Steve Mariucci sees bright future for Fitzpatrick in Buffalo

HOUSE

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) mooch is just saying what ive been telling the whiners for years, fitz is not elite but hes good enuf to win with. fans want the super qb or nuthin but they never fully remember how truly awful bad qbing can actually be

Concur completely. It's like people here have blocked out the last decade of bad QB play we've had. Remember all those horrible sacks, picks, fumbles, check-downs...

Fitz isn't a star, but he is solid enough to take a good team very far. Kinda like when brad johnson and gannon went on those super bowl runs several years ago.

Concur completely. It's like people here have blocked out the last decade of bad QB play we've had. Remember all those horrible sacks, picks, fumbles, check-downs...

Fitz isn't a star, but he is solid enough to take a good team very far. Kinda like when brad johnson and gannon went on those super bowl runs several years ago.

Up until the TEN game, I was 100% on board with this assessment. But I don't think a football team should need an elite defense to beat "good" teams. I place most of our losses squarely on the defense. I do think Fitz has very respectable stats and that he has kept us in most games.

The SF loss ... that just happens. SF is just a far better team in every aspect of the game.

The TEN loss ... I don't think it should have had to come down to a game winning drive opportunity. I blame the defense for that. But it dawned on me ... regardless of how or why we're in that situation, we don't have a QB who can lead the team to a game winning field goal or TD.

You need that, in my opinion.

I'm tired of waiting for the defense to save the day. It's not that I want a QB who's going to throw bombs and connect on every one.

But Fitz is inaccurate on the short stuff. And he's not clutch.

Fitz is great when a) we have the lead and b) we're playing against a team with a bad defense. Take away either one of those things and he's not the guy.

And unfortunately, that means - in my opinion - that overall, he's just not the guy.

If we had an average defense, we would have a winning record right now, probably something like 6-3. I think it's easier to get an average defense vs an elite QB.

(And even with an elite QB, it'd be tough for us to score 32+ points a game, which is what we would need to beat the amount of points we give up on average, 31.7)

Edited by Dorkington

He's probably never watched a Bills game, unless forced to by the network.

This opinion is based on stats. Anybody who watches Fitz play every week knows he isn't the answer.

:thumbsup: Exactly. If he had watched Fitz week in and week out like the rest of us, I'm sure he would have a different opinion. And his comments about the running game are laughable as well. Buffalo has two of the best RB's in the league and Chan refuses to just hand them the ball. He's in Buffalo and is playing to the home crowd.

I believe Mariucci was being honest.

Fitzpatrick would probably do well in a WCO type of offense.

I don't think he's accurate enough for a WCO type of offense. He's got the right brainpower and mobility for it. He's just too inconsistent with his accuracy, IMO.

Does anyone know why exactly we picked up Tarvaris Jackson at the end of August? He has no chance of helping the team this year (I don't think he's been active for a single game) so all it means is that we might have him as a backup to Fitz next year. Or maybe not even. Hardly worth a draft pick, even a 7th rounder.

I think they got him to be the backup for NEXT yr. They know Pigpen sucks.

Fitz shows flashes of great decision making, plays tough, is a leader, and makes some plays.

Ultimately I don't think he was what it takes to win a playoff game, let alone a Superbowl.

Unless we have the early 2000's Ravens Defense, we need a better QB if the ultimate goal is a Superbowl.

:thumbsup: Exactly. If he had watched Fitz week in and week out like the rest of us, I'm sure he would have a different opinion. And his comments about the running game are laughable as well. Buffalo has two of the best RB's in the league and Chan refuses to just hand them the ball. He's in Buffalo and is playing to the home crowd.

I think it's more like, "Hey Steve, we've got a game in Buffalo this week. Can you watch last week's game against the Pats and make a few comments about Ryan Fitzpatrick."

If they asked him to watch the Houston game one week earlier, I guarantee his opinion would be completely different.

And for all the people that stick up for Fitz on this board... CONSISTENCY is the name of the game. Every quarterback will put up a stinker once in awhile - even Rodgers, Brees, Manning, etc. But 6-7 per season is too many bad games for us to ever be a regular playoff team. And after 3 seasons as our starter, that's about the average we can expect from Fitz. By my count, after 9 games he's already had 3 terrible performances (Jets, 49ers, Texans) and an average performance where he lost us the game with a horrible pick (Titans).

We all know that Fitz can be lights out and play at a Pro Bowl level for a handful of games every year. But once you hit 6-7 losses, the season is over. If our quarterback is putting us in a hole that many times, he needs to be replaced.

And for the record, I'm not giving a pass to the defense at all. By my count, they have had 3 good games this season (Chiefs, Browns, Cardinals), one decent game (Texans) and the other 5 have been horrific. There also need to be major changes to the defense too.

He's probably never watched a Bills game, unless forced to by the network.

This opinion is based on stats. Anybody who watches Fitz play every week knows he isn't the answer.

I know...I have only had the NFL Network since the begining of the season, but you would think, from the amount of attention they are given by the NFL Network, the franchise had just started existing on Monday... I just get the feeling these guys don't watch a whole lot of Buffalo Bills game film... when they do make any Bills related observations, they seem based on something other than what we see when we watch the games...not saying Mooch is wrong about Fitz, but I have my doubts. If he watched the last 2 games, you could see where he might come up with this...but it is not a very informed opinion, if that is the case.