Realistic Supporting Staff

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many good coordinators out there but would they be willing to work with a recently promoted college coach that doesn't have a winning record in college let alone the pro's? Who was the last winning NFL HC that came from the college ranks with out a winning record?

I don't think any former head coach would take a job with an unproven HC commodity unless the money is really large, at least until he has been unemployed for a year.

Edited by VADC Bills

Anyone have ideas or names tossed around about guys Marrone will look to, try to or might think about bringing in?

I'd personally like to see him try and hook Lovie...yes, a stretch but worth a pull!

Any realistic Ideas?

why is it always realistic like somehow we have to settle for scrubs bc we are Buffalo? We got Marone over teams that wanted him we can do the same with the staff.

Guys, seriously? Lovie Smith has been an NFL head coach for 9 seasons, with a total record of 84-66 (3-3 playoffs), with 3 playoff appearances, 1 Super Bowl appearance (with Rex Grossman at QB, no less), and went 10-6 this past year. He's going to accept a D-coordinator job? And even if he would, do you really think he'd take that job with the Bills? He flew out to Arizona so the Bills could interview him. By all accounts, he really wanted the Bills job, possibly the most out of any of the 6 non-Bears coaching vacancies. He's clearly the #2 most qualified and accomplished candidate on the market behind Andy Reid, and clearly #1 out of candidates the Bills interviewed. But they spurned him and went with a relatively unknown/untested college coach whose resume is questionable*. That's their prerogative, and let's hope it works out. But if you were Lovie, with his resume, and you threw yourself at a crap team like the Bills only to be beat out by a less-qualified candidate, would you accept a career stepdown to work for that less-qualified candidate? I say hell no. I think at the end of the day, he gets a HC job, but if he doesn't, I think it's more likely he takes a year off than steps down to DC.

*Homers, relax. Questionable does not mean bad. It means there's legit questions. I liked the job he did at SU, but the bottom line is that his best season (twice) was 8-5 and a Pinstripe Bowl win. There's nothing there that says he's a lock for NFL success. Remember, SU was a very disappointing 5-7 in 2011, and Marrone was pretty much on the hot seat after the weak start this year.

Also Cash, people continue to largely ignore the question of why Lovie would take an assistants job when he could sit at home and collect his full Bears salary.

I understand some people think it would be better for his career to work as an assistant but I really don't believe that at all.

Also Cash, people continue to largely ignore the question of why Lovie would take an assistants job when he could sit at home and collect his full Bears salary.

I understand some people think it would be better for his career to work as an assistant but I really don't believe that at all.

Only difference is the perception/reality of passing on openings vs not getting opportunities

If he's not getting offers at the end of this he may want to spruce up that resume. If he's getting offers he may feel better saying lets hold off a year and see what's open.

Good point, I didn't even think about the money. Taking a demotion would earn him the same money as not working at all, assuming his Bears contract had offsets in it. If I'm Lovie (or his agent), I tell people that a Super Bowl (losing) coach with over 80 career wins is a head coach and head coach only.

As for whom I'd want, a lot of people have tossed around Marrone's Cuse coordinators, but count me out. Again, I did like the job Marrone did at SU, but bringing along both his coordinators is kind of ridiculous. This is the big leagues; lets try to act like it. Besides, I'm very sick of having the new HC's staff be primarily nobodies from the college ranks who are billed as "teachers". I know both Gailey and Jauron raved about how their crews of chumps were such great teachers, and I think at least one of Greggggo and Meathead did as well. "Teachers" is code for "no NFL experience at this job." Marrone has 4 years of HC experience -- none in the NFL -- and 3 years of NFL O-coordinator experience, but somewhat analogous to Curtis Modkins' position the last 3 years. I think his success his much more likely if he can surround himself with guys with some NFL experience and particularly NFL success. I'm afraid I don't know many coordinators or position coaches around the league, so I don't have any specific names in mind, but that's the profile I'm looking for. Out of the 6 other fired coaches, there's probably a couple decent coordinators. I'd be more encouraged to see our coordinators be making lateral moves than getting promoted. I.e., our OC should ideally be a fired HC or OC, and likewise with our DC.

Of course, the all-time terrible promotion was hiring a fired Offensive Coordinator, who then spent a year out of football, to be your Head Coach. We said it was a terrible hire at the time, and we were proven right. This hire is a lot more defensible; let's hope it goes well. Go Bills!

As for whom I'd want, a lot of people have tossed around Marrone's Cuse coordinators, but count me out. Again, I did like the job Marrone did at SU, but bringing along both his coordinators is kind of ridiculous. This is the big leagues; lets try to act like it. Besides, I'm very sick of having the new HC's staff be primarily nobodies from the college ranks who are billed as "teachers". I know both Gailey and Jauron raved about how their crews of chumps were such great teachers, and I think at least one of Greggggo and Meathead did as well. "Teachers" is code for "no NFL experience at this job."

I could not agree more.

"Teachers" is code for no NFL experience.

Marrone does have a few guys on his Syracuse staff with NFL experience though, and some who also played in the NFL (Wheatley, Moore).

Only difference is the perception/reality of passing on openings vs not getting opportunities

If he's not getting offers at the end of this he may want to spruce up that resume. If he's getting offers he may feel better saying lets hold off a year and see what's open.

