Buffalo Bills fire Head Coach Chan Gailey

scribo

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any reasonable search will satisfy any rule the NFL has.

I agree with you on that and am not even really recommending the scenario I posited. Just curious because I know, for example, that the Blue Jays had interviewed some serious candidates for their manager position by phone - at least for a first interview. If they are already interested enough in Gruden to have met with him while the current HC is employed, my question presents a plausible, if not probable scenario.

I know, I know, it's millions of dollars, it's the NFL, it's just business, but seeing him there without any Bills gear on, and listening to his words, I really feel for him. Good Luck to Chan.

C'mon, now. I think giving one in 100 chances that a guy sees the current Buffalo situation and is intrigued is not all that generous.

We've had failure, after failure at the position since Marv left. One could argue that Wade Phillips was ok, but other than that, who have we had?

Who, in their right mind, would come here vs going to a place like Chicago? Face it. We're going to pick up some mediocre OC or DC, place them in as HC. Finish between 4-12 and 7-9 for three years and hire a new HC for the 2016/7 season.

It's not really that hard of a concept is it? By saying this is the only job he's ever been fired from where he will probably root for the team is clearly implying that he had negative feelings about the other jobs he was fired from. A "classy" reaction is one that accepts the outcome and moves on, without having to go into previous situations and circumstances as explanations or for comparisons. He's out in Buffalo. It's over. Is his next employer really impressed that he liked working in Buffalo more than other jobs and could be a fan of the Buffalo Bills?

PS: FWIW, from the quote from the press conference, it was made clear that Gailey was very emotional and just speaking from the heart. So, while I don't think it was the most eloquent thing man has ever said, I fully appreciate that Chan was upset at trying to just say good-bye and wouldn't hold it against him.

His exits from Dallas and KC were both questionable decisions at best and I don't blame him for having some animosity.

FWIW, I'm sure he wasn't referring to G'Tech. :D

YAY

And the whole staff, YAY

WHOOO- HOOOOO

Chan see ya.....

Wanny see ya

I feel better about 2013 already.

I will go outside and make snow Angels if Fitz is cut today as well.

:worthy: wooo effing hooo, no more Dave Wannstooge :worthy:

Now, if the Bills hire another loser to fill the next three years :thumbdown:

Edited by FeartheLosing

Getting rid of Gailey was an absolute necessity. At some point you'd have to fire him since he is an incompetent head coach (and I'm not so sure he was a great coordinator either, after all the Chiefs dumped him just before the regular season started), so whatever year period the firing starts it is better to start it now rather than one or two years down the road. Nix also needs to go. His drafts have been mediocre at best and his handling of the QB position has been atrocious.

I'm sure Gailey is a nice guy, but you have to wonder what the heck he was thinking when he said he done a turn around at two other places. His work with the Cowboys was not generally considered a success (fired after two years), nor was his tenure at Georgia Tech (again, fired after a bunch of middling seasons. He wasn't successful as a head coach ever, and aside from a decent last half of the 2010 season and a good start to the 2011 season the Bills have looked terrible under Gailey. 7-19 in the last 26 games speaks volumes about what direction Gailey was taking the Bills.

Like I said, he may be a nice guy, but praise the Lord the clown is gone as the Bills' head coach.

He sure was a stinker. Now it's time to find another in a long list of bad coaches.

I am hopeful that if the right staff is hired and a QB is found this team will be good.

I really believe the team is a few players away and a good staff from being a very good team.

I do not feel the same way about this team now as i did after Jaurons firing. Chan just was to loyal to the wrong QB. No slap on Fitz, he just is not a starter. Chan has a history of trying to make QB's something they are not. He did it at Tech and did it in Buffalo. It is a shame because i think Chan is a good guy.

I'd say to Chan thanks for taking the job nobody else wanted and fixing a dysfunctional locker room.

There just wasn't enough talent under center and out wide to make your offense work, and not enough urgency to get a high priced revamped defense returning on investment.

Whatever success the team experiences in the near future will be built upon the foundation of your character and the values you bestowed on all of the young men on the roster.

Good luck, god speed and enjoy not having to face the press taking heat over lack of execution or spillers snaps.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

We've had failure, after failure at the position since Marv left. One could argue that Wade Phillips was ok, but other than that, who have we had?

Who, in their right mind, would come here vs going to a place like Chicago? Face it. We're going to pick up some mediocre OC or DC, place them in as HC. Finish between 4-12 and 7-9 for three years and hire a new HC for the 2016/7 season.

And once again, optimism reigns at TBD.

His exits from Dallas and KC were both questionable decisions at best and I don't blame him for having some animosity.

FWIW, I'm sure he wasn't referring to G'Tech. :D

He's a football coach. Getting fired goes with the territory and should be expected. I don't think he meant it that he hated his other positions, after all much of his staff came from Georgia Tech and Miami, etc. Although, it could be construed that he was taking a shot at Kansas City, Tech, Miami, Dallas, Denver, or whatever.

FWIW, I think he'll be employed again soon enough. And, he did wring blood out of a turnip on offense. ;)

This firing has me down. Not because it isn't due (because it most definitely IS due). It's just an exclamation point on another failed era in Bills history.

It's the unrealized expectations. I've been a fan of this team going on 30 years. This 13 year stretch makes the dark days of '84-'86 seem like a walk in the park. Really thought the team would finish with at least a winning record this year, and possibly be a 5th or 6th spot in the playoff picture.

Finished 6-10 in a weak division? (the Jets and Dolphins SHOULD HAVE = 4 WINS) With a last place schedule?? Come on!

And now it's probably going to be ANOTHER rebuilding process, with some of our best players at the end of their contracts and looking for greener pastures. This season should NOT have ended this way.

:mellow:

As has been mentioned, I wish Chan well because he seems like a good guy, but he just wasn't getting it done. He's not quite cut out for the HC role. He actually got a lot done on offense considering how terrible Fitzpatrick is (did he complete a pass beyond 15 yards all season?), but inconsistency and the misuse of Spiller are errors that reaaaally stuck out this season.

That's really dumb to post, considering he just hit Stevie for 37 yards under 24 hours ago

It's a little sad, but it certainly is due. Chan dealt with a lot of dysfunction when he came in, and I think the culture change helped some things but the man is just a god-awful play caller. I wish the best of luck for his sucessor.

And I wish an "allelujah, thank god and amen" to Ralph Wilson.

This firing has me down. Not because it isn't due (because it most definitely IS due). It's just an exclamation point on another failed era in Bills history.

It's the unrealized expectations. I've been a fan of this team going on 30 years. This 13 year stretch makes the dark days of '84-'86 seem like a walk in the park. Really thought the team would finish with at least a winning record this year, and possibly be a 5th or 6th spot in the playoff picture.

Finished 6-10 in a weak division? (the Jets and Dolphins SHOULD HAVE = 4 WINS) With a last place schedule?? Come on!

And now it's probably going to be ANOTHER rebuilding process, with some of our best players at the end of their contracts and looking for greener pastures. This season should NOT have ended this way.

:mellow:

ill agree with this a bit.

FWIW, IMO I think Byrd and Levitre are gone unless they are paid top 5 for thier positions.

NFN but Chan Gailey was one of the luckiest men on the face of this earth. To be given a job to do that he loves and get paid millions of dollars to do it. I don't feel bad for him, he got more chance then Pat Shurmur 2 years more chance. More Chance then Romeo Crennel and one more year then Ron Rivera

What stinks is, with his background in coaching (under Bill Cowher) you would think he would have a better handle on how to build a winning team and get his players to overachieve (like Jauron did) instead of underachieving.

Edited by FeartheLosing