A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Arizona was also coming off a Thursday game and had extra time to prepare for Buffalo -- that shouldn't be forgotten. While the Bills certainly did nearly all they could to throw the game away at the end, it was still a deserved victory and not completely lucky. Great that Carrington got enough of his hand on the ball to send it into the upright. Seemed like he played a nice game, too. What a game-saving play by him on special teams to block that kick, though!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of what you're saying other than:

1. Byrd has played well.

2. Fitz is done: far too inaccurate.

3. Can we contend for the playoffs? Not with this coaching staff. Nix has assembled a good team and they're being coached ineffectively.

I hope we go get a coordinator from the 49ers, Pats, Ravens, Packers, etc. and make him the highest paid coach in the league. NO MORE RETREADS! Get someone in here who can light a fire under a good group of players. The two games prior to this tell me a great deal about Chan and this coaching group: you don't lose like that if you're being coached properly.

welcome, 4th post :)

Byrd got no mention and yet his 2 INT's were HUGE!

Fitz, I gotta wonder if David Lee is causing all Fitz's problems by over thinking / discussing everything. Instead of just letting the guy play by instinct which is what got him to where he is today. Plus his timing to the receivers looks worse then I've ever seen it. Is he getting enough reps / work on the timing?

I agree with your 3rd comment 100%.

Now I look at the DC and gotta think if he purposely tanked the defense against the Jets / Patriots / 49ers? Total defense the Bills are 31st. Is Wannstooge really that bad running a 4-3 with this talent?

5) Eric Pears is better than pepole think. He is very tough, and leaves nothing on the field. He will even make tackles, at his size, after turnovers.

Tough, gives full effort, but he did give up a bad sack to an outside rusher. He was getting pushed back so bad and far, he looked like a tackle for the Cardinals.

Tough, gives full effort, but he did give up a bad sack to an outside rusher. He was getting pushed back so bad and far, he looked like a tackle for the Cardinals.

OK, but how often does that happen? I think that he is the best RT we have had since Jason Peters lined up on the right. And, Hairston can play! Again, Bell getting hurt so much last season was actually good for this team. Hairston was a steal of a draft pick, and at least holds his own on virtually every down.

Players such as Pears and Hairston are keeping this football team alive as we speak.

Delayed post, I was in VA visiting my daughter and the post got zapped.

1) Barnett covering Fitzgerald on the TD catch? Was this the players or Wanny?

2) Stevie Johnson really deserves praise. He got open against Peterson, and caught what was thrown to him. The man gets open week after week, and this is huge.

3) I have been very concerned about Dareus, who looked pretty lousy the last 2 weeks. Not yesterday. He played a big roll in the safety, in terms of pushing back the pocket and taking away the inside. He did this many times yesterday. I am hoping that this is a sign of things to come, and looking for improvement as well. But those who were calling him a bust can relax imo.

4) Speaking of players being called a bust lol, CJ Spiller played his best game as a Buffalo Bill yesterday imo. Not statistically mind you, but I don't care about that. Did you see him hold the ball with both arms at the end of his long run in the 3rd quarter? And did you notice how he stepped up on pass protection? Yes, Spiller did everything one could ask of him yesterday. He showed his skills, hustled, and played mistake free football. And btw, a on couple of his gains, there wasn't much room. He was patient, and even got yardage on his own.

5) Eric Pears is better than pepole think. He is very tough, and leaves nothing on the field. He will even make tackles, at his size, after turnovers.

6) "Wind in the willow playin'Tea For Two.

The sky was yellow and the sun was blue.

Strangers stoppn ' strangers, just to shake their hand.

Everybody's playin', in the Heart of Gold Band.

Heart of Gold Band."

7) So, what do we make of this? Can we contend for the playoffs? Or even the division?

8) People, this was NOT a lucky win!!! They made 2 long kicks, and a sick, 61 yarder. We knocked the s--t out of their qb, and beat up the other as well. We ran on them with 2 injured starting blockers, and the Cards are not at all weak defensively.

