Better team now than three years ago?

gjv001

Gailey has stated that this team is better than the team he inherited three years ago. Perhaps we do have a better OL and DL and a potential elite RB. But our record clearly shows we are not any closer to being a playoff contending team than we were when he and Nix arrived. If anything our record has shown we have regressed. Do you think Gailey is correct in his evaluation or is he delusional?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy frustrates me. I took a lot of logic and philosophy classes in college.

IF we are better, and we have the same or worse record, THEN (to me) by definition it is the coaching that is the problem.

IF we are not better talent wise, THEN by definition it is the GM that is the problem.

Which is it Buddy???? Let's have some accountability!!

Your killing me! :wallbash:

(OK, I feel a little better now).

As far as talent on the team goes, the Bills are better, and there are some players that have potential to be great.

As far as coaching, we are unfortunately the same, which as you know is not good.

I like what Nix has done as far as drafting & free agency goes, but Nix believed in Gailey & Fitzpatrick and that has not worked.

I am willing to give Nix another chance, but I would have more confidence in him if he fired Gailey.

Better at RB (spiller is a tad better than Lynch but the wasting of a top 10 pick for him really hurts)

Better at O-line (agree. Our current group is better)

Better at D-line (Not really. Schobel, Stroud, Kyle Williams, Kelsay are roughly equal to Mario, Marcel, Kyle and Kyle. Slight edge to current DL_

Better at CB (Marginal improvement. McGee and Florence were as good as Gilmore and Williams are right now. Current lineup wins on potential)

Better at TE - TIE. We still don't have a weapon at TE that we use enough, Chandler is serviceable but we have noone else.

Same at QB (Fitz vs Trent) - They both suck

Same at LB We still suck at LB

Same at Safety Our safeties are better only because I hate Whitner and am glad he's gone. I'd rather play with 10 on defense than have to watch/listen to him ever again.

Same at K/P

Same at ST

Slightly worse at WR

PTR

Off the top of my head, I agreed with your assessment but then I went back and looked at the 2009 starters and our current roster is equal or worse. Overall it is really depressing how we have little to no improvement in the overall quality of the roster after 3 terrible seasons on the field, drafting in the top 10 for 3 years and spending close to $150m in Free agency. If I were Ralph, I would be very pissed off right now.

Actually, I am tired of trying three years and out, lots of confusion with a new system. Of course, the 3/4 4/3 switches have rendered the D useless for much of the last three years. The last few games are the only time in that period where I have seen a real NFL defense! And, the O is definitely better than any of the Jauron years, they were in the bottom 4 or 5 in those years. I think if the D had been better, Gailey would have had a better record than the Jauron years. I think they finally have it right (almost), it still can get better with better personnel, esp at LB. None the less, at this point, the O and the D are better than the Jauron years. No desire to go back there. And, yes, the personnel are better, and I agree, the strength of the O is the Oline and rb. QB and WR could be better, but are not total diasters. And, I think Fitz is better than Losman or Edwards ever were on their best days.

Off the top of my head, I agreed with your assessment but then I went back and looked at the 2009 starters and our current roster is equal or worse. Overall it is really depressing how we have little to no improvement in the overall quality of the roster after 3 terrible seasons on the field, drafting in the top 10 for 3 years and spending close to $150m in Free agency. If I were Ralph, I would be very pissed off right now.

Then it's the coaching. As for "wasting" a #9 pick on Spiller, getting a game-changer is never a waste.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

you gotta be kidding me. talent wise its night and day better. easiest question ever

problem is this is a fringe playoff roster and yet it looks highly likely chan wont get them close

im still willing to give him another cycle to see if he can take the next step but if they dont produce a miracle 8-8 wildcard spot he should be on a short leash next year

The talent on the roster from top to bottom is most certainly better. Unfortunately, the glaring inability to upgrade at QB, combined with dubious roster management and play calling, has led to a record that does not accurately reflect this talent.

Better at RB

Better at O-line

Better at D-line

Better at CB

Better at TE

Same at QB (Fitz vs Trent)

Same at LB

Same at Safety

Same at K/P

Same at ST

Slightly worse at WR

PTR

Now go back to 08 and make that same comparison.

