NFL’s breast cancer awareness effort is making a difference

papazoid

According to Parenting.com, a Staten Island woman noticed last year the pink accents while her husband was watching a Jets game. She asked about the presence of the color, he told her that the NFL is promoting breast cancer awareness.

“That night for the first time ever I gave myself a self breast exam,” the woman informed the Jets this week via email. “You guys saved my life! I am a 34 year old mother of 3 and I was diagnosed 2 weeks later with breast cancer. The outcome had I not seen that game and the players wearing pink would have more than likely been tragic because the cancer had already started to spread and was making its way toward my lymph nodes.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/20/nfls-breast-cancer-awareness-effort-is-making-a-difference/

According to Parenting.com, a Staten Island woman noticed last year the pink accents while her husband was watching a Jets game. She asked about the presence of the color, he told her that the NFL is promoting breast cancer awareness.

“That night for the first time ever I gave myself a self breast exam,” the woman informed the Jets this week via email. “You guys saved my life! I am a 34 year old mother of 3 and I was diagnosed 2 weeks later with breast cancer. The outcome had I not seen that game and the players wearing pink would have more than likely been tragic because the cancer had already started to spread and was making its way toward my lymph nodes.”

http://profootballta...g-a-difference/

must be a product of the US education system

who would have thought that a woman is America not aware of the risk of breast cancer

Great post, Papzoid, thanks. My son's school just had a "Pink Out" day and the kids are SO into it. And they know what it's all about, too.

Spartacus, no need to be a downer, man. If you want to take a shot at the US education system, find another way. This isn't about knowledge. It's about action and accountability.

There is nothing negative to be taken from the original post.

Great post, Papzoid, thanks. My son's school just had a "Pink Out" day and the kids are SO into it. And they know what it's all about, too.

Spartacus, no need to be a downer, man. If you want to take a shot at the US education system, find another way. This isn't about knowledge. It's about action and accountability.

I agree. Sometimes people convince themselves that they would rather not know the truth so they avoid self testing out of fear or thinking "it will never happen to me", not out of ignorance. Thank God she found something to prompt her to self test.

I just read an article about a guy in GA who shaved his head to support his wife while she was undergoing chemo for breast cancer. Once his head was shaved he found a black spot that turned out to be an advanced stage malignant tumor that would most likely have gone undiagnosed until it was too late if he hadn't shaved his head.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

must be a product of the US education system

who would have thought that a woman is America not aware of the risk of breast cancer

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here or any other board

It made her think that at 34 years old maybe she should give herself an exam and luckily she did.

No one goes through life planning to check themselves for lumps but if something like this makes them think about it then its well worth it

I hate to say this but these non profit are nothing but for profit people...they hire their own companies pay themselves well and even get loans with your donated funds..want to help donate your time to someone who needs help during treatments.... Cancer is curable just not in the US and with big pharm companies running our gov....look up cancer is a fungus by dr.Simoncini .....live fruits and vegetables can do wonders along with no mushrooms or processed foods and drop the pop, cigs...

As a child I think I had maybe 6-8 shots now there is over 32 by the age of 2... My kids aren't vaccinated and are ahead of most vaccinated children because they can focus at age 6 and not be ADD , ADHD or any thing else they claim....

Do your homework everything on tv isn't true and you have options ...pharm pays doctors - doctors write scripts ....pharm pays gov - gov says you need these shots

I hate to say this but these non profit are nothing but for profit people...they hire their own companies pay themselves well and even get loans with your donated funds..want to help donate your time to someone who needs help during treatments.... Cancer is curable just not in the US and with big pharm companies running our gov....look up cancer is a fungus by dr.Simoncini .....live fruits and vegetables can do wonders along with no mushrooms or processed foods and drop the pop, cigs...

As a child I think I had maybe 6-8 shots now there is over 32 by the age of 2... My kids aren't vaccinated and are ahead of most vaccinated children because they can focus at age 6 and not be ADD , ADHD or any thing else they claim....

