A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Had the same thoughts about Stevie yesterday. Doesn't matter if it is Revis or Peterson, the guy cannot be covered one on one. Now if we could just get a QB that can get him the ball.

Had the same Holy Sh** moment when I saw that Pears was the first player flying up the field and make the open field tackle after the int - that from on offensive lineman, the kid deserves some props.

I thought Spiller had a better all around game than Jackson, but Jackson is older and I expect he is still playing hurt and needs to heal. And yes, I think Jackson rushed back because of pressure from having Spiller play so well when he was out.

Yeah, a linebacker covering Fitzgerald? They caught Wanny again with his defensive pants down as I believe the Bills had their base defensive package in and they needed to have a nickle package to account for Arizona's extra receivers. Would have been a good time to call a time out if a coach was good at recognizing the mismatch and making on the fly adjustments. Have to think after the last 3 games that Wanny is not the kind of coach that can quickly adapt to game situations. He is probably a good game planner, as indicated by respectable first half performances, but when teams adjust their strategy after half time he has shown the tendency to go blank. With that handicap he needs to plan for an opponent, try to think of what they will do to counter his scheme and come up with a plan B to implement if they go that route.

Fitzpatrick manages a game well, and knows where he needs to go with the ball, but simply cannot get it there. I have never seen a professional QB bounce as many balls off the turf as Fitz. Chan knows this, that is why they spent so much $$ on defense - the only way they win with Fitz is if the defense keeps them in the game and they run the ball. We have seen what Fitz can do, he is a good locker room guy and his ability to pick up offenses make him a viable backup in any organization, but he is too erratic to be a starter that can carry a team.

I almost fear Fitz getting a hot hand (not saying I don't want us to win games), but if he does towards the end of the season would the front office pass up drafting a QB with an accurate arm?

I am not as upset with the WC throw Brad made as some are, although the timing is a perfect example of Gailey getting cute with the play calling at the wrong time of a close game. The ball was where it needed to be, but the receiver was held on that play and as I mentioned in another posts, some idiot drew up the play in a way that had both receivers in the same area around the end zone which allowed Peterson to peal off his man and undercut the intended route.

Did some of the lingerie referees get picked up after the strike? Wow, that was a horrible crew that had their "F" game on.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree wrt Pears. Imo, despite his limited agility, he is better than average.

Wrt Hairston, I think that he is one of the most interesting plyers on the team. Remember, this kid has not played a full season at left tackle, and he is doing a very good job. Hairston is a huge asset for this team. I would NEVER trade him, but there's a player who is worth way more than the 4th that they used on him. In a hypothetical situation, if Hairston was a ufa at the end of the season and his play stayed the same or improved even a little, he would get a big contract with a nice signing bonus. I am thinking that the Cards wish they had either one of those two. :thumbsup:

With respect to Pears I think you are somewhat inflating his grades. In m opinion he is in the average range. But ranking him in the average category doesn't mean that he isn't a legitimate RT. He certainly is. As you noted he has very limited agility and flexibility. What he does provide is a lot of grit and effort.

Acquiring Pears was a terrific value addition. He is a credible player who is better as a run blocker than a pass blocker. Not every player on any team's roster is going to be an upper tier player. He plays hard and sometimes gets beat by pass rushers, as all linemen do. But even when he is beaten he gets up and is ready for the next play.

Nix brought in Urbik, Rhinehert and Pears to bolster the OL. without giving up anything. All three of those players were good value additions. Under Whaley and the Nix staff the Bills have been productive in the pro scouting department. That certainly is a dramatic upgrade from the prior regime.

As you already noted Hairston was a terrific value for a fourth round selection. He gives you a lot of value for being able to play on both the right and left side. When Glenn returns to the lineup he will also demonstrate that he is a terrific value for a second round pick.

Nix stated when he got hired that he wanted to make both our lines bigger and stronger. He has done that in spades. Now he has to dedicate himself this offseason in getting a high level prospect for qb. Until he does that his work will be incomplete.

Pears is what he is. Which is a good depth player and a second stringer.

Agreed. Im hoping when Cordy comes back, Hairston moves over to the right permanently. I don't dislike Pears at all, but Hairston is ready IMO.