9) While I was in a sports bar in Virginia, the Bills turned the ball over before my first sip of beer. This is a record that can be tied, but never broken.

10) Fitz continues to be a problem. He missed a few passes that probably could have put away the game for us. And the pick by Brad Smith was 100% insane. He was running well, and the wildcat was looking good before that idiotic play.

11) Mario needs to keep it going. According to the announcers, the Cards OTs are notoriously weak. I want to see him continue to dominate. We saw what happens when the front 4 kicks ass. Byrd, who has been awful imo, came away with 2 picks, and Gilmore almost had one as well.

12) It's rough not to like Bradham. Talk about effort.....he is all over the place.

13) Congrats people! We are 3-3, and still alive after 3 ugly losses of historic proportion. This is the hardest Bills team to figure in many years.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where in va ? Va beach ? Bills fans all over this city if so

Barnett all in all good game. I like the guy he has "a certain set of skills" Like my man Liam neesen

Stevie Johnson was always open. Was rope a dopin Peterson all day, shame on u fitz learn some accuracy. How much longer of this ?

CJ spiller 20 carries minimum he's that freakin good. Cornerbacks and lbs are already scared of his moves

Another solid review Bill.............Here's to Mario and his quest for 12 sacks. He has 3.5 and counting Time to earn that money big boy

Edited by Ryan L Billz

OK, but how often does that happen? I think that he is the best RT we have had since Jason Peters lined up on the right. And, Hairston can play! Again, Bell getting hurt so much last season was actually good for this team. Hairston was a steal of a draft pick, and at least holds his own on virtually every down.

Players such as Pears and Hairston are keeping this football team alive as we speak.

hen is Glenn back? I would love to see Hairston at RT and Glenn at LT. That line with the interior we have would be dominating. Talk about a bunch of big hogs you should be able to run all day behind!!

hen is Glenn back? I would love to see Hairston at RT and Glenn at LT. That line with the interior we have would be dominating. Talk about a bunch of big hogs you should be able to run all day behind!!

Urbik and Johnson both *might* be back this week, but Glenn is further away than both of those guys. If we're lucky, after the bye week.

I respectfully disagree....Pears has proven (IMO) to be an above average starting RT. In particular, he excells in run blocking....the guy is an absolute mauler. If they didn't have a walking tackling dummy next to him at RG the past few weeks, you would notice the Bills running right behing Pears a whole lot more.

I think Hairston is the RT of the future.

Pears is what he is. Which is a good depth player and a second stringer.

I respectfully disagree....Pears has proven (IMO) to be an above average starting RT. In particular, he excells in run blocking....the guy is an absolute mauler. If they didn't have a walking tackling dummy next to him at RG the past few weeks, you would notice the Bills running right behing Pears a whole lot more.

OK, but how often does that happen? I think that he is the best RT we have had since Jason Peters lined up on the right. And, Hairston can play! Again, Bell getting hurt so much last season was actually good for this team. Hairston was a steal of a draft pick, and at least holds his own on virtually every down. Players such as Pears and Hairston are keeping this football team alive as we speak.

I think Hairston is the RT of the future.

IMO Pears is an average starting right tackle. He plays with good aggression and effort.

There are gonna be times when he looks terrible in pass pro (like the play where Cordy Glenn was injured because Pears couldn't handle his assignment).

I totally agree that Hairston is the right tackle of the future and only Glenn's injury has kept him from biting into Pears' reps at right tackle.

We can all learn a valuable lesson from this...it's important to start drinking BEFORE the kickoff!

Yep, Bill's pre-beer snafu is certainly a teachable moment.

IMO Pears is an average starting right tackle. He plays with good aggression and effort.

There are gonna be times when he looks terrible in pass pro (like the play where Cordy Glenn was injured because Pears couldn't handle his assignment).

I totally agree that Hairston is the right tackle of the future and only Glenn's injury has kept him from biting into Pears' reps at right tackle.

I respectfully disagree wrt Pears. Imo, despite his limited agility, he is better than average.

