Where do you rank Fitzpatrick?

bills44

Thanks I fixed it. I'm up and down on Flacco, at home he is usually very good but on the road not so much. Add to that the benefit of playing with the D he does and I have a hard time bumping him. I thought to myself if we put Fitz on their team would they be better or worse and also conversely if their qb came to the Bills would the Bills be better or worse. 17-21 is where I ended up too :beer:

I had a real hard time with Rivers too. He should be better than Fitz but I just don't see it translate. I wonder if it is the lack of weapons and coaching but it appears something else has been happening these last 2 years. Physical breakdown maybe?

its about where ive had him the last three years - i think he peaked at about 17-18 for me and has fallen as low as 22-23ish for me over that span (depending on which ways i had some of his peers going). Once in that grouping, its really just a matter of fit to scheme, coaching, talent of team, etc... that makes the biggest difference. thats why i try not to peg exact numbers.

rivers did get both beat up a lot the last two years and lost A LOT of talent. he also has an awful head coach. last it seems his mechanics are getting worse, not better. whether thats compensating for some sort of injuries (or something similar) or is a product of getting lazy with his craft - i havent seen enough to venture a guess. id put him ahead of fitz, but not as high as i once would. he used to be near the top of that 9-16 group for me and now hes likely closer to the bottom (guys like schaub, ryan, romo, maybe flacco jumping him, and luck getting pretty solidly up the chart for example).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't honestly call Fitz "average" because i don't believe he can make all the throws NFL QBs are expected to make anymore. He's a below average game manager who throws too many bad interceptions.

An average QB with Buffalo's running game would be able to pick apart most NFL defenses. Fitz does not do that anymore.

I had a discussion with another poster in the Shoutbox last night regarding Fitzpatrick.

This is what the poster said:

"Is Fitz elite? No way. Is he reasonable? No. Is he as good as the average NFL QB? Probably"

So, my questions are this:

1. How would you categorize Fitz as a starting QB? Elite? Above-average? Average? Below-average?

2. What other current starting QBs is he comparable to?

3. If you feel that he is above-average, which QBs are better?

4. If you feel that he is average, which QBs are worse?

average and still not good enough.

Do you actually watch other teams play? Or do you only watch the Bills and then highlights? To say that only the Jets and Cards have a worse qb situation makes me wonder if you even watch Bills games. Or did Chad Henne show you he was the real deal yesterday?

I meant to include Jacksonville in that group. I watch plenty of games, which makes it that much more frustrating.

LOL..it's pointless to argue with people like him.

Thanks for taking time off of your duties as GM of some NFL franchise to to point that out.

You're doing yourself a disservice by lumping Wilson in with Luck and RG3. Has he been good for a rookie? yes. Has he been winning the games? Not so much. That team lives and dies by the D and the run game. Evidence? 12 starts, only 3 games with > 30 attempts. If the defense allows more than 20 points, the Seahawks are 1-3 (the win being over the Patriots, which was arguably Wilson's best game along with yesterday). He's been solid, but unspectacular. RG3 and Luck on the other hand...well, they've been just flat out spectacular.

I am probably biased because I watched a lot of Wisconsin football last year and I am convinced that he is going to be an excellent QB. I can't argue with your stats, but I wish that we had him.

Alex Smith? Does the 49ers elite defense, elite TE, very good WR's and stout Ol come with him?

I am not saying that Alex Smith is elite by any means, but we are talking about Fitz here. The Bills would be better off with Alex Smith. He doesn't turn the football over nearly as much as Fitz - never has.

It's hard to rank a guy that is so handcuffed by his HC. Do people realize that there are plays where Fitzpatrick is given ONE option and one option only in terms of delivering the football. There are plays where he is told that there is no second or third option of someone to pass to. There are plays where audibles are not even on the table. With all that said, some notable numbers stick out here. He's 19th in attempts overall, but 21st in yards and 26th in yards per attempt. By the numbers, he's getting below average opportunity to throw the ball (surprisingly to me), but also not doing much with it. His rating and completion percentage are pretty much average at 17th. Where he's actually done well is sacks taken and TD's. Despite being so low in pass attempts, he's 8th in sacks taken and 9th in TD passes. The guy he reminds me the most of at this point is Jay Cutler. Modest passer rating, TD's better than INT's, but tends to make boneheaded throws from time to time. The only difference is that Cutler has the Bears defense to back him up. Well, except for this weekend anyway.

I think you're making a mistake by simply trying to compare Fitz to all of the other QBs in the league currently and deciding if he is average. The better way to think about it, in my opinion is this: Is Fitz good enough to win consistently, win close games and win playoff games? And in my opinion the answer is a resounding NO. Endlessly debating how he compares to Matt Cassel or Tony Romo is a waste of time to me.

Edited by Maddog69

Not even close. If the Bills had any one of those three QBS we would be talking about the playoffs.

I completely agree. Flacco, Dalton and A. Smith...in that order.

You know what kind of QB Fitz is? The Bills do better when he has fewer throws. That's how good he is. Who really cares whether he's better than Sanchez (he's not). Bottom line is if you don't have a winner and a leader at QB, your team is in the bottom half.

