Better team now than three years ago?

gjv001

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the talk of "franchise this" and "franchise that" you are arguing that it's not worth picking a franchise RB at #9?? As if all 31 teams won't pick Spiller because some guy on ESPN thinks it's too soon?? How Gailey uses Spiller is irrelevant to the question.

PTR

I never mentioned "franchise" anything.

I like Spiller and think he is a solid player. Was he a bad pick for the Bills at #9? HELL YES. We already had Freddy and Marshawn. Does Spiller have potential to be better than both, probably yes. Has he accomplished it, HELL NO. I would much prefer that the Bills had kept Lynch and Jackson and used the 9th pick on another need.

Buddy frustrates me. I took a lot of logic and philosophy classes in college.

IF we are better, and we have the same or worse record, THEN (to me) by definition it is the coaching that is the problem.

IF we are not better talent wise, THEN by definition it is the GM that is the problem.

Which is it Buddy???? Let's have some accountability!!

Your killing me! :wallbash:

(OK, I feel a little better now).

Even if it is the coaching - who hired the coach?

Both.

I don't really think Chan understands what he is saying half the time.

BS.

Gailey has not won 7 games in a season since coming to B-Lo and he won't this year either,

They are bigger and stronger at virtually every position. Major upgrades on OL and DL. Special teams may not be as good. The glaring problem here is QB. If they had a solid NFL QB they could be 8-5, not 5-8.

This team will never have the talent to overcome the bad coaching, which will cso them probably two games a year.

Buddy frustrates me. I took a lot of logic and philosophy classes in college.

IF we are better, and we have the same or worse record, THEN (to me) by definition it is the coaching that is the problem.

IF we are not better talent wise, THEN by definition it is the GM that is the problem.

Which is it Buddy???? Let's have some accountability!!

Your killing me! :wallbash:

(OK, I feel a little better now).

Thank You!!! Someone needs to relate that to Chan. I mean, most of us agree that we have not had as favorable a schedule in a long time. So, not only do we have a more talented roster (I think quite a bit more) but we also have an easier schedule. And the result? A worse record! I think Chan needs to be held accountable.

I would say that we are marginally better talentwise. But we still lake playmakers/stars at the important positions and our coaching is horrible.

we have a playmaker, one of the most dangerous ones in the nfl but we dont use him haha. goes back to your comment, coaching is horrible

It is a waste when:

1.) you already have 2 quality RBs on your roster (1 of whom made the probowl, something Spiller hasnt done)

2.) you have a ton of needs elsewhere (most importantly QB)

3.) when you trade your current probowl RB whom Spiller replaced on the roster for a 3rd round pick (after selecting that RB in the 1st round too)

4.) when your 'game changing RB" cant even get on the field much in his rookie year because he doesn't learn the playbook

5.) when your 'game changing RB" still doesn't get the ball enough after 3 years because the HC doesn;t have confidence in him to pass block, cannot figure out how to effective use him or because he "gets winded"

I realize everyone is excited by the flashes that Spiller has shown, but he has still yet to produce on the field at a level that Lynch has. To this point, it was a HORRIBLE move to draft him and trade Lynch.

Produce on the field like marshawn?

You mean being within 100 total yards despite 100 fewer touches?

I think Mike Lombardi likes to use blue chip and red chip to describe players. Blue chippers are the best at their position, while red chippers are very good players. I think you can classify Mario, Wood, Levitre, Bryd, and Kyle Williams as blue chippers. Stevie, Spiller/ Jackson are red chippers. Gilmore, Glenn, and Dareus have blue chip potential and should be red chippers at worse.

Did we even have any blue or red chip guys in 2009? I really can't think of any (I guess Peters but he was awful that year). We definitely are better.

Produce on the field like marshawn?

You mean being within 100 total yards despite 100 fewer touches?

Stop it. The only reason the Bills are losing is because we traded Lynch, who was an angel here. Spiller/ Jackson are scrubs.

Solid points. But weren't Wood, Levitre, Byrd, Kyle Wms and Fred already here?

Honestly, I blocked that year out. But they weren't blue chippers. Personally, I think Gilmore and Dareus will be blue chippers one day. But they aren't at that level yet. So whille those guys might have been on the Bills in 2009, they weren't blue chippers (Bryd was close though).

15-30 .333 is the current record for both Nix /Gailey. Deviating from the OP point a bit, and looking back to the Tom Donahe era.

Tom Donahoe went 31-48, and he drafted 3 players to make the pro bowl. Has any player made the pro bowl that Nix Drafted? Where are all the super stars on this team drafted by Nix on a team supposedly devoid of of talent?

At least the Bills had a winning season under Donahoe in 2004, and Mike Mularkey 9-7. At least the Bills were on the verge with Jauron / Levy at 7-9.

The talent might be equal or slightly better now. Although, no Bill player that Nix brought in has made the pro bowl, and the team simply hasn't won as many games. As big a moron as most fans now think of Dick Jauron with the offense, he wasn't as big a moron as Chan Gailey has been with the defensive side. What a waste of 3 years.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Better over all talent, more quality depth. Need help at 2 skill positions: QB and WR. The margin between 8-5 and 5-8 is not that great in this league. Coaching makes the difference in most cases. I would take Fitz over Trent. Fitz is grounded and knows his limitations. Trent was full of himself and mistakes were caused by others.

Better at RB

Better at O-line

Better at D-line

Better at CB

Better at TE

Same at QB (Fitz vs Trent)

Same at LB

Same at Safety

Same at K/P

Same at ST

Slightly worse at WR

PTR

I totally agree with this ^ - where we are better we are also younger, also younger at WR

15-30 .333 is the current record for both Nix /Gailey. Deviating from the OP point a bit, and looking back to the Tom Donahe era.

Tom Donahoe went 31-48, and he drafted 3 players to make the pro bowl. Has any player made the pro bowl that Nix Drafted? Where are all the super stars on this team drafted by Nix on a team supposedly devoid of of talent?

At least the Bills had a winning season under Donahoe in 2004, and Mike Mularkey 9-7. At least the Bills were on the verge with Jauron / Levy at 7-9.

The talent might be equal or slightly better now. Although, no Bill the Nix that brought in has made the pro bowl, and the team simply hasn't won as many games. As big a moron as most fans now think of Dick Jauron with the offense, he wasn't as big a moron as Chan Gailey has been with the defensive side. What a waste of 3 years.

well lets give Nix two more drafts like Nix and see where we are at, he also brought in Bledsoe which brought us nothing