Where do you rank Fitzpatrick?

bills44

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. How would you categorize Fitz as a starting QB? Elite? Above-average? Average? Below-average?

2. What other current starting QBs is he comparable to?

3. If you feel that he is above-average, which QBs are better?

4. If you feel that he is average, which QBs are worse?

1. Average, with Below-average potential -- that is important since so many of current starters are YOUNG and promising with potential and higher upsides

2. Cassel

3. Vast majority of NFL starters are either better (Rodgers, Manning brothers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Flaaco, Schaub, Romo, Stafford, Ryan, Cutler etc.) -- OR --- are young and offer significantly more potential / upside (Luck, Tannehill, Wilson, RG3, Newton, Dalton, Ponder, Weeden, Locker, Gabbert, Freeman, Bradford etc. ) ---

4. Not many -- I think you can put Fitz in a discussion with Cassel, Palmer, Rivers (especially the way he's playing this year), Vick, Kolb and maybe one other

QB's fit into a few categories:

1- Elite (The Top 10-12)

2- Potential (1-2 year starters -- right now that's 10-12)

3- Solid, but not elite (another 5-6 guys)

4- Everyone else --- less than solid, not much potential

Whatever the final number, FItz is in the last category ---

You're doing yourself a disservice by lumping Wilson in with Luck and RG3. Has he been good for a rookie? yes. Has he been winning the games? Not so much. That team lives and dies by the D and the run game. Evidence? 12 starts, only 3 games with > 30 attempts. If the defense allows more than 20 points, the Seahawks are 1-3 (the win being over the Patriots, which was arguably Wilson's best game along with yesterday). He's been solid, but unspectacular. RG3 and Luck on the other hand...well, they've been just flat out spectacular.

Actually yes he has, I'd say he won 3 of them games he put the team on his back and did it (Pats, Bears, Packers w/the bad call).. IDK why you say he hasn't been spectacular he's got 9 touchdowns 0 ints in the last 4 games. Luck has thrown 8.. What you talmbout?

1. How would you categorize Fitz as a starting QB? Elite? Above-average? Average? Below-average?

Below Average- Bottom 5 Starter

Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder

3. I honestly can say that the only qbs i wouldnt trade him for are Kolb and Cassel. I think he is just as bad as Sanchez.

Below Average- Bottom 5 Starter

Kevin Kolb, Matt Cassel, Christian Ponder

3. I honestly can say that the only qbs i wouldnt trade him for are Kolb and Cassel. I think he is just as bad as Sanchez.

This guy right here. This is either masterful trolling or he hasn't watched any games this year and just reads this board.

Average to below average.

Definitely worse (regardless of stage of career): Sanchez/Tebow, Gabbert, Locker, Weeden, Palmer, Quinn/Cassel, Foles, Skelton/Lindley/unhealthy Kolb

Probably comparable (depending on the day, most of these guys are pretty inconsistent...just like Fitz): Hasselbeck, Henne, Tannehill, Dalton, Vick (2012 version), Ponder, Newton, Bradford, Wilson, healthy Kolb

^ this.

I don't think there is any more evaluation to be done on Fitz. He is who he is. I expect a new QB on the roster next season. BUT...I don't expect Nix to sign someone just to make a slight improvement.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This guy right here. This is either masterful trolling or he hasn't watched any games this year and just reads this board.

People are obsessed with Fitzpatrick's effect on this team as if he alone is the reason the Bills have a bad record. No one mentions the defense's effect on our record. The first half of the year the defense gave up a crazy amount of yards and points. I don't ever remember a Bills defense being as bad as this one was earlier in the year. But it's somehow all Fitzpatrick's fault...LOL

I think he's right square-in-the-middle average. For me, he deserves a final evaluation after these last four games and seeing him playing with a much improved defense.

^ this.

I don't think there is any more evaluation to be done on Fitz. He is who he is. I expect a new QB on the roster next season. BUT...I don't expect Nix to sign someone just to make a slight improvement.

PTR

Agreed, and that has been the whole point. People inflate the worth of all of these other QBs when they would at best be a marginal improvement.

Leinart made the Texans roster this year and has been on an NFL roster since being drafted. But, carry on.

Actually he was cut by the Texans.....but carry on!

