The Dog Thread

Gugny

I would too if I had two live-in hot ladystudents rubbing my tummy all day.

True.

And they've started asking me if I can dog-sit if they're both going to be out for a whole day. Got my in :devil:

We have a part Bichon, part mutt that we rescued from the Humane Society when he was probably 2-3 years old. He's now ~5-6, and his name's Buzzy (named after the great pizza/wing place in Niagara Falls - because we suck at picking names :lol:). Here's a link to a picture of him on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.co...36993/lightbox/

And another:

http://www.flickr.co...157623853737803

And a third:

http://www.flickr.co...tream/lightbox/

He's the first dog I've ever had -- and is pretty cool (but don't tell my wife I said that - I have to pretend I don't like him ;) ).

The coolest part was that we took him to obedience school -- and it turns out he already knew all of the commands! All the training did was teach US what he already knew! He knows sit, down, stay (you can leave the room or put food in front of him and he'll stay), drop it, leave it (even food!), kennel, and a few others. I trained him to roll over and play dead when I point my finger at him and say, "Bang!" Most people love watching that, some think I'm demented. :lol:

kibbles...post-630-0-08336100-1352427439_thumb.jpg She is 17.5 years old.

calie...post-630-0-37619700-1352427399_thumb.jpg My daughter's Puggle

17.5. Awesome! And that puggle looks full of hell!

We have a part Bichon, part mutt that we rescued from the Humane Society when he was probably 2-3 years old. He's now ~5-6, and his name's Buzzy (named after the great pizza/wing place in Niagara Falls - because we suck at picking names :lol:). Here's a link to a picture of him on Flickr:

And another:

And a third:

He's the first dog I've ever had -- and is pretty cool (but don't tell my wife I said that - I have to pretend I don't like him ;) ).

The coolest part was that we took him to obedience school -- and it turns out he already knew all of the commands! All the training did was teach US what he already knew! He knows sit, down, stay (you can leave the room or put food in front of him and he'll stay), drop it, leave it (even food!), kennel, and a few others. I trained him to roll over and play dead when I point my finger at him and say, "Bang!" Most people love watching that, some think I'm demented. :lol:

What a face. Looks like a super happy dog!!

My two girls. Both mutts from the Humane Society, both are 14 years old and still act like puppies. Ginger is part schnauzer, Misha is...anyone's guess. Two incredible dogs.

post-788-0-34099300-1352439349_thumb.jpg post-788-0-43423800-1352439363_thumb.jpg

And another:

And a third:

Cool,, naming the dog after Buzzy's. We will go there when we got to WNY for Thanksgiving. Or at least get a carryout pizza from there.

17.5. Awesome! And that puggle looks full of hell!

What a face. Looks like a super happy dog!!

The picture of the Puggle won third place in the local newspaper's contest for "Cutest Critter" in 2011

Here's our two. Both from shelters.

Vet's best guess on the left (Willow) is German Shepard/Greyhound mix. Pictures really don't show it, but she's ripped (her abs make me ashamed of myself) and the squirrls in the yard fear for their lives. I'm sure my wife is sorry for the shark outfit.

The right one is Riley. Pit/Lab mix. Obvious pit features with a lab coat...and swims like a fish. I've had dogs my entire life and have never seen a more people oriented dog.

The Pom at the top is Copper. My wife (then girlfriend) got him back in '96. Unfortunately had to put him down a few months ago when he had a stroke.... but he had a full life and completely changed my opinion of small dogs.

The cat in the pic is Ivan. He's twenty pounds of P.O.'d kitty and my money's on him over the dogs if anyone ever broke into our house]

post-2988-0-02741400-1352524698_thumb.jpg

post-2988-0-74895300-1352524719_thumb.jpg

post-2988-0-90287000-1352524830_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Guess I need to update this as Ive added a new pup to the mix. The pug (and his mom) moved back to NY at the New Year, so with the extra room I rescued another Pit.

She is one of those stories that I had been following via Facebook from a local rescue. Last summer they received a call from a 13 year old boy in one of the rougher Atlanta neighborhoods. He said one of the guys on his street had a dog that he kept outside, by itself, 24/7/365. He also said the guy was willing to give the dog up, but the kid's mother wouldnt let him keep it so he was looking for help. A volunteer went with him and found the dog cowering behind a bush, up against the fence. She wouldnt come out to either of them. For 2 weeks they went everyday and sat in front of the bush, and laid food out, and just sat and talked while the dog got used to them. Finally, she started coming out to eat a little bit. Eventually, they were able to get her to come all the way out and were able to remove her from the yard.

