Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

Bellichick picked his brain a few times and incorporated a few of Kelly's ideas into his own offense, with tremendous results.

Gruden went to Oregon and almost took a job on the team so he could learn Kelly's offense.

Before last season, Erik Spoelstra, coach of the Miami Heat, went to Kelly's practices to learn what he could about improving his fast break from Kelly's hurry up, and attributed what he learned from kelly to part of the Heat's successful Championship run.

http://espn.go.com/n...stra-miami-heat

That strongly suggests to me like Kelly is more of an innovator and possible revolutionary than gimmick. Does it guarantee success in the NFL? Of course not. But some very successful coaches and minds are coming to him to learn stuff, and then put it into their own styles. That should tell you something.

The fact that Belichick has picked his brain a bit has me a bit makes me hesitant as well about Chip. If it were any other team that the Bills didn't play 2 times a year it would be fine. But that means Belichick is studying Chip and figuring him and his style out. Is that really the best situation to bring Chip into? Would Chip want to even come here and face Belichik knowing he's talked to him?

Idk if I'm over thinking it a bit...

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the whole magilla in four nice tutorials if anyone's interested. They include some video.

The thing with Kelly is, he is under contract and has a $3m buyout. The Bills are also paying Chan for 2013. That, and he's going to command a very large salary - which by itself is going to be more than The Bills have ever paid to a HC. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it'll be Mario-signing-impressive if they do. If so, I hope it doesn't hamper their getting a high quality staff assembled as well. It's expensive to win in the NFL.

This is some impressive info...does it bother anyone else that he so freely talks about all of this? In a copy-cat league he sure would be making it easy!

Not to mention the fact that he's talked to Bill Bellichick about it. Which to me, means it's less likely he comes to Buffalo. It surely can't be a good thing when Ole' Bill has already looked and semi-run the offense your bringing into the league. Especially when the Bills play the Pats* 2x a year.

Chip Kelly is a guy that I would like the Bills to have as an OC for obvious reasons. As a HC at this level and with the CBA's practice rules I think that the chips are stacked against him somewhat. In terms of play design he is not reinventing the wheel, he is just trying to spin that wheel as fast as he can. I think that the real question is, can he implement his practice philosophy at the NFL level which is really the pillar of his success in college?

one reason I am high on Chip Kelly - dont know if I really do think hes the best choice for us - is because he is widely viewed as being the BEST "practice coach", in that he gets the most out of his players each and every practice...its all minute to minute scripted and as the above article talks about, very rep intensive and go-go-go type atmosphere....even if Kelly adapts his offense (which he will have to, and he will) for the NFL - he can still bring with him this uptempo, most bang for your buck practice....something ANY NFL team can benefit from

I guess what it comes down to for me (and hopefully for our franchise if we want to hire him) is: how will you adapt to the NFL, who are your proven coordinators, especially on defense, and can your attitude jive with NFL players as opposed to just college players....if he has acceptable answers for all that, im more than down with Chip Kelly being red, white and blue

Not a pro for Kelly but.... Spurrier? I think. Mike Riley? Lou holtz 1 year with the jets! Dennis Erickson.

Not totally unique on that matrix, but got a bad rep for a reason when it was popular a decade ago

Spurrier was an NFL QB. Albeit for the 0-14 Buc's - we can discuss whether or not that was really like being in the NFL! :rolleyes:

Hopefully if we hire him he will be able to make adjustments to this stuff week to week. From watching the Ducks a lot I do know that he seems to make really good half time adjustments. Ducks are slow starters but pour it on in the 2nd half.

This makes me want him to be my O/C, maybe - but how does he do any better than Chan if he's got nothing better at QB? His success is totally predicated on having a QB we don't have and may not find in the draft.

Show me how he ran a successful power-I or something when he was an assistant at Johns Hopkins or New Hampshire and I'd be more impressed.