Lee Evans & Josh Reed @ WR

Marshawn Lynch PB RB neither Spiller or Jackson made the pro bowl yet

Jason Peters PB LT still haven't replaced this talent completely

Aaron Schobel PB DE / pass rusher... didn't cost 100 million

Poz at LB better then anything the Bills currently have at LB

Whitner & Simpson at S

Greer & McGee @CB

Even with Trent Edwards at QB the Bills were a better team as their record says so! 7-9 beats anything Gailey / Nix have done

Then it's the coaching. As for "wasting" a #9 pick on Spiller, getting a game-changer is never a waste.

PTR

It is a waste when:

1.) you already have 2 quality RBs on your roster (1 of whom made the probowl, something Spiller hasnt done)

2.) you have a ton of needs elsewhere (most importantly QB)

3.) when you trade your current probowl RB whom Spiller replaced on the roster for a 3rd round pick (after selecting that RB in the 1st round too)

4.) when your 'game changing RB" cant even get on the field much in his rookie year because he doesn't learn the playbook

5.) when your 'game changing RB" still doesn't get the ball enough after 3 years because the HC doesn;t have confidence in him to pass block, cannot figure out how to effective use him or because he "gets winded"

I realize everyone is excited by the flashes that Spiller has shown, but he has still yet to produce on the field at a level that Lynch has. To this point, it was a HORRIBLE move to draft him and trade Lynch.

Better at RB

Better at O-line

Better at D-line

Better at CB

Better at TE

Same at QB (Fitz vs Trent)

Same at LB

Same at Safety

Same at K/P

Same at ST

Slightly worse at WR

PTR

I agree with two exceptions:

I think we about the same at CB now, although i think we are trending up with youth and will get better

I think we are worse at LB - this LB crew is one of the worst trio's I've seen. If they weren't so bad, you wouldnot see Scott playing LB and getting blown up on run plays.

The coaching has been worse.

Gailey has stated that this team is better than the team he inherited three years ago. Perhaps we do have a better OL and DL and a potential elite RB. But our record clearly shows we are not any closer to being a playoff contending team than we were when he and Nix arrived. If anything our record has shown we have regressed. Do you think Gailey is correct in his evaluation or is he delusional?

Gailey is in way over his head. Just like the GM is. The good news is in less than 3 weeks when the Bills annual non playoff season begins. They will once again become the best team on paper. The homers will be out in force saying just how great this team can be.

Always expect gems like Chandler is a top5 TE. That the receiving corps is awesome and Easley will break out in season 4, How George Wilson, Barnett, Kelsay, etc. simply had a bad year. And the D will dominate in 2013.

Expect this posturing to continue until week one of the regular season when some team will blow them out and deflate all the off season "progress"

All of this with the added bonus of the same FO clowns running the show yet again in 2013.

you gotta be kidding me. talent wise its night and day better. easiest question ever

problem is this is a fringe playoff roster and yet it looks highly likely chan wont get them close

im still willing to give him another cycle to see if he can take the next step but if they dont produce a miracle 8-8 wildcard spot he should be on a short leash next year

Worse at CB (potential is just that), worse at LB, no better at WR, a wash at RB (Spiller MAY be more productive than Lynch some day), no change (or improved, over Trent and JP) at QB, better at O-line (but these guys can't stay healthy for a season, so..so what?), D-line better in spots, TE better (not becuase of Lee Smith--we've had a ton of Lee Smith's at that postion).

What is a "short leash"? You really think that if Buddy brings this coaching cast of Keystone cops back next year he would fire them midseason? Come on!

It is a waste when:

1.) you already have 2 quality RBs on your roster (1 of whom made the probowl, something Spiller hasnt done)

2.) you have a ton of needs elsewhere (most importantly QB)

3.) when you trade your current probowl RB whom Spiller replaced on the roster for a 3rd round pick (after selecting that RB in the 1st round too)

4.) when your 'game changing RB" cant even get on the field much in his rookie year because he doesn't learn the playbook

5.) when your 'game changing RB" still doesn't get the ball enough after 3 years because the HC doesn;t have confidence in him to pass block, cannot figure out how to effective use him or because he "gets winded"

I realize everyone is excited by the flashes that Spiller has shown, but he has still yet to produce on the field at a level that Lynch has. To this point, it was a HORRIBLE move to draft him and trade Lynch.

For all the talk of "franchise this" and "franchise that" you are arguing that it's not worth picking a franchise RB at #9?? As if all 31 teams won't pick Spiller because some guy on ESPN thinks it's too soon?? How Gailey uses Spiller is irrelevant to the question.

PTR