He is average imo. I would say worse than him are; gabbert/henne, kolb/skelton, wheeden, bradford (I don't care where he was drafted Rams should have traded him and drafted rg3), tannehill, sanchez, Locker, Quinn/Cassell, Carson Palmer, Nick Foles, and Ponder.

On a plain with Flacco, Dalton, and Alex Smith.

So I have him clearly better than 11 qbs and on a plain with 3 putting him somewhere between 17-21 which I think is reasonable.

Better than him without question; Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Manning x2, Cutler, Rodgers, Ryan, Freeman,

Early but likely better; Luck, rg3, Newton, Wilson

Probably better; Rivers, Stafford, Schaub and Romo

This is a nice job. I might quibble with the worse/on a plain with a little bit, and I think Schaub is definitely better, but overall agree.

So to the OP, average (mid- to bottom of the middle 3rd), 15th-21st. And it varies by how he's used.

This debate needs to stop. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a back-up that is capable of putting up very good numbers in a pass happy offense when it plays bad defenses.

He falls somewhere between 30 and 32 on my list. In fact, the only worse situations right now:

Arizona (Skelton, Kolb, other guy)

Jets (Sanchez, McAlroy)

The super rookies (RG3, Luck, Wilson) are in a class by themself. The other young guys Locker and Cam Newton, and rookies (Wheeden, Tanehill, etc.) still need a little more time to determine. All have showed promise in limited NFL careers and will mos likely be better than Fitz.

Agree with this, except I would add Gabbert and Cassel to the mix.

I put Fitz in the middle of the pack of NFL quarterbacks. Over the last 2 years of the "Fitz Tenure", our Defense may be the worst in the league. And our best wide receiver is a 7th round draft choice with grandma speed.

We have to have at least an average NFL quarterback to win any games with this team.

I wonder just how much attention Fitz's critics pay to the other QBs around the league.

Bottom line for me is that those of you who think Fitz is a bottom-dwelling bum simply do not realize just how average the vast majority of QBs are in this league. And in that average category I would include several QBs who are considered elite.

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong. I have the sunday ticket and waych a ton of games. Lately I DVR the bills games and go back to watch the carnage later. There is just too much good football being played elswhere. In terms of ranking Fitz, there may be a lot of average QBing in this league. But it's amazing how good that Qbing looks through the prism of Bills fandom. That tells me Fitz is well below average, so I'd put him in the bottom quarter for sure. I rarely watch a game where I see QB's that don't make routine throws look routine. The Bills receivers are pretty average, but they are open often and the ball is misfired on most throws that have to travel more than10 yards in the air. Anyone who watches Fitzpatrick and makes comparison to Brees, etc, well i don't know what to tell you. It's so far off base it barely warrants acknowlegement. Fitzpatrick is bottom 8 in the NFl for sure, and that is probably generous.

Better Question...If waived today would Fitz clear waivers?....probably....after clearing waivers what teams would be interesting in his services besides the Buffalo Bills as a starting QB...?? The only team that maybe would be remotely interested would probably be the Chiefs maybe the Jets but Sanchez has better skill sets than Fitz.....Confidence is Sanchez's problem now and it wont improve in NY ...He needs to get out of NY while he may be still serviceable otherwise he will be done soon.. Besides being a back up somewhere can't see Fitz finding a better situation.

I can't believe people are still defending Fitz. He literally cannot THROW!!!!

Think about it, we have a QB that cannot throw. Can. Not. THROW.

And people think he is on the same level as Russel Wilson? Have you seen wilson? He can make every single throw one could imagine. He flicks his wrist and its 50 yards on a rope (which is about 10 yards farther than fitz can flop it forward). He is accurate as hell and fast as schit too. Fitz is a pop-warner QB when compared to him. Actually, I bet if Wilson were to throw left handed, it would be like Fitz throwing with his right.

Dalton is way way way better too.

You want a good comparison to Fitz? I'll give you Charlie Batch - the Steelers THIRD STRING QB.

Edited by peterpan

I put Fitz in the middle of the pack of NFL quarterbacks. Over the last 2 years of the "Fitz Tenure", our Defense may be the worst in the league. And our best wide receiver is a 7th round draft choice with grandma speed.

We have to have at least an average NFL quarterback to win any games with this team.