Going back to a DC is not my idea of sprucing up the resume. It's about throwing yourself down a flushing toilet. That would be a disaster for a fully and highly qualified HC to take an assistants job IMO

I could not agree more.

"Teachers" is code for no NFL experience.

Marrone does have a few guys on his Syracuse staff with NFL experience though, and some who also played in the NFL (Wheatley, Moore).

Yeah, I'd have no problem with Marrone bringing a couple of his Cuse staffers along with him, especially at the position coach level. I'm sure I could live with exactly 1 of his coordinators if it came down to it, but I'd really much prefer coordinators with NFL experience. Apparently one of the reasons Marrone was wiling/looking to leave his "dream job" (his words) was because SU wasn't able to pay his assistants enough, so I'm hoping Marrone agrees with me.

In addition, SU's special teams were awful all 4 years under Marrone, and he kept switching up the coaching responsibilities for special teams. I don't think he ever actually had a dedicated special teams coach, but if he did, that guy didn't last long. I think Marrone coached special teams himself a couple of years, and had one of the position coaches do it the other years. I think it was the TE coach doubling as special teams coach this past year? Not sure. Anyway, I'm kind of hoping that this was one of the "SU cheaps out their coaching assistants" things, and that Marrone is capable of hiring a real special teams coach and devoting enough practice time to making it work. I can live without the elite special teams we enjoyed under April, but SU's were terrible. Think about how bad our kick/punt coverage was this year, but imagine that our return game was even worse. That was SU's special teams the last 4 years.

Going back to a DC is not my idea of sprucing up the resume. It's about throwing yourself down a flushing toilet. That would be a disaster for a fully and highly qualified HC to take an assistants job IMO

Unless, of course, the offers for head coach don't materialize.

Then turning a struggling defense around quick is a nice way to get your name bumped back up next year.

(I don't expect it, but discussing anyway)

Edited by NoSaint

I mean there are enough examples of it: off the top of my head i can think of Bellichick, Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron,

There are also lots of ex nfl HC working as coordinatorsvor assistants so its not improbable. Also i don't buy the narrative that just cause Lovie was spurned as a HC he wouldnt want to be a coordinator for them. Thats whats is so great about narratives you can create a story without facts. I can just as easily say lovie wanted to be HC for the bills because he saw a D-line that he felt would fit his scheme and was playing below their potential. If he has to accept a coordinator because thete are no hc opportunties it would be natural to gravitate to the opening that he thinks has the pieces in place for a turn around.

No saying that Lovie as DC will happen, just saying that its no impossible

Edited by JuanGuzman

Bring back Dehaven at ST , Kevin Green as D coordinator , Frank Reich said something to the effect of wanting to be a coach here so his last deal was WR coach, then David Lee for QB's coach, Metzellars for TE's, Singletary for LB coach ..

From there it is up to you all I can't think of any other coaching positions or there George Castovalos was a pretty good DB coach wasn't he ?

Bring back Dehaven at ST , Kevin Green as D coordinator , Frank Reich said something to the effect of wanting to be a coach here so his last deal was WR coach, then David Lee for QB's coach, Metzellars for TE's, Singletary for LB coach ..

From there it is up to you all I can't think of any other coaching positions or there George Castovalos was a pretty good DB coach wasn't he ?

Why? DeHaven was pretty pedestrian in his 2nd stint with the Bills. Kevin Greene will want to run a 3-4 scheme. What makes Frank reich a good coach ? Just because he wants to be back with the Bills. The only comment from Frank was that if Wisenhunt became the HC, then there was apossibility of a coaching position for him (Frank) with the Bills. Maronne should be given full control to identify his coaching staff. I hope he does a good job of assembling a good one. It can be the difference between a 6-10 and 10-6 easily on this team.

Since Marrone is an offensive coach I trust he will (and has the contacts to) hire the best guy to run HIS offense, so my thoughts

(like many others) are on who will be the DC.

In many posts today, there was much talk about Lovie Smith as both a head coach or DC. But as Others have pointed

out, he ran the Tampa 2 Defense.

We have switched defensive styles twice recently when we didn't have the personnel for it. So, if the Bills and Marrone

are smart and want a quicker turnaround, they'll look at the roster (the players they want to keep at least) and say what

is the best system to fit the players we have. Then go get the best DC they can to run that system.

It would seem with our D-line and the need for LBs (having to get 3 rather than 4), we would stick with a 4-3 defense.

So, does that preclude Lovie or other Tampa 2 or 3-4 alignment coaches from the DC position? If so, who are the top 4-3

DC candidates out there? Or 4-3 coordinators who have ties with Marrone?

Edited by folz

I'm a Shafer fan, but also a Stanford homer. I would be elated if we hired him.

Shafer sounds like what we need;

No to Greg Williams and DeHaven. The game has gone past DeHaven. He is a average to poor ST coach. I hope the Bills can get Bobby April back after he was purged in Phildaelphia. Gregg Williams should never coach in the NFL for what he attempted to do with the players.

best in the biz :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

His first stint as OC here was enough for me.

He was given the duties, because Tom Clements was too much of a tard to game plan, so He got it on default. AVP, is due. Plus, He was pretty good when he filled in, and did a good job in Tampa. Why wouldn't you want him? Ironically Clements has been mentioned as a HC candidate. LOL. Just refer all judgement to his coaching career in Buffalo.