FRANKENSTORM!!!!!

GG

Loaded up on chocolate, bourbon,and beer! I am a weather freak that loves storms! I have been through Blizzard 77, Hurricane Irene, Hurricane Gloria, I have seen tornado's, I love it all! But this storm scares the bejesus out of me. Gloria the storm surge was past route 1 and almost to interstate 95, This storm surge is supposed to surpass the 1938 surge(the worst surge for this area on record). Leaves will clog grates, astronomical high tides, and a perfect storm type set up with 90 mph SW winds driving the sound towards NYC. Gloria destroyed south of route 1. And I think NYC will be under water. I hope to God I am wrong

I hope your wrong too. Im north of Poughkeepsie so we will be seeing some of this stuff soon. Hopefully itll be uch ado about nothing. Keep us updated

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope your wrong too. Im north of Poughkeepsie so we will be seeing some of this stuff soon. Hopefully itll be uch ado about nothing. Keep us updated

Last forecast I checked, they were calling for a 3-4 foot storm surge 'round your parts.

Yep. Storm surge. In the freakin' Hudson River. Hope you can deal with it.

Until early this morning wind gusts were once in a while coming from SSE, not coming straight NNW. Heavy winds, dropped 15 degrees real fast around 6. Lows in bottom 30's this week, slight chance of 2-4" snow (very slight!!! they just say that to rile people up and promote milk, eggs, beer and friend foods sales).

Either way, we should get some rain (20%, 30%, 40%) and 25 mph winds all week. The Mtns (hour away) are to get over 6", with over 12-14" coming in the upper areas (Mt Mitchell, Boone, Blowing Rock, etc).

Living up in Rochester now I'm not terribly concerned by this. However my home town of Athens, PA was completely flooded last year by Irene and is now in the crosshairs for the eye of Sandy. I'm really concerned about everyone down there as this has the potential to be disastrous.

I saw the damage Gloria did to the shoreline and have heard the stories from old timers about the 1938 hurricane. When they talk about the storm surge being worse then 38, that is a big !@#$ing deal. I am not scared for myself- I am a survivalist with months worth of food, and I live 180 feet above sea level, and Jim Cantore has my dream job. I am scared for my friends that live south of post road- they are about to lose everything. One girl I was hanging with earlier tonight lives on the beach. Last year Irene almost leveled her place. Well she had to think what to grab tonight that was irreplacable, because her place is about to get wiped out, and she is mandatorily being evacuated this evening.

I just drove along shore an hour after high tide- and it is already flooding. And when they are talking about 10-12 foot surge tomorrow night in the sound- a lot of peoples worlds will be !@#$ed. That is what I am fearful about

Last forecast I checked, they were calling for a 3-4 foot storm surge 'round your parts.

what mickey mouse sight are you getting 3-4 foot surge?

http://www.nhc.noaa....esurge#contents

NOAA has 13-15 foot surge.

Sandy's central pressure is expected to drop from its current 953 mb to 945 - 950 mb at landfall Monday night. A pressure this low is extremely rare; according to wunderground weather historian Christopher C. Burt, the lowest pressure ever measured anywhere in the U.S. north of Cape Hatteras, NC, is 946 mb (27.94") measured at the Bellport Coast Guard Station on Long Island, NY on September 21, 1938 during the great "Long Island Express" hurricane