"There's been a lot of speculation about the manner in which the offense Kelly uses at Oregon might translate into the NFL should he get a coaching job in Philadelphia or anywhere else, and Kelly addressed this in a news conference, per Les:

"Anything you do has to be personnel-driven," Kelly said, when asked a question about offensive adaptations flowing out of the college game into the NFL. "
You've gotta be able to adapt to the personnel that you have
. There's a lot of great offenses out there, but does it fit with the personnel you have? I think the key is being sure what you're doing is giving your players the chance to be successful."

http://espn.go.com/b...ting-an-offense

I've been against Kelly for a while now, but at least he makes sense with this. I've seen it too many times - you can't force an offensive system down a team's throat. You have to run a system that uses the current personnel's strengths and adapts to who is on the roster. This is how guys like Parcells, Bill Walsh, & Belichick won - they used the guys they have and built a system around them.

My concern about the Chip Kelly offense are described below. I'm not saying no to this system, but consider it before you buy in.

It is the 3 and out... When that offense fails to gain a first down, they only take 45 seconds (or less) off the game clock. Now look at our opponents next year, teams with quarterbacks like Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Tom Brady (2x). If the Chip Kelly offense is off the field the defense has to be on point and do it on short rest.

I remember watching a Bills game back in the K-gun days with Paul McGuire in the booth. The opponent's defense (I don't remember who it was, sorry) had our number. After multiple Bills 3 and outs, and a gassed defense they game quickly spiraled out of control.

This is the problem with a high-octane, no-huddle offense. The majority of games that the Bills lost in those days were because the offense couldn't stay on the field.

My concern about the Chip Kelly offense are described below. I'm not saying no to this system, but consider it before you buy in.

It is the 3 and out... When that offense fails to gain a first down, they only take 45 seconds (or less) off the game clock. Now look at our opponents next year, teams with quarterbacks like Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Tom Brady (2x). If the Chip Kelly offense is off the field the defense has to be on point and do it on short rest.

I remember watching a Bills game back in the K-gun days with Paul McGuire in the booth. The opponent's defense (I don't remember who it was, sorry) had our number. After multiple Bills 3 and outs, and a gassed defense they game quickly spiraled out of control.

Forget time of possession and focus on total offensive plays (your only wearing down while the play is going, not while the clock is running). It's still about converting/stopping third downs. Show me a slow moving offense that can survive on three and outs all day?

Chip Kelly would be a risk, but it is honestly a better coach than I was expecting them to interview. After the last coaching hire, I was really expecting a Russ Grimm type hire....there is no coach out there that looks like a home run, but if we get Kelly, mccoy, or lovie, i say that I am pleasently surprised. I am even more surprised lovie smith contacted us before we contacted him.... Which might mean something

... I am even more surprised lovie smith contacted us before we contacted him.... Which might mean something

Yeah - it means the Bills' opening is an attractive one. They really are not that many players away anymore. 1 QB, 2 LB's, maybe another WR and CB - at that point you'd be hard-pressed to come up with things to really improve. Their record is skewed by how important the LB and QB positions are - but they are still just a few roster spots to fill, and coaches know it.

I'd also combine that with the fact that there has been ZERO interest in Gailey or his staff. That tells me the rest of the league perceives that the problem in Buffalo was more about the coaching than the players.

Yeah - it means the Bills' opening is an attractive one. They really are not that many players away anymore. 1 QB, 2 LB's, maybe another WR and CB - at that point you'd be hard-pressed to come up with things to really improve. Their record is skewed by how important the LB and QB positions are - but they are still just a few roster spots to fill, and coaches know it.

I'd also combine that with the fact that there has been ZERO interest in Gailey or his staff. That tells me the rest of the league perceives that the problem in Buffalo was more about the coaching than the players.

Wannstredt's performance against the read option/pistol hybrid that seattle runs (and which miami exploited against the bills) suggests to me that the game has passed him by. The defense he ran looked silly and pathetic.

I will not be surprised, though, if gailey gets a job as an OC with a solid team. He's a smart offensive mind who simply lacked a top shelf qb.

Chip Kelly would be a risk, but it is honestly a better coach than I was expecting them to interview. After the last coaching hire, I was really expecting a Russ Grimm type hire....there is no coach out there that looks like a home run, but if we get Kelly, mccoy, or lovie, i say that I am pleasently surprised. I am even more surprised lovie smith contacted us before we contacted him.... Which might mean something

Lovie did the math and realized there are more candidates in play than HC jobs available so he'd better be aggressive if he wants one of those spots.