Bills coach search update

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I think about all of these different HC candidates I can't help but think of who is pulling the strings now. Brandon is a marketing guy and nothing would make more sense marketing-wise than hiring Marrone to market to Syracuse even thought others will be involved in the interviews. I know there isn't exactly the same correlation as if a high sought after player was drafted from 'Cuse but I just get that feeling.....

I hope I'm wrong.

The more I think about all of these different HC candidates I can't help but think of who is pulling the strings now. Brandon is a marketing guy and nothing would make more sense marketing-wise than hiring Marrone to market to Syracuse even thought others will be involved in the interviews. I know there isn't exactly the same correlation as if a high sought after player was drafted from 'Cuse but I just get that feeling.....

I hope I'm wrong.

Cleveland must be trying to corner the Syracuse Market too then, as is Philly

I hope I'm wrong.

Crazy theory. How will the Syracuse market react if Marrone crashes and burns? That "marketing strategy" pales in comparison to winning. I believe they're trying to make the right decision in order to win, whether that happens to be Marrone or not.

Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports is reporting that Oregon head coach Chip Kelly has narrowed his NFL wish list down to two teams - the Eagles and Browns.

Earlier reports suggested Kelly was also garnering interest from the Bills, but it appears that interest is not mutual. According to LaCanfora, there still remains the possibility that Kelly remains at Oregon, where he has compiled a 45-7 record in four years as head coach. If the Eagles meet with Kelly, it will likely be after Thursday night’s Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix, where Kelly’s Ducks will play Kansas State.

From what source is this quoted from? It sounds like an extrapolation of LaCanfora's earlier tweet.

Why would he take the interview if he ahd no intention of even considering the job? He doesn't need the leverage with Philly and Cleveland ready to go to war for him not to mention Oregon will always be lurking with a possible offer to woo him to stay. He must be open to the job at some level at least.

Why would he take the interview if he ahd no intention of even considering the job? He doesn't need the leverage with Philly and Cleveland ready to go to war for him not to mention Oregon will always be lurking with a possible offer to woo him to stay. He must be open to the job at some level at least.

Or maybe his Mother raised him right and he is polite.

But we will see when we see.

With this last year being off a 10-6 record

After starting 7-1 against inferior opponents. That is Billsesque.

And an NFC Championship game the year before.

That was 2 years ago.

Lovie is a good coach and his players love his soft training camps. There is no doubt the defense would improve IMO but as good has he's been coaching defense he has been incompetent when hiring OCs. In this current NFL atmosphere defense is secondary to offense and he's never adjusted. Again, good guy, but I don't like him as the Bills HC. I'd rather look for an offensive mind with the potential of hiring a good DC rather than a defensive mind who was never been able to find a good OC. JMO.

I agree, and suppose that's why I ask. It sounds like the kind of rewritten report a lot of blogs or rotoworld use to expand on tweets and one line inferences made by guys like LaCanfora and Schefter.

Not to knock it, I was just curious about the credibility of the author.

I don't want anyone to take offense to this.. but just because Kelly is a great college coach doesn't equate him to Saban just because he's a great college coach (go irish!), in my opinion its a bit of a lazy comparison. Its like comparing RG3 to Vick just because of obvious features.

How does Chip Kelly remind you of Saban in any way other than they coach winning programs? I'm actually curious, not trying to hurt your point/argument.

Yeah it's a bad comparison.

At least Nick Saban spent 6 years as an NFL assistant before he got an NFL head coaching job.

Again, Kelly has never stood on an NFL sideline. He has never been in an NFL locker room.

Crazy theory. How will the Syracuse market react if Marrone crashes and burns? That "marketing strategy" pales in comparison to winning. I believe they're trying to make the right decision in order to win, whether that happens to be Marrone or not.

I agree it is a crazy theory but as you say marketing strategy pales in comparison to winning (to a point). I'm sure everyone had the same fantasies in their heads when we signed T.O., Merriman (not as much), Williams.

It was a commitment to winning but I feel it was more about getting "that guy I've heard of" and putting butts in the seats after being as bad as they have been for so long.

I'm hopeful they pick the person they feel will do the best with what we have on this team and what we get through the draft/FA. Just throwing my own conspiracy theory out there cuz I got that good stuff from NewEra after 3rdAnd12 passed it to him.

I agree it is a crazy theory but as you say marketing strategy pales in comparison to winning (to a point).

Apparently I was not clear because you completely misunderstood what I was saying. I said THAT marketing strategy (referring to your theory of going for Marrone to garner the massive and untapped Syracuse market) pales (in other words, is far subordinate to) trying to win.

Brandon has been successful at making chicken salad out of chicken sh** in the past, but he also knows that with his ascendency he's now responsible for winning, and ultimately he knows that winning is the best possible marketing strategy. Bottom line, there is no part of your theory I agree with.

Yeah it's a bad comparison.

At least Nick Saban spent 6 years as an NFL assistant before he got an NFL head coaching job.

Again, Kelly has never stood on an NFL sideline. He has never been in an NFL locker room.

But has he ever seen a grown man naked?