FRANKENSTORM!!!!!

GG

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is that again?

Pete, I believe.

We got power back overnight. There was a light on in a house nearby that we know doesn't have a generator, so I unhooked ours, threw the switches and flipped the main back on. Lights! Internet (cable) came back shortly after. We survived, as ever.

Lots of wind. Very strong gusts even here in NE CT, which generally has a nice buffer and our unique spot which is surrounded by hills on three sides. Whitecaps on our lake... but I got a picture of some damned fool who was !@#$ing kayaking at about 4 p.m. right before the height of the storm. Trees were blowing fierce and I'm really glad that our power company had come around this summer and cut lots of trees, including a huge hulker V-notched red oak in our front yard. Seriously, it had a 6 1/2 ft. base and was 128 years old, according to the ring count. It'd been losing branches for a long time and had a serious cavity right at the notch where water collected and come to find out, went right down to the base. That water freezes, splits the tree and takes down power lines it would've been a cold mess. Averted. Some people have been pissed about the cutting. It's fine by me.

The surge was more severe west of new haven but some houses and restaraunts did get taken out. We had high winds (85 mph), little rain. My town and surrounding towns power is out. Poor New Jersey. They got the brunt. Amazing storm. Lowest ever barometric reading. An average hurricane is 300 miles wide- sandy was 1000. Nyc will be interesting. As will the election. Interesting times we live in

The surge was more severe west of new haven but some houses and restaraunts did get taken out. We had high winds (85 mph), little rain. My town and surrounding towns power is out. Poor New Jersey. They got the brunt. Amazing storm. Lowest ever barometric reading. An average hurricane is 300 miles wide- sandy was 1000. Nyc will be interesting. As will the election. Interesting times we live in

I pictured you out there in a toga or some look like Tom Hanks in Castaway. Glad you and others are ok.

What a dork .... irresponsible too

"As Superstorm Sandy slammed into the East Coast on Monday night, one Twitter user in New York City posted a flurry of alarming reports about fallout from the storm -- from plans to shut down all power in Manhattan to floodwaters pouring into the New York Stock Exchange ..... And, it turns out, many of them were outright lies. They were apparently posted by a Wall Street analyst who doubled as campaign manager for a candidate for Congress. After a blogger exposed him, the analyst apologized on Twitter Tuesday night amid a flood of online scorn and left the campaign. An elected official is pushing for criminal charges."

http://edition.cnn.c...hoax/index.html

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Is babyrock away at school? Can't remember, but hope everyone is safe..just hard to imagine WNY being affected by a hurricane.

Babyrock is married and living in Connecticut. Not in a flood area, but as many of us, was worried about power outages. She made it through ok and got a day off work. *-)

I have seen more power trucks and convoys headed north then normal. Saw Alabama Power convoy this morning. 12 rigs deep, 4 generator trucks, 2 supply and 3 with a D6N, back hoe and bobcat.

Too bad the sighting is in NC and not NJ :)

Anyone see a PSEG truck, let me know.

Thanks! I am sorry guffalo about your situation. Still no power by me. I like it! Bonfire and ghost stories last night, ice cold beers, trail mix, French drip coffee- this is fun!

Boy, you would of had a blast during the SF earthquake of 1906. Glad you're enjoying this disaster. :rolleyes:

Boy, you would of had a blast during the SF earthquake of 1906. Glad you're enjoying this disaster. :rolleyes:

Just another evening to be carefree.

PS - it would be nice to get a win this weekend to take the edge off.

Edited by GG