Ray Horton for HC

buffalo1983

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Burns of KTAR in Radio in Arizona opines on Whisenhunt and Horton:

http://audio.wgr550....rds-coaches.htm

Good stuff. Funny to me, however, though that the last Phoenix media member I heard talk about Whisenhunt, which IIRC was Kent Somers who is their beat writer, said the exact opposite of Whisenhunt -- that there were power struggles in the Phoenix front office and that Whisenhunt didn't like a few of the guys that were brought in and forced on him. This guy says that Whiz had the most power and he thinks chose a lot of the players, especially the QBs and you would want him having power in personnel decisions.

It's probably somewhere in between, that he was responsible for a few of the bad choices and not responsible for a few of the others, but it seemed these guys said two different things. They both said he was a very smart guy and very good coach though.

Horton impresses me more I think, the more I see about him.

Wow, Horton gave a great interview today after meeting with the Cardinals:

http://www.azcentral...zona-cardinals/

My favorite points:

Q. Do you worry about being pigeon-holed as a defensive coach?

A. “I don’t. I think I’m a coach of men. I talk about a plan to build a team. I don’t talk about ‘hey, I can build this offense or this defense and good luck with the rest of the team.’ Whether you’re an offensive coach, you’ve got to have a defensive guy who can do something on that side. It all blends together. I think that’s a zero issue.”

Q. When they ask you about staff structure, do you say I’m still going to run the defense?

A. “Nope. I delegate. I think a guy that controls everything, controls nothing. I would be there to assist and help if needed. But I trust the coaches I hire to be experts at their positions. Now am I going to get 11, 15, 22 experts who are going to be experts at every position? Probably not. But the two coordinators are going to be experts. Really, in my power structure, that’s how it works. Your head coach and two coordinators have to be expert at their position. It’s a trickle-down effect of getting this guy to do this and hey, coach this this way and do that. There’s a hierarchy of critical positions. The quality control is not the most critical position on the staff.”

----------------

Horton just moved up a notch on my list.

I agree! He has got a lot of confidence and direction which is something this team sorely needs!! I am liking him more and more.

This is the guy I want.

A leader of men, who encourages physical play, and is willing to let coordinators do their jobs.

Really reminds me of Tomlin, only with a bit more experience.

I also love the attitude of "I'm going to knock their socks off in this interview"

Thanks for your enlightened contribution. :doh:

the one thing ill say, is its well developed if its a straight troll. hes posted before about working with the father of the Arizona QB coach. its obscure enough that it could be true that he has that connection, and that his friend is just messing with him still.

that or he got lucky to pick that oddball connection of all the ones to lie about the last couple years and is reaping the rewards with his hard earned troll post now.

i think its safe to assume its not a true story though!

Edited by NoSaint

the one thing ill say, is its well developed if its a straight troll. hes posted before about working with the father of the Arizona QB coach. its obscure enough that it could be true that he has that connection, and that his friend is just messing with him still.

that or he got lucky to pick that oddball connection of all the ones to lie about the last couple years and is reaping the rewards with his hard earned troll post now.

i think its safe to assume its not true though!

Agreed. Sounded off the wall and rather juvenile.

so we cant hire up and coming coordinators cause theyve failed

no superbowl winners because they havent won with a 2nd teams

no one good at interviews, because we had one of those

no college guys, i mean, petrino failed after all

no non-super bowl winning nfl head coaches, because they failed

who do you propose?

hahaha. Well said.! :thumbsup: I'll be upset if it's not Gruden, which it won't be, but I know my ability to armchair pick a HC is zero. Who would have guessed Harbaugh or Tomlin would have the success they had. A ST coach (Harbaugh) and Secondary Coach (Tomlin). I just want someone who is prepared, and shows some emotion on the sideline, but most of all, WINS!!

Horton is the next Marv type coach. He will be a true leader and delegate authority.

And sounds like he'd still be involved with the D to some extent....like, "hey, we need to Blitz more" but leave the "how" up to the D coordinator. I want to know who is on his alleged offensive staff, and who he is thinking of for DC.

after reading Hortons comments and grasp for power structure he sounds very bright.

Arizona's D has been very good.

The NFL today is about guys who can relate to their team. Not age necessarily. Your demeanor has to match that of your team.

i remember when Coughlin got to NY he changed the entire culture. Cut guys who did not buy into what he was selling. Now you have to start having success- wins, or the guys will tune you out again.

Horton does sound organized and ready to lead. If he gets the job in Buffalo or not he will be a HC i bet in the next few years.

Well...with Andy Reid going to Kansas City all but confirmed, I bet we will see Horton stay back and become Arizona's new HC.

DANGNABBIT. I really wanted this guy out of every candidate.

Ah, we'll see. If the Bills like him enough, remember, there are "no restrictions" according to Brandon. Maybe Horton wants to help build and mold his own program with all new pieces. Then again, Arizona is a nice place to live.