Surprised that there was no mention of one of the favorite whipping boys around here: Chris Kelsay. Not only was he heavily involved in pressuring the QB all day, I saw a certain mean streak about him (shoving Kolb's head to the ground, for example) that may have been contagious.

I hope the camaraderie shared by the team during the week-long Arizona layover leads to bigger and better things. Reminds me of the cheeseburger outing in Seattle back in 2004 with Mularkey, which set the tone for a near-playoff run.

Yes, they are a week 3-3 -- but it doesn't matter. 3-3 is 3-3. Yes, they will lose to the better teams on the schedule. Fortunately, on paper the schedule gets easier down the stretch.

We will know right away whether or not the win carries over when they face the Titans at home next week. The Titans are dangerous, but they should be beatable. A win there could provide a nice boost of confidence heading into the bye.

Edited by 2003Contenders

6) "Wind in the willow playin'Tea For Two.

The sky was yellow and the sun was blue.

Strangers stoppn ' strangers, just to shake their hand.

Everybody's playin', in the Heart of Gold Band.

Heart of Gold Band."

I love your post's Bill and especially love your gratuitous Dead references.

We are what we are, and 3-3 is better than a losing record and worse than a winning record. We suffered two HUMILIATING defeats to two divisional teams, which is not a good thing by any means. We have the talent to win nine games and I would expect us to do that, and if lucky to either get into the playoffs with the 9 or with a little luck get a tenth win.

We have a lot to prove in the next few games.

We would play a lot better if we stayed out of sports bars in Virginia, though.

I am not as upset with the WC throw Brad made as some are, although the timing is a perfect example of Gailey getting cute with the play calling at the wrong time of a close game. The ball was where it needed to be, but the receiver was held on that play and as I mentioned in another posts, some idiot drew up the play in a way that had both receivers in the same area around the end zone which allowed Peterson to peal off his man and undercut the intended route.

Chan said on WGR on Monday that the play was designed to go to Donald Jones in the middle of the field, not on the hash where he was located. Sounded as though Jones spacing on his route was incorrect.

The Bills are what they are. 3-3. They lose to the better teams and beat the bad teams. The Cardinals, with those 2 tackles, are not a good football team and their record will bear that out.

I'm not excited or concerned. The Bills will only approach relevance when they beat the Texans or Pats.Til then, they are 8-8 because of a bad QB.

Til then, they are 8-8 because of a bad QB.

Prety much agree with this. If Fitz hits Stevie on two of those open routes, it's a different game. Maybe even a blow-out.

Edited by Dopey

Had the same thoughts about Stevie yesterday. Doesn't matter if it is Revis or Peterson, the guy cannot be covered one on one. Now if we could just get a QB that can get him the ball.

Had the same Holy Sh** moment when I saw that Pears was the first player flying up the field and make the open field tackle after the int - that from on offensive lineman, the kid deserves some props.

I thought Spiller had a better all around game than Jackson, but Jackson is older and I expect he is still playing hurt and needs to heal. And yes, I think Jackson rushed back because of pressure from having Spiller play so well when he was out.

Yeah, a linebacker covering Fitzgerald? They caught Wanny again with his defensive pants down as I believe the Bills had their base defensive package in and they needed to have a nickle package to account for Arizona's extra receivers. Would have been a good time to call a time out if a coach was good at recognizing the mismatch and making on the fly adjustments. Have to think after the last 3 games that Wanny is not the kind of coach that can quickly adapt to game situations. He is probably a good game planner, as indicated by respectable first half performances, but when teams adjust their strategy after half time he has shown the tendency to go blank. With that handicap he needs to plan for an opponent, try to think of what they will do to counter his scheme and come up with a plan B to implement if they go that route.

Fitzpatrick manages a game well, and knows where he needs to go with the ball, but simply cannot get it there. I have never seen a professional QB bounce as many balls off the turf as Fitz. Chan knows this, that is why they spent so much $$ on defense - the only way they win with Fitz is if the defense keeps them in the game and they run the ball. We have seen what Fitz can do, he is a good locker room guy and his ability to pick up offenses make him a viable backup in any organization, but he is too erratic to be a starter that can carry a team.

I almost fear Fitz getting a hot hand (not saying I don't want us to win games), but if he does towards the end of the season would the front office pass up drafting a QB with an accurate arm?

Did some of the lingerie referees get picked up after the strike? Wow, that was a horrible crew that had their "F" game on.

