They have a deal in 'principle' which means the lawyers are checking the language and then it will be signed.

That's what it appears--- it's embarrassing for Sal to be asking publicly if Marrone is "in play" with Cleveland at this hour.

Sully claims to have received a text from Brandon, this morning:

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully

Russ Brandon confirms by text that the Bills have agreed in principle to hire Doug Marrone as new head coach. Brandon called him "dynamic".

Edited by Punch

How in the hell do people believe this was a marketing hire? The 'marketing' hire would have been chip kelly.

Bills fans, every decisions you don't agree with is not a marketing move.

There was no way Kelly ever considered the Bills, more than a courtesy interview. In fact that probably went both ways. kelly hjas made it clear the opportunity had to be right. Ask Tampa Bay about it last year when they low balled him and he left and flew back to oregon. Personally, it would be great if he stays there. He's not exactly being paid chump change there either. And although he hasn't won it all he's come close twice in 4 years. he's got unfinished business at the college level. I wonder how much the pats* pay him for his advice?

That's what it appears--- Sully claims to have received a text from Brandon, this morning:

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully

Russ Brandon confirms by text that the Bills have agreed in principle to hire Doug Marrone as new head coach. Brandon called him "dynamic".

Don't feel like finding the post up-thread but didn't Wawrow confirm the same thing a few pages ago?

Yes, and if and when Nix is no longer our GM as of Game 1 of next season (my prediction) we will look like even more of a current, forward-looking, professional organization.

I believe Nix doesn't fit the "new world order" announced by Brandon. But if he is only temporarily being retained to contribute to the Draft, no big deal.

Let's just hope Nix's "contribution" does not include the evaluation of whichever QB(s) we select.

There is a difference between a deal being signed and someone saying they would like to coach the Bills. If Brandon was worth his salt as president, he would have corrected the story about Marrone being the next Bills coach earlier than he did today, but as a PR guy, he let the story take some legs and now the so called "league sources" and reporters are left hanging in the wind with egg on their faces as Marrone is out fielding other offers.

So he's not out fielding other offers. He's agreed to a deal in 'principle' with the Bills. It's almost never heard of that a guy renegs at that point.

Russ Brandon did correct it.

So you're totally wrong on your post. Perhaps you should pay more attention.

That's what it appears--- it's embarrassing for Sal to be asking publicly if Marrone is "in play" with Cleveland at this hour.

Sully claims to have received a text from Brandon, this morning:

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully

It sounds like Marrone is NOT signed as of right now, but that is just a formality.

Similar to the NHL situation actually. The important bit is that Marrone is coming to Buffalo and is no longer a coaching candidate for other teams.

So he's not out fielding other offers. He's agreed to a deal in 'principle' with the Bills. It's almost never heard of that a guy renegs at that point.

Russ Brandon did correct it.

For most of the morning, the story was how Marrone was the new coach, now it is a different story:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20130106/SPORTS03/130106006/Russ-Brandon-Doug-Marrone-not-our-coach-yet

I have only one word to say regarding today's announcement...

OOPIE FREAKIN' DOOPIE!!!!

I am thrilled beyond words that we landed Marrone. It shows some real chutzpah on Brandon's part - he had to know Marrone wasn't the consensus fan-favorite candidate, yet he eschewed the popular choices and went with whom he (and presumably Whaley) felt was the best candidate to lead the Bills back to respectability, success, and the Superbowl.

Also couldn't be more pleased to see the continuation of the "youth-movement" at OBD - replacing the aging, southern, good ol' boy, front-office & sideline leadership with some solid Central NY (Brandon) & Western PA (Whaley) management, and a Bronx-native head coach with CNY (Syracuse alum/player/head coach) ties.

This is all, IMHO, great news for the fans, the team, and the long-term future of this Buffalo NY franchise...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

For most of the morning, the story was how Marrone was the new coach, now it is a different story:

http://www.democrata...t-our-coach-yet

That story was very early this morning and since then Russ has confirmed that they have a deal in principle. Time stamped from this morning in the article itself.

Edited by jeremy2020

I have only one word to say regarding today's announcement...

OOPIE FREAKIN' DOOPIE!!!!

I am thrilled beyond words that we landed Marrone. It shows some real chutzpah on Brandon's part - he had to know Marrone wasn't the consensus fan-favorite candidate, yet he eschewed the popular choices and went with whom he (and presumably Whaley) felt was the best candidate to lead the Bills back to respectability, success, and the Superbowl.

Also couldn't be more pleased to see the continuation of the "youth-movement" at OBD - replacing the aging, southern, good ol' boy, front-office & sideline leadership with some solid Central NY (Brandon) & Western PA (Whaley) management, and a Bronx-native head coach with CNY (Syracuse alum/player/head coach) ties.

This is all, IMHO, great news for the fans, the team, and the long-term future of this Buffalo NY franchise...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

:thumbsup: Was waiting all morning for this one...

I was in the Lovie camp. Hiring Lovie would have been like hiring Chuck Knox. Hiring Knox really settled down the coaching department after all the previous HC the Bills just had. You didn't go into the season or any particular game thinking you were unprepared.

What I don't get about Marrone is he was 1-3 to start the season and most of the SU football fans I would have been happy to get rid of Marrone. He goes on a win streak and all of a sudden he is a hot commodity for a pro job. I feel like we just hired the Rob Johnson of coaches.

And to those that say he turned the football program around at SU, he did. He turned it from what was really a dead program to a mediocre one in a weak football conference.

All negativity aside, I can only wish him the best of luck.

See (lil) Donte Whitnner of the SF Niners. For a example on how wrong you are. In fact it was with Da Browns i believe.

Coaches, CEO's Safety's, top Engineers, Wall street brokers, actually anyone that's the flavor of the moment always use leverage as part of the process. It's the American way.