Well, you got that one wrong.

What teams would be interested in Fitz as a starter? Asked another way what team would you not take the starter from? jests, AZ are sure things. Jacksonville? That's all I got so I'd rank him 27ish figuring Quinn and Palmer are pushes.

Average to sometimes above average. I'd rank him somewhere between 12 to 16.

Above Jay Cutler - IMO he's over rated. And really what's Andy Dalton done? His 80 rating is similar to Fitz's.

Definitely worse (regardless of stage of career): Sanchez/Tebow, Gabbert, Locker, Weeden, Palmer, Quinn/Cassel, Foles, Skelton/Lindley/unhealthy Kolb

Put the crack down and step away from the table!!

Sanchez? Did you see who got benched Sunday? Tim Tebow??? Also not playing due to some mysterious rib injury?

What teams would be interested in Fitz as a starter? Asked another way what team would you not take the starter from? jests, AZ are sure things. Jacksonville? That's all I got so I'd rank him 27ish figuring Quinn and Palmer are pushes.

The possibilities do exist, I can see a few places where he could fit. - Pick any team where their rookie may need a year or two to develope.

The Iggles, NYETS, Raiders, JAX, KC, Rams, Cards.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Maybe the defense is among the worst (at least in part) because Fitz doesn't take care of the ball and has too many 3 and outs. And what difference does speed make at WR? So Fitz can miss them by 1 yard instead of 2?

Fitz above Cutler?????? I live in Chicago and watch both play. Cutler is way better. He flicks the ball 30 yards whereas Fitz just can't make that throw....or many throws. The Bears O-line sucks, but the team is night & day better with Cutler. Fitz makes the Bills better by throwing less.

Edited by JPS

I think Fitz is near the bottom of the barrell. I have 21 starting QBs better than him. 4 equal to him. And 6 worse than him. So that would put him at # 26.

However, I also noted 6 backups who are equal to/better than Fitz.

Other Starting QBs Better Than Fitz - E. Manning, Griffin, Romo, Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford, Ryan, Freeman, Brees, Newton, Wilson, Brady, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Dalton, Weedon, Schaub, Luck, Hasselbeck, P. Manning, Rivers

Other Starting QBs Equal - Kaepernick, Sanchez, Quinn, Palmer

Other Starting QBs Worse - Foles, Ponder, Skelton, Bradford, Tannehill, Gabbert

Noteable backups:

Tebow - worse than Fitz

McElroy - worse than Fitz

Moore - better than Fitz

Vick - worse than Fitz

Alex Smith - equal to Fitz

Kolb - worse than Fitz

Cassel - equal to Fitz

Batch - equal to Fitz

Leftwich - worse than Fitz

Orton - better than Fitz

Campbell - equal to Fitz

Bottom line ... we can, and we need to, do better than this guy.

Well, you got that one wrong.

I would NOT take the following teams starters over Fitz.

Jets

Browns

Dolphins-maybe as Tannyhill is just a rookie

Titans

Jaguars

Chiefs

Raiders-maybe, inconsistancy issues, kinda what we have now with Fitz

Chargers-maybe, see Raiders

Eagles-maybe I like Foles

Vikings

Bucs

Panthers-maybe Cam would need to show me alot more maturity as I think he is headed down the V Young path, headcase I wouldn't want any part of.

Cardinals

49ers-maybe Capaernick I'll take, Smith no

Rams-maybe, I actually like Bradford, but he hasn't taken that next step as a #1 should have by now.

Seahawks-not sold on Wilson

So to me Fitz is middle of the road, not the best and not the worst. All this bellyaching about how horrible Fitz is, is hogwash at best.

Average to sometimes above average. I'd rank him somewhere between 12 to 16.

Above Jay Cutler - IMO he's over rated. And really what's Andy Dalton done? His 80 rating is similar to Fitz's.

Put the crack down and step away from the table!!

Sanchez? Did you see who got benched Sunday? Tim Tebow??? Also not playing due to some mysterious rib injury?

The possibilities do exist, I can see a few places where he could fit. - Pick any team where their rookie may need a year or two to develope.

