Retractable-roof stadium proposed for outer harbor

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, I'm glad they're actually trying to update and relocate the stadium into the city of Buffalo. I think it would be great for the city, create jobs in various different industries where a transit could bring people back and forth. It just has endless possibilities.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/10/23/bills-new-stadium-proposed-for-citys-waterfront

looks promising...of course russ is not giving a straight answer...the city doesn't own the land yet!

"The next step is having the city acquire a 400-acre plot of land lining the outer harbor just south of downtown. The land is currently controlled by the region's transportation authority.

Once that's approved, Stracick then intends to approach Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the Bills and the NFL."

I'm from omaha and we built a roughly 441 million dollar arena/convention center.....we are in omaha! we have ZERO pro teams! Zero!

it's a little over half as much the cost of this new proposal but just look what we've used it for so far and we are in nebraska! Imagine next to Canada lake side! It only holds 18500 seats in the Arena!

http://www.centurylinkcenteromaha.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CenturyLink_Center_Omaha

Olympic Swim Trials

Division 1 Basketball Tournaments

Division 1 Volleyball Tournaments

It's the University of Omaha - Hockey's home ice

Creighton Basketball Home Games

A **** ton of Concerts

Pheasant Forever National Banquet

Professional Rodeo Events

WWE

National World of Wheels Car Shows

Weddings

**** ton of private events

in 2013 were getting US Figure Skating Championships..

The list goes on and on...

Population of Omaha

According to the 2011 Population Estimates, Omaha's population was 415,068. Including its suburbs, Omaha formed the 60th-largest metropolitan area in the United States in 2010, with an estimated population of 877,110 residing in eight counties

Population of Buffalo

Buffalo itself has a population of 261,310 (2010 Census) and the Buffalo–Niagara–Cattaraugus Combined Statistical Area is home to 1,215,826 residents.

It would be the biggest epic fail in the history of epic fails if Buffalo doesn't take this seriously...

Is this were to happen... .000000000001%......It would be the single most impactful thing in the possible resurgence of the city of Buffalo. Pegula is building that amazing building in that vacant parking lot across from the arena in addition to the massive remodeling of First Niagara Center. Also the waterfront made quite a bit of progress this summer. There are condos being built all along the waterfront as well. Maybe just maybe we can prevent 10,000 people from leaving this city every year... =(

put a 2.5% tax on prepared food and drink...so basically everytime you go out to eat or drink in at a restaurant/fast food joint you get taxed...you pay 5 cents extra for a $2 cup of coffee...

In the first full year omaha made 23.8 million dollars..... in 10-15 years you've made your 30% of 1.4 billion dollars if my calculations are correct... :wacko:

you buffalonians just need to keep the faith...

Edited by billsrock61

The Bills have the lowest ticket prices in the NFL. Obviously a new stadium would increase those prices but they'd still need to work on a volume model, IMO.

I've never been there but I'm told Indy is a very nice city that has had competent people building the urban core for many years now.

Indy is the 12th largest city in the U.S. and is its downtown is considered one of the best among U.S. cities.

Agreed that indy has a very nice downtown. But being the 12th largest US city is grossly misleading. Its metro area population is smaller than kansas city, sacramento,orlando,cincinnati....and is just about on par with Columbus,Ohio. A small NFL city...with an admittedly lovely downtown.

Wow! Cynicism is an art-form for Buffalonians apparently. Each poster trying to out negative the next. WTF's the Peace Bridge got to do with it, unless you've got self-esteem issues, try, try, and try again if you ever want to get anything in life.

The proposed stadium would be in a beautiful, and currently disused portion of the city. There would be stumbling blocks, duh, but it's a great idea.

...and then the Chief quietly put the peacepipe down, smiled, and glancing at the young maiden, he gestured that it was time to leave.

wait.... what were we talking about?

we were talking about the most fun,unique, workable,popular stadium on planet earth. but with this real estate downturn I only have a few grand in the bank---so my funding situation is not great at the moment.

I've always advocated a facility just a bit further south, on the old Bethlehem Steel site, mainly because there's just SOOOO much land there for parking and tailgating, the rail infrastructure still remains in place (making mass transit a cinch), and - for ease of ingress/egress - it's pretty much at the intersection of Route 5, Milestrip Rd., and the NYS Thruway. (And, that land would be extremely problematic to rehabilitate for any other use).

But I do just LOVE this lastest proposal, and Gov. Cuomo is already on record saying he's got a $$billion$$ just waiting to give to Buffalo for the right project. RWS was built roughly a decade after Candlestick Park, which the 49ers are now replacing with a 68,000 seat facility in Santa Clara. This project is right for Buffalo on so many levels, and makes WAY more sense than dumping another $200-300M into the aging stadium in Orchard Park. (As others have said, 72,000 seats may be a bit too large - a 68,000-seat like the one the 49ers are building seem about right for WNY.)

Will it ever happen? Who knows. Finally, after decades of nothing at all, we're witnessing some significant development around the Cobblestone and Canalside districts, and moving UB's med school downtown is sure to change both the landscape and the demograhics of downtown.

I would be amazing if, five years from now, we could see something like this...

Link -Downtown Stadium Proposed For Buffalo Bills – Images and Presentation

Buffalo_Waterfront_Stadium_Looking_South.png?9d7bd4

Edited by The Senator

bills not interested

http://profootballta...wntown-stadium/

"There are several problems with the proposed Outer Harbor site, such as a lack of space needed for parking, distance from the downtown core, and insufficient road infrastructure."

This is hilarious...Such a horrible excuse if I ever heard one. Pittsburghs stadium'S are located right in the heart of the city. Could not get more centrally located then where they are, and they are flourishing like crazy. A new hockey arena and football stadium just completed. My uncle lived there for 10+ years and loved it. They actually get stuff done there, the politicians in this area will never get Anything at all done ever....Unfortunately this will result in thousands of people to continue to flock to more suitable grounds. =/

Why 72,000 seats? I say 56,000 to 60,000 tops.

80000!

Why not Obama can just print us the money that no problem !!

were you alive before 2009?

Wow! Cynicism is an art-form for Buffalonians apparently. Each poster trying to out negative the next. WTF's the Peace Bridge got to do with it, unless you've got self-esteem issues, try, try, and try again if you ever want to get anything in life.

The proposed stadium would be in a beautiful, and currently disused portion of the city. There would be stumbling blocks, duh, but it's a great idea.

agree. this kind of rank cynicism is really illuminating. maybe this thing will get done, maybe it won't. but it says a lot about the whole region that someone has come up with a really exciting idea and it is blown to bits before anyone has taken time to even listen to it or how it might be funded.