Ron brooks

BeastMode54

He didn't start. He was forced to play due to McKelvin's back issue. Maybe practicing all week as a starter makes a difference. Dunno.

One thing I liked around him is he was around the ball and played with a bit of an edge. Who knows. He's a rookie. I've seen worse (#23).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe he just needs more experience.

Brooks did not start in college btw.

For all we know, he has a great work ethic.

Exactly. I'll be shocked if this kid isn't starting for us opposite Gilmore next year and for many years. They went at him all day. Sure, he had penalties. A few of which were pretty ticky tack IMO. I love his speed, tenacity and ability to stay close to wrs. I think he has a very bright future.

I hope someone sat down after the game and told him not to be discouraged... As others have said, the Jags were picking on him all game; he's probably a little bit frustrated!

But yeah, it'd be tough to be disappointed, given it was his first start.

I don't think he will be discouraged......one of things I noticed and liked about his play today was the swagger he brought to his game.

When he made a play he made sure the opposing receiver knew about it, as I noticed him get into it with Shorts, Blackmon, and even Chad Henne at one point.

I believe he will use these next 4 games as good on the job training, and make a serious push for the starting CB role opposite Gilmore in training camp next year.

By the way, does anyone else think Special K replying to Cereal is a little bit funny?

Edited by Special K

It's not a bad thing that Brooks had an up and down day, if he was the reason for a loss, that would be one thing, but this was a win, and he got more experience, that's a good thing, I've got no complaints, he should be better next week!!!

It's not a bad thing that Brooks had an up and down day, if he was the reason for a loss, that would be one thing, but this was a win, and he got more experience, that's a good thing, I've got no complaints, he should be better next week!!!

I'm interested to see how he matches up against Amendola next week. Coming out of LSU his greatest strength was defending the slot.

Brooks was picked on a lot today, but you had to expect that. He had some up-and-down moments, which is not surprising.

He needs to turn his head around when the ball is being thrown his way, but I think that will just come with more experience.

It's only one game, so I'm not getting too crazy about his play, but it's a start.

I don't think he will be discouraged......one of things I noticed and liked about his play today was the swagger he brought to his game.

When he made a play he made sure the opposing receiver knew about it, as I noticed him get into it with Shorts, Blackmon, and even Chad Henne at one point.

I believe he will use these next 4 games as good on the job training, and make a serious push for the starting CB role opposite Gilmore in training camp next year.

By the way, does anyone else think Special K replying to Cereal is a little bit funny?

Is that why you made this reply?

I tracked Ron Brooks while watching shortcuts today. The Jaguars went after him a whopping 18 times. He gave up 7 catches and had one PI penalty and an illegal use of hands penalty. Two passes defensed.

Talk about your on the job training! Holy cow! 18 targets!

Counting the penalties, he was beat 50% of the time. Not good, but not horrible either. The kid looks like he belongs out there.

I think his inexperience really hurt them today. He could eventually be a decent player but really needs to work harder.

I don't understand. What does this mean? How do you know how hard he works? Seems he worked very hard to come back from an injury and played well in his first extensive action.

He is a great athlete. He was probably drafted with the idea he could play special teams very well right away and get in on some nickel and dime packages. Definitely has the upside to be a starter but needs to develop quite a bit yet that would be why the Jags tested him so much. He needs to have a solid offseason.

He was also player of the game multiple times when he did get some starts because one of the others were out. On any other team he would have been a college all star and a sure first rounder. This kid is way talented, trust me when I say he is gonna be a good one. Just like I predicted with Byrd on draft night, i also said it on draft night when brooks was taken, and I am still saying it now...he's gonna be very good.

If he had not been hurt, he would have been starting a while ago. They really liked him in the summer but had to wait to get him in there. He's probably a starter next year.

Really?

He was terrible today.

He got beat several times and never looked back for the ball. In a closer game, that stupid personal foul could have cost us a win.

The only thing that saved his butt was that Henne sucks.

Agreed. He along with Bryan Scott were the worst defenders today. Mercedes Lewis was open on every freakin play.

Brooks has to turn his head around. The ball was going an inch over his shoulder - he could've had 2-3 easy picks had he not been faceguarding.

Well they threw at him all day. And since they are the Jags...they had no success. That said...lets wait until Brady tests him and see how that goes.

Good point.

But I thought he looked goo, he had some good pass break ups and the PI call on his was BS too.

He didn't start. He was forced to play due to McKelvin's back issue. Maybe practicing all week as a starter makes a difference. Dunno.

One thing I liked around him is he was around the ball and played with a bit of an edge. Who knows. He's a rookie. I've seen worse (#23).

Actually he did start. He was at LCB on the very first defensive snap and played the entire first series. McKelvin didnt go down untill returning a punt. I dont recall if the Bills were on O or D first but regardless he techinically did start.

OK, first of all, he was at CB on the first play. McKelvin's injury was has back tightened up overnight, and they tried to have him return punts. He went down funny after a fair catch in the 1st qrt, and was walked off the field after that. Now, back to Brooks play. He was really green out there, and did commit penalities, and really got beat a number of times. (Shorts, mostly) After watching him all day, I agree he plays hard every play, and will learn the NFL game better with experience. But, contrary to several comments above, I am worried about his speed. In the Indy game, he was closely trailing Hilton on the TD kickoff return, and he could not keep up....could not run down Hilton. Therefore, I deduce that his speed is average at best, and not premium burner speed to run with the best receivers. (see McKelvin for speed) But, he was no worse than Arron Williams has been, and maybe better on a number of plays. So, he may still be a player or starter even, but I am not convinced yet by any means.

I think he's promising and well, to be blunt, what really are our odds for the playoffs going forward? Considering that he was thrown into the deep end of the pool for his first start I think he did alright. I seem to remember Gilmore getting picked on early and often during the beginning of the season and he has come a long way since then. I'm still holding out hope that Aaron Williams can turn it around but to be honest I'm feeling better about our secondary than I did this time last season.

I think he's promising and well, to be blunt, what really are our odds for the playoffs going forward? Considering that he was thrown into the deep end of the pool for his first start I think he did alright. I seem to remember Gilmore getting picked on early and often during the beginning of the season and he has come a long way since then. I'm still holding out hope that Aaron Williams can turn it around but to be honest I'm feeling better about our secondary than I did this time last season.

You don't need elite speed at CB if you are able to be in good position, dictate routes using footwork, press coverage, and the sideline, and are play physical. Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson are perfect examples of this.

I really think people underestimate how hard it is to play corner in today's NFL. You have to run with elite athletes who know where they are going to cut. Additionally, it you breathe on a guy past 5 yards, it is a penalty. Corner is the most physically difficult position to play in this league. I'll take games like that from rookie cbs everyday. I love teh aggresiveness. I also think the NFL should change PI to 15 yards. But they won't because the league hates defense.

You don't need elite speed at CB if you are able to be in good position, dictate routes using footwork, press coverage, and the sideline, and are play physical. Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson are perfect examples of this.

Champ Bailey ran a famous 4.28 40 time at the combine.

This thread proves that at least 50% of the board has no idea what they are talking about. I've never seen so many polar opposite opinions on the same player during the same game.