The Iggles, NYETS, Raiders, JAX, KC, Rams, Cards.

sounds like someone else might have to put the crack down.....between 12-16? Better than Cutler? What has Dalton done? Playoffs in rookie season maybe? Somewhere Fitz will never go? :thumbdown:

There are MAYBE 5 teams max who would consider a qb as bad as Fitz IMO.......that's way below "middle of the pack"

too many middle of the packs here for my tastes...........fitz is a knuckleballer, playing the wrong sport.

Jets

Browns

Titans

Jaguars

Chiefs

Vikings

Bucs

Panthers-maybe Cam would need to show me alot more maturity as I think he is headed down the V Young path, headcase I wouldn't want any part of.

Cardinals

Rams-maybe, I actually like Bradford, but he hasn't taken that next step as a #1 should have by now.

So to me Fitz is middle of the road, not the best and not the worst. All this bellyaching about how horrible Fitz is, is hogwash at best.

why is he a headcase? why is he being compared to VY? this is some jibberish, is it a black thing? a young guy who hates to lose is a headcase?

Noteable backups:

Tebow - worse than Fitz

McElroy - worse than Fitz

Moore - better than Fitz

Vick - worse than Fitz

Alex Smith - equal to Fitz

Kolb - worse than Fitz

Cassel - equal to Fitz

Batch - equal to Fitz

Leftwich - worse than Fitz

Orton - better than Fitz

Campbell - equal to Fitz

Bottom line ... we can, and we need to, do better than this guy.

By your logic Batch, Cassel, and Alex Smith are interchangeable. I'm no Alex Smith fan but you can't believe they are all eqqually as talented. Please explain to me how a 38 year old Charlie Batch is as good as Fitz in your eyes. Please explain what Campbell has done to be thought of as good. Your list has a lot of holes. In your opinion Matt Cassel is better than Michael Vick!

Jets

Browns

Titans

Jaguars

Chiefs

Vikings

Bucs

Cardinals

Agreed.....he is average in a league of mostly average QBs. I heard how wonderful Tannehill was despite evidence to the contrary and he looked absolutely horrible at the Ralph.

I am not saying Fitz is the end all and be all to us, I am just saying about 20 other teams are dealing with the same problems with QB play we are.....he is the 2nd best QB in our division.

Russell Wilson is having a great year as a rookie yet Fitz has more TD passes, less sacks, has passed for more yards and his longest TD pass is better than Wilson.

We need an upgrade at QB but finding one is a lot harder than people think because all you have to do is look at the rest of the league and realize most teams are in the same boat.

By your logic Batch, Cassel, and Alex Smith are interchangeable. I'm no Alex Smith fan but you can't believe they are all eqqually as talented. Please explain to me how a 38 year old Charlie Batch is as good as Fitz in your eyes. Please explain what Campbell has done to be thought of as good. Your list has a lot of holes. In your opinion Matt Cassel is better than Michael Vick!

if we had charlie batch instead of fitz would our record be worse? doubtful.

Jets

Browns

Titans

Jaguars

Chiefs

Vikings

Bucs

Cardinals

Well, that's certainly an interesting perspective. Now, ask yourself this question "what GM would trade their starter for Fitz head up?" Putting Fitzpatrick anywhere near the middle of the pack is delusional in my opinion. But...take your lower mediocrity and enjoy more of the same crap year after year.

if we had charlie batch instead of fitz would our record be worse? doubtful.

wow just wow. Well Charlie Batch lost to the Browns so I guess that would be at least 1 win off the board. I really don't want to resort to name calling but :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

A 38 year old Charlie Batch is better than Fitz, in my eyes. Campbell torched the Bills a year ago, if I recall correctly (a game we luckily won) and he has a better arm than Fitz, is more accurate than Fitz and is more mobile than Fitz. And in my opinion, 90% of the QBs in the league are better than Vick - including Cassel. Vick sucks.

wow just wow. Well Charlie Batch lost to the Browns so I guess that would be at least 1 win off the board. I really don't want to resort to name calling but :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

handpick the game to prove your theory? and forget about this weekend where batch beat Ravens huh? Paint the whole picture sir.........don't let your fitzlove and animosity towards my fitz blows message cloud the truth........

