A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

When Nix took over the reigns the Bills were basically an expansion level team.

That "expansion level team" went 6-10, 7-9, 7-9 and 7-9 in the previous 4 seasons with Jauron as the coach and Edwards and Losman as the primary QBs.

While not good it's not expansion level and those 7-9 records are something the current front office has yet to match.

As Nix says, show me the baby. On paper I like Nix has done for the most part but the bottom line is that until this team wins games and gets into the playoffs they're just a paper lion. And so far this D has proven to be just that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That "expansion level team" went 6-10, 7-9, 7-9 and 7-9 in the previous 4 seasons with Jauron as the coach and Edwards and Losman as the primary QBs.

While not good it's not expansion level and those 7-9 records are something the current front office has yet to match.

As Nix says, show me the baby. On paper I like Nix has done for the most part but the bottom line is that until this team wins games and gets into the playoffs they're just a paper lion. And so far this D has proven to be just that.

The roster under Jauron/Levy/Modrak was never going to be able to be a contending team. Nix has reworked the roster trying to get beyond being average to below average. I'll certainly take Nix's approach to drafting and free agency acquistions over the prior regime's approach. The way this befuddled franchise was being managed was never going to move it beyond average. In my view Nix has a better sense of how to move up the ranks than the regimes he took over. Whether you like it or not it was going to take time to professionalize the front office and address the roster needs.

Edited by JohnC

Agreed. I said before the season and I still say, when asked how good is our OL I ask in return:

"got Wood?"

You sure did. I recall that.

If we keep Levitre and Glenn continues to develop we should be well above average or better than that with Urbik Pears and Hairston Rinehart backing them up. Thats not a bad look long term.

But I agree with John C, there is still alot of work to do and it is going to take patience for everyone to make a happy healthy Super bowl winning baby.

Hang in there folks.

The roster under Jauron/Levy/Modrak was never going to be able to be a contending team. Nix has reworked the roster trying to get beyond being average to below average. I'll certainly take Nix's approach to drafting and free agency acquistions over the prior regime's approach. The way this befuddled franchise was being managed was never going to move it beyond average. In my view Nix has a better sense of how to move up the ranks than the regimes he took over. Whether you like it or not it was going to take time to professionalize the front office and address the roster needs.

There is no disputing any of the above. But these record setting blow-out losses raise serious questins about the coaching. And this has to reflect upon Nix to some degree.

As I said before, this is a very hard team to get a handle on.

There is no disputing any of the above. But these record setting blow-out losses raise serious questins about the coaching. And this has to reflect upon Nix to some degree.

This team is not very hard to get a handle on, at least to me. They have a sub par qb in a sport that is qb driven. Bilecheck struggled when he was with Cleveland. Why so? He didn't have a good starting qb. He had his early struggles when he was with New England. When Bledsoe got hurt and was replaced with Brady that franchise took off. Indianapolis certainly struggled before Peyton Manning was drafted. During his tenure the team was a consistent SB contender. The Giant organization gave up a lot of picks for Eli Manning. With him as a starting qb they ended up with two SB championships. The Giants are a good team but they also had holes in the roster. But with an exceptional qb they were able to prevail. The Pats have been the most successful franchise over the past decade. Even being one of the best teams they have a lot of liabilities. What has overcome those liabilities is a HOF qb.

You are a big time Alabama fan. Saban is one of the best coaches in college. His tenure in Miami as a pro coach was not so successful. Why was that so? Because they didn't have a quality franchise qb. If they would have taken the risk of signing an injured Brees the record of Saban at Miami would have been immensely better.

I'm not suggesting that Chan Gailey is a brilliant coach. Far from it. In my view he is a better OC than HC. But in my estimation he is a credible HC. Give him a high caliber qb who is capable of making all the required plays and then his performance as a HC will predictably go up.

Look at the Packers. Over the past few years they have had issues with their defense and running game. Yet they have recently won a SB and are a consistent playoff team for the simple reason that they have arguably the best qb in the game.

Just go back and assess the most consistent winning teams over the past decade. They are teams with high caliber qbs. The Bills are demonstrably deficient in the most important position in the pro game. Until that deficiency is addressed this team will never be a serious team.

Edited by JohnC

The attachment is a radio interview with WGR's Joe Buscaglia discussing Fitz's performance. It is simply pathetic.

http://www.wgr550.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=6085037