Wrt Hairston, I think that he is one of the most interesting plyers on the team. Remember, this kid has not played a full season at left tackle, and he is doing a very good job. Hairston is a huge asset for this team. I would NEVER trade him, but there's a player who is worth way more than the 4th that they used on him. In a hypothetical situation, if Hairston was a ufa at the end of the season and his play stayed the same or improved even a little, he would get a big contract with a nice signing bonus. I am thinking that the Cards wish they had either one of those two. :thumbsup:

I respectfully disagree wrt Pears. Imo, despite his limited agility, he is better than average.

Wrt Hairston, I think that he is one of the most interesting plyers on the team. Remember, this kid has not played a full season at left tackle, and he is doing a very good job. Hairston is a huge asset for this team. I would NEVER trade him, but there's a player who is worth way more than the 4th that they used on him. In a hypothetical situation, if Hairston was a ufa at the end of the season and his play stayed the same or improved even a little, he would get a big contract with a nice signing bonus. I am thinking that the Cards wish they had either one of those two. :thumbsup:

I know Pears' teammates absolutely love his nasty streak. Agreed on Hairston being a true luxury on the roster.

I watched the game last night after only catching parts of the end on my phone (was at the nc state fair and stream kept dropping). I was actually surprised after reading all the commentary, but the offense did not look like a complete disaster to me. We were able to run the ball and be physical and receivers were open. If fitz can gather himself from here on out and at least be adequate in more consistently putting the ball in catchable areas on makable throws, and if chan never goes to empty backfield on 3rd and short again, I think the offense will be fine (people have to also realize that friggin Sam young was playing o line).

For me one play that really pissed me off was the touchback on the punt. Such a horrible play by Martin. And the only reason he is wasting a roster spot is to make that play. It amazes me how stupid so many of those gunners are on handling the ball near the goal line - just keep yourself out of the end zone and just keep the ball in the field of play - you don't need to fall on it, just tip it back.

FYI for nc folks - if you go to the fair, the guys who run "Dave's I Got It!" booth are from Buffalo. I was watching the end on my phone there and keeping them updated while some came over to watch. There wasn't a person there who didn't think we were going to lose after the 61 Yarder - just a question of how... They are there every year - one year when my kids won they had some Bills stuff in the back they brought out for us. :)

Too many screens. Back to back in fact. Mario plays WAY better from a 5 technique than a 4- id ban him from a 4. they twist him a lot with the tackle too, they just dont seem to work, stick him in a 5 or more & let him go. Whilst we're at it, stick him in a 7! How good are the backs? I like the athleticism of LeVitre- hustles on blocks, good combo with Wood & LeVitre. The Oline- often has its share of penalties, didnt. McKelvin's found his spot- nice Tasker moment!!!! Still NO big hits (except Mario on the pick) but Brabham energetic bounce may come to fruition. We have 4 QB & 3 kickers. How big is Hairston? Was it Carrington who squashed Kolb? Could the refs have used the chains to measure?

13) Congrats people! We are 3-3, and still alive after 3 ugly losses of historic proportion. This is the hardest Bills team to figure in many years.

That's my big takeaway. While we arrived at our current record via the ugliest route possible, 3-3 is where I figured we'd be at this point. We're in it 'til we're not, and in the AFC, only Houston and Baltimore have better records than us.

Great comments on the game. My additional comment. Spiller is great, a better long threat than Jackson. And, he is getting more rounded in all facits of the game. But, Fred has a role here, it takes two to be adequately covered in the NFL. I would shade the touches to Spiller were I the coach, with the thought being more home run plays will occur. INstead of 50/50, I would start with 60/40 favoring Spiller. the former #1 is looking all of that now!

That's my big takeaway. While we arrived at our current record via the ugliest route possible, 3-3 is where I figured we'd be at this point. We're in it 'til we're not, and in the AFC, only Houston and Baltimore have better records than us.

On that point -- Baltimore is now crippled on defense, and Houston has looked anything but dominant over the past two weeks after jumping out of the starting gate like a house afire.

It really is wide freaking open...regardless of how little I trust this team.