Do your homework everything on tv isn't true and you have options ...pharm pays doctors - doctors write scripts ....pharm pays gov - gov says you need these shots

I'm going to ignore most of your post, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Regarding breast cancer awareness...I really don't understand why seemingly intelligent people have a problem with the NFL adopting this cause. Was it self serving for the league? Sure, they may have done it simply to try to attract more female fans. That could in fact be the only reason they did it. I really don't care. We were presented with a story of a woman who benefited from the effort and many here choose to call her stupid and continue to poke derisive comments at the NFL, breast cancer, and this specific woman. I just don't get how pink can get you guys so riled up. Has it had a negative effect on your life? Has it made the game less enjoyable for you? Get over yourselves. Personally I'm for raising awareness towards any type of cancer. Research in one area will likely help in others.

Specific for you GoBills...I assume that your children are home schooled since most states require vaccinations. Good luck to you.

Pharm pays doctors?? What is this--1992? They used to "pay" us with pizza lunches a couple of times per year (and then we would never even write scripts for their meds hahahaha!--suckers!). Now we can't even accept a 5 cent pen from them. In fact, they can't even come in the building anymore.

But it's nice to know Bills fans also include the vaccine loonies.

I'm going to ignore most of your post, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Regarding breast cancer awareness...I really don't understand why seemingly intelligent people have a problem with the NFL adopting this cause. Was it self serving for the league? Sure, they may have done it simply to try to attract more female fans. That could in fact be the only reason they did it. I really don't care. We were presented with a story of a woman who benefited from the effort and many here choose to call her stupid and continue to poke derisive comments at the NFL, breast cancer, and this specific woman. I just don't get how pink can get you guys so riled up. Has it had a negative effect on your life? Has it made the game less enjoyable for you? Get over yourselves. Personally I'm for raising awareness towards any type of cancer. Research in one area will likely help in others.

Specific for you GoBills...I assume that your children are home schooled since most states require vaccinations. Good luck to you.

Or she could have listened to her OB/Gyn, primary care doctor or even her high school health teacher and started self exams much earlier.

Anxiously awaiting the NFL's committment to cervical cancer awareness. What might they wear to inspire female fans to get pelvic exams?

Exactly what he said! Haha :) great response.

What the woman was intending to say is, she was thankful for watching the jets game, seeing the pink then triggered her that maybe she shoul go for another breast exam. Women have them done annually. The pink triggered the action, it wasn't the fact she had zero knowledge of cancer etc.

Let me guess, all you guys making fun of this woman do everything you're supposed to do health wise, right?

None of you are overweight, drink too much, smoke, you work out daily for at least 45 min and you watch what you eat making sure not to overdo sugar, saturated fats or processed foods. I'm sure none of you ever make mistakes or bad decisions or have to be reminded on occasion to do something you need to do.

Yeah, I'm sure you guys all do these things because otherwise you'd be a bunch of hypocrites who like to think that they're smarter than the world but are really just a bunch of douche-bags.

You sir, win the crazy award. I feel bad for your children.

I didn't know Jenny McCarthy was a Bills fan!!

There is an ongoing debate over what impact the pinking of America truly has on the epidemic of breast cancer in this country but before you weigh in, read this email, sent to the New York Jets two days ago:

Name: Tina A

Subject: Community Relations

Message: Last year October I was watching a Jets game and noticed the pink the team was wearing. I didn’t know why and asked my husband. He said it was for breast cancer awareness. That night for the first time ever I gave myself a self breast exam. You guys saved my life! I am a 34 year old mother of 3 and I was diagnosed 2 weeks later with breast cancer.The outcome had I not seen that game and the players wearing pink would have more than likely been tragic because the cancer had already started to spread and was making its way toward my lymph nodes. I just wanted to say thank you, and to let you know that your efforts in creating breast cancer awareness work. I am living proof. It is a year later and I am here and cancer free. I underwent chemo and radiation and I am here thanks to you.

Sincerely,

Tina A, Staten Island, NY

parenting mag:How awesome is that? It gives me the chills. My sister and I are both moms and cancer survivors (lymphoma and leukemia, respectively) so it hit particularly close to home. Say what you will about the NFL but three kids in Staten Island still have their mom to tuck them in tonight because a bunch of dudes ran around in pink cleats.

http://www.parenting...ved-womans-life