She went into fostering/boarding in a local dog trainer's house. She was there for about 4 months and they had not received a single application or call about her. That's where I came in.

I got her in the beginning of January, and boy did I get myself into something deep. She had never been inside, never been around people or dogs, etc. She wasnt physically abused (which is good), but she was so neglected socially that she was basically a "wild child". She freaked out the first night I had her when the heating kicked on because she had never been inside or heard a forced air system before. She also kept falling off the couch in her sleep because she had never slept on anything raised up or off the ground before.

We're just at about 7 weeks, and while it has been a TON of work, she is coming along wonderfully. She is steadily turning into your regular, happy, house-dog. Her and Grace (my original Pit) are getting along very well.

I will add, I couldnt have done it without having a couple of the best bosses in the world. They allow me to work from home if needed, or bring the dogs into work with me. I've been bringing them into the office regularly for the past month, and they have become our official mascots. Our main office area is a wide-open carpeted area, so I get them in early and they can go nuts and play and run, and then be tired and chilled out by the time everyone shows up for work. They also love going around desk to desk, greeting folks and checking in.

Here are some pics of Grace and Gabby together... The last one is them sleeping next to my desk at work. I'll have to get some action shots as soon as it gets nicer out. I promise they do more than just sleep. LOL.

post-6219-0-24757800-1361546392_thumb.jpg

post-6219-0-35005800-1361546410_thumb.jpg

post-6219-0-02610300-1361546418_thumb.jpg

love the kid, puddle, dog video. picked up our 2 from the kennel after 10 days away. i swear they must fret the whole time there. they always age months in days and their faces get more and more gray hair. tails waging when i drop them off and the girls at the kennel make a big fuss but i'm convinced they think we're never coming back, like whoever dropped them in our driveway years ago.

We adopted Paco about three years ago as a puppy. He was one of five of a rescued mother.

The day I went to see the puppies to pick one, I walked into the house and they all ran over to me. I put my keys and phone down while playing around with them, trying to figure out which one to take, when Paco broke from the pack, picked up my car keys in his mouth and walked to the door, waiting for me. That was that. He never grew like his brothers did. Someone I know who prefers big dogs called him "a puntable." But damn is he a great and obedient dog.

Since all the puppies looked different, whenever someone asks what kind of breed he is, we tell them he's a cockerhood. One part cocker spaniel and one part whatever else was in the neighborhood.

This is him as a puppy.

17334_466612770153_5045453_n.jpg

We adopted Paco about three years ago as a puppy. He was one of five of a rescued mother.

The day I went to see the puppies to pick one, I walked into the house and they all ran over to me. I put my keys and phone down while playing around with them, trying to figure out which one to take, when Paco broke from the pack, picked up my car keys in his mouth and walked to the door, waiting for me. That was that. He never grew like his brothers did. Someone I know who prefers big dogs called him "a puntable." But damn is he a great and obedient dog.

Since all the puppies looked different, whenever someone asks what kind of breed he is, we tell them he's a cockerhood. One part cocker spaniel and one part whatever else was in the neighborhood.

Ha! Great story! And you are right, they pick us. Cute pup.

Also just saw this article and wanted to post it in here. Awesome story.

http://www.dogster.com/the-scoop/basset-hound-and-owner-reunited

was out at a stripmall with a petsmart today and they had a group of rescue dogs on the sidewalk up for adoption. there was an older golden retriever mix with cigarette burn marks on his nose and forehead. what kind of son of a b%^&ch does that? the thing was pretty timid as you might expect and i felt my dogs would badly dominate it but we made a donation. it just makes me worried what people like that do to their kids.

Yeah, my original post with Grace is on page 1 or 2 here.

Feel free to post pics of your favorite cow! Theyre probably more dog-like than most people give them credit for. Agree?

I checked on this last night at the chinese restaurant. Turns out you are right.

When the Vick story first broke I would never have imagined him being allowed to own another dog but I glad that he has served his time, paid his dues and realizing how terrific dogs can be.

That's where I'm coming from too. I'll certainly never forget or forgive Vick for what he did in the past. But life goes on, people change and grow, hopefully for the better. I would imagine someone in Vick's position had no where to go but up if he wanted to make a comeback. And really, it's not that I believe in Vick, but I do believe in the dog. I think if Vick respects the dog and opens his heart to it, the dog will show him how wrong he was. This may be exactly what he needs to really "get" his punishment.

Additionally, I dont think his kids should be punished for their father being a moron in his 20s. Why should they be denied growing up with a dog? That's just setting up a situation for them to not appreciate dogs either.