Edited by JPS

Better Same Worse Brady Tanneyhill Sanchez Flacco Rothisberger Weedon Dalton Palmer Cassels Rivers P. Manning Luck Schaub Hasselback Henne E. Manning Romo RG III Rogers Cutler Stafford Ponder Ryan Brees Freeman Newton Bradford Kapernick Wilson Skelton

I have Fitzpatrick better than only 3 QB's right now with 20 beter than him based on current or projected future performance. You can take your pick in the middle column. I would classify Fitzpatrick as a back-up, but when you factor in what he is making, he is definitely underachieving. The Bills definitely need an upgrade here and I hope they go for Landry Jones of Oklahoma.

Do you actually watch other teams play? Or do you only watch the Bills and then highlights? To say that only the Jets and Cards have a worse qb situation makes me wonder if you even watch Bills games. Or did Chad Henne show you he was the real deal yesterday?

I wonder this about many posters lately. And I'm not so sure a lot of them even watch the Bills.

Edited by Rob's House

Where are all the Colin Kapernick is so awesome and so much better than Fitz comparisons today?? Oh yeah, they saw him play the vaunted St Louis Rams defense and light them up for 13 points in 75 minutes of football .......oh yeah, did you see the nice safety he gave them by running 20 yards backwards?

He must be an elite QB and better than Fitz because he's not on our team. Sanchez is awesome too. Same with Skelton, Christian Ponder too. Sam Bradford has really turned the Rams around. Tannehill and Gabbert are awesome and their teams have more wins than the Bills....wait a second. Wow, it seems the more I talk about other QBs the more I see this league has a bunch of average to below average QBs.

What a shocker! Fitz is the 2nd best QB in AFC East folks....that is how it is. Yeah, Tebow is better than Fitz yet cannot even get on the field with Sanchez as the QB. Maybe we should have drafted Matt Leinhart too! People on this board probably think he's better than Fitz too even though he can't make an NFL roster

Where are all the Colin Kapernick is so awesome and so much better than Fitz comparisons today?? Oh yeah, they saw him play the vaunted St Louis Rams defense and light them up for 13 points in 75 minutes of football .......oh yeah, did you see the nice safety he gave them by running 20 yards backwards?

He must be an elite QB and better than Fitz because he's not on our team. Sanchez is awesome too. Same with Skelton, Christian Ponder too. Sam Bradford has really turned the Rams around. Tannehill and Gabbert are awesome and their teams have more wins than the Bills....wait a second. Wow, it seems the more I talk about other QBs the more I see this league has a bunch of average to below average QBs.

What a shocker! Fitz is the 2nd best QB in AFC East folks....that is how it is. Yeah, Tebow is better than Fitz yet cannot even get on the field with Sanchez as the QB. Maybe we should have drafted Matt Leinhart too! People on this board probably think he's better than Fitz too even though he can't make an NFL roster

:thumbdown: Fitz is awesome vs a 2-9 team.......... oh nevermind, he sucked the life out of the stands and the playoffs..........pound your chest and you are correct....Fitz rules!! :death: :death: more blackouts please!

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Leinart made the Texans roster this year and has been on an NFL roster since being drafted. But, carry on.

Leinart made the Texans roster this year and has been on an NFL roster since being drafted. But, carry on.

Brady Quinn had a decent showing against Carolina. He is a Leinart contemporary so we should consider him too as part of our initiative to salvage failed first round QBs.

I had a discussion with another poster in the Shoutbox last night regarding Fitzpatrick.

This is what the poster said:

"Is Fitz elite? No way. Is he reasonable? No. Is he as good as the average NFL QB? Probably"

So, my questions are this:

1. How would you categorize Fitz as a starting QB? Elite? Above-average? Average? Below-average?

2. What other current starting QBs is he comparable to?

3. If you feel that he is above-average, which QBs are better?

4. If you feel that he is average, which QBs are worse?

Bottom 5 QB in the league. The others are Vick, Rivers, and 2 others to be named later :) The reason for that is not mental, but he cannot make the throws required of a starter on a weekly basis. He would be a FANTASTIC backup. You simply cannot miss wide-open WR's at the rate he does and be a starter.

I think Kapernick is currently undefeated and beat the Bears in his first 1/2 season as a starter. Think Fitzy could beat the Bears. hahaahahah. NO! Comparing Fitz to Sanchez and Tannehil is also rediculous. Wow, they are terrible, so Fitz is not a backup caliber QB?!?!?

Edited by RyanC883

I think Kapernick is currently undefeated and beat the Bears in his first 1/2 season as a starter. Think Fitzy could beat the Bears. hahaahahah. NO! Comparing Fitz to Sanchez and Tannehil is also rediculous. Wow, they are terrible, so Fitz is not a backup caliber QB?!?!?

Kaepernick is not undefeated. The Niners lost to the RAMs (of all teams) yesterday. Beating the Bears is not exactly an impressive accomplishment.

Edited by prissythecat