What is with the KILL, KILL, KILL

Tu-Toned

Just curious, seems to me that all of the QB's have this same command

at the LOS pre-snap. Also seems that when they yell this, the play

is invaribly an audible from a pass to run, as I really do not see or hear any

other command prior to the ball being snapped.

I realize that the leauge is a copy cat one, bit is this not giving, at least for anybody

other than the Pats, the defense a big advantage? I would think that they would at least

be able to pick up trends, whether or not they have enough time to react quickly enough

is another issue, although how much reaction time and subsequent communications

are necessary when you go from a pass play to a run and the defense knows it?

Same thing with the states being called out like Palmer screaming Alabama

last night, he threw a quick, no read strike every time he yelled it.

Just strikes me as odd, at least you would think they would have a different

word for kill, like sugar or something, the defense would not be able to tell

if he is killing the original play, or just an add on audible like a command

for the RB to stay in and pick up a rushing LB or something.

It could be that kill is just a rouse, and the real play is communicated after

that as the QB goes through the snap count. Maybe 1-80, is a off RT run or 1-65

means a screen or something.

Thoughts/explanations?

Edited by Tu-Toned

Most teams will generally call two plays based upon what they think the defense is doing. If they don't get the matchup they were looking for, the QB can call "KILL" to switch to the other play.

How the teams use it is different, of course. It could be a called pass play killed into a run. It could be one pass play killed into another. Or a run into a pass. Totally depending on scheme, coordinator, team, strategy, gameplan, etc. Most of the time it's a pass into a run, but not always.

It also varies depending on quarter, situation, etc. Typically teams change their calls on a quarter by quarter basis, but it's again depending on coach / qb / coordinator / etc.

Edited by BlueFire

It's actually a code to let the offensive line know they're having dinner later at Alices restaurant.

Can they get anything they want.

Most teams will generally call two plays based upon what they think the defense is doing. If they don't get the matchup they were looking for, the QB can call "KILL" to switch to the other play.

How the teams use it is different, of course. It could be a called pass play killed into a run. It could be one pass play killed into another. Or a run into a pass. Totally depending on scheme, coordinator, team, strategy, gameplan, etc. Most of the time it's a pass into a run, but not always.

It also varies depending on quarter, situation, etc. Typically teams change their calls on a quarter by quarter basis, but it's again depending on coach / qb / coordinator / etc.

Thanks for the explanation, didn't think about two plays being called in the huddle, no wonder the

QB is always in a hurry. I still think that they should use another term for kill.

Another thing I always notice, and I think it was brought up by Collinsworth on NBC, is that anytime the Mannings yell "Omaha", its always checking into a run play.

Another not so obvious example from our own team is when Stevie lines up in the backfield. He always goes in motion so they can line him up with a linebacker, and they ALWAYS throw to him.

Hopefully Jeff Fisher isn't reading this.

Edited by QB Bills

It's actually a code to let the offensive line know they're having dinner later at Alices restaurant.

I remember reading an interview with Kent Hull where he talked about using names of food, ex Chicken Wings, to get the defense to start thinking of food and how hungry they were during the game instead of what the play may be.