Here's the thing though, I'm not a Fitz lover. I realize his shortcomings. I realize the Bills would be well served by an upgrade at the qb position. I also realize that there are teams with worse starting qbs. I also realize that the o-line looks much better bc Fitz gets the ball out so quickly. I also realize other than SJ13 he has few tools to work with as far as receivers go. I also realize that other qbs miss wide open receivers. I also realize that other qbs fail down the stretch.

As for the Baltimore win you realize they have the 25th ranked D right? They are missing Webb and Lewis as well as Suggs going down. This isn't the normal vaunted Ravens D that he torched.

Here's the thing though, I'm not a Fitz lover. I realize his shortcomings. I realize the Bills would be well served by an upgrade at the qb position. I also realize that there are teams with worse starting qbs. I also realize that the o-line looks much better bc Fitz gets the ball out so quickly. I also realize other than SJ13 he has few tools to work with as far as receivers go. I also realize that other qbs miss wide open receivers. I also realize that other qbs fail down the stretch.

As for the Baltimore win you realize they have the 25th ranked D right? They are missing Webb and Lewis as well as Suggs going down. This isn't the normal vaunted Ravens D that he torched.

The only part of this I can definitely disagree with is the comment about the O-line. I have no idea why people can't give this unit credit. Does everyone think Spiller and Jackson are really that great? They don't make holes themselves. Especially Spiller. Yet he's averaging close to 7 YPC. That is the O-line. And never before have I seen so many people say that a QB makes the O-line look better. Maybe if we're talking about a Manning or Favre or someone elite ... but how the hell does Ryan Fitzparick make anyone look better at anything? He takes less sacks than most QBs in the league. Part of it is that he gets rid of the ball quickly. But after a few years of similar stats, you can't take it away from the O-line. They protect the QB and it is proven on the field and in the stats. In my humble opinion, of course.

The only part of this I can definitely disagree with is the comment about the O-line. I have no idea why people can't give this unit credit. Does everyone think Spiller and Jackson are really that great? They don't make holes themselves. Especially Spiller. Yet he's averaging close to 7 YPC. That is the O-line. And never before have I seen so many people say that a QB makes the O-line look better. Maybe if we're talking about a Manning or Favre or someone elite ... but how the hell does Ryan Fitzparick make anyone look better at anything? He takes less sacks than most QBs in the league. Part of it is that he gets rid of the ball quickly. But after a few years of similar stats, you can't take it away from the O-line. They protect the QB and it is proven on the field and in the stats. In my humble opinion, of course.

Run blocking they are an excellent o-line. Pass pro is a bit different though. I see them getting pushed around a lot and I wonder if the reliance on quick hitting passes has to do with this. It doesn't seem like Fitz is given much time to get comfortable. When they give him time is when we see his really good games. When they don't we get the colts game. I by no means think the o-line can be described as bad I just feel they get a boost bc the ball is out quickly.

When the Bills played the Giants the comments from the Giants d-line were that sacks against him were nearly impossible because the ball comes out so quick. That is what I was alluding to - sometimes that stat skews people's perceptions.

Run blocking they are an excellent o-line. Pass pro is a bit different though. I see them getting pushed around a lot and I wonder if the reliance on quick hitting passes has to do with this. It doesn't seem like Fitz is given much time to get comfortable. When they give him time is when we see his really good games. When they don't we get the colts game. I by no means think the o-line can be described as bad I just feel they get a boost bc the ball is out quickly.

When the Bills played the Giants the comments from the Giants d-line were that sacks against him were nearly impossible because the ball comes out so quick. That is what I was alluding to - sometimes that stat skews people's perceptions.

The ball is out quickly due to the short routes that are called with noodle arm back there at QB. I highly doubt Gruden,etc, would rave about Fitz's Marino-like release. The Colts game hardly strengthens the argument. If Fitz makes two NFL caliber throws in that game-not great throws mind you, just throws guys around the league make routinely- we win. Spiller over the middle on Colts offside play, Jones down left sideline. Game over, even if nothing else changes. He simply cannot make NFL caliber throws over about 10 yards in the air. I've seen more great throws from say Kaepernick in 3 games than I've ever seen Fitzpatrick make. He is just so limited athletically, I would actually only rank him ahead of your washed up retreads like J. campbell, Batch, Leftwich, Carr et al. Definitely not ahead of young players like Bradford, because Fitzpatrick has no upside left. He will not get any better. What you see is what you get.