I am a fan of the wildcat. And the wildcat throw. But you are wrong. Not when you are trying to close out the game. If anything, I accept the wildcat run in these last minutes. Not the wildcat throw this late in the game. Any smart head coach knows that. Stupid chan can get on my nerves sometimes.

They won, so I forgive the guy. But damn, we almost lost a game we should have won without ot.

Regardless of the hold or non hold. Dont play that play at that stage in the game.

Another pleasant take on the game. Thanks brother Bill.

i must comment on Pears. It is better maybe to consider the sum of it's parts when grading out the O line.

Even with these injuries we are holding our own, Recall last years debacle? We have had enough of them again up front this year to compare. And the group is rather stout all considered.

Pears was an addition who improved his game with us and is a key player to our running succees. Hairston, although maligned by some last year, is a godsend. And a good kid. If we can just keep them together for a couple seasons....

There are going to be times when Fitz gets back into rhythm and looks like a legitimate starting qb. Don't be fooled.

The reality is that he is too limited as a passer to open up the field. I thought that Chan had some peculiar calls. But in his defense he can't use his menu of plays because Fitz can't make a lot of the throws.

And that is Chan's responsibility. He has had over 2 years to evaluate Fitz. If Fitz cannot execute plays from Chan's play book, Chan should not be starting Fitz for the Bills. Giving that cop out excuse is not acceptable entering the 3rd season.

Another pleasant take on the game. Thanks brother Bill.

i must comment on Pears. It is better maybe to consider the sum of it's parts when grading out the O line.

Even with these injuries we are holding our own, Recall last years debacle? We have had enough of them again up front this year to compare. And the group is rather stout all considered.

Pears was an addition who improved his game with us and is a key player to our running succees. Hairston, although maligned by some last year, is a godsend. And a good kid. If we can just keep them together for a couple seasons....

The reason our line is not getting stomped in spite of missing starters is because of our center. Last year when Wood went down, the OL went down the drain. The rest of the crew that played center could not hold off the pressure at the line of attack and DL were in the face of Fitz. This year, Fitz is still well protected from the middle and that all is due to Eric Wood. The OL is not a problem on this team. They have created holes for the running game and given enough time for Fitz to throw the ball. On offense, Fitz has been inaccurate and has had piss power 2nd and 3rd WRs. I don't know why Chan has gone away from getting the ball to Chandler.

I agree with most of what you're saying other than:

1. Byrd has played well.

2. Fitz is done: far too inaccurate.

3. Can we contend for the playoffs? Not with this coaching staff. Nix has assembled a good team and they're being coached ineffectively.

I hope we go get a coordinator from the 49ers, Pats, Ravens, Packers, etc. and make him the highest paid coach in the league. NO MORE RETREADS! Get someone in here who can light a fire under a good group of players. The two games prior to this tell me a great deal about Chan and this coaching group: you don't lose like that if you're being coached properly.

No top coach candidate is coming here when he is one ralph wilson stopped heartbeat from being replaced by the new owner

And that is Chan's responsibility. He has had over 2 years to evaluate Fitz. If Fitz cannot execute plays from Chan's play book, Chan should not be starting Fitz for the Bills. Giving that cop out excuse is not acceptable entering the 3rd season.

It's not a cop out. The truth of the matter is that Fitz is the best qb we have on the roster. He is mediocre at best. But what do you suggest we do? Play an even lesser tallent?

As I and many others have often stated Fitz is a very limited qb. I feel that Nix and Chan both miscalculated in believing that Fitz would be an adequate enough qb to hold the fort until a more talented qb could be drafted at a later time. They set this franchise back by not sooner addressing the most important position on the roster.

What would I have done differently? That is an easy call. I would have drafted Dalton with our second round pick last year instead of selecting a CB, Aaron Williams. While Williams is struggling Dalton is doing a good job in directing the Bengals' offense. If Dalton would have been drafted he would now be our starting qb. There is no doubt that Dalton is more accurate and that he can reasonably make all the various throws that a franchise qb is expected to make. In other words he is simply better than the vet currently at the qb position.

One can easily criticize Gailey for his play calling. What it is obvious is that he can't call the full range of pass plays because Fitz is incapable of making certain throws, especially down the field throws. Gailey also knows that Fitz's accuracy is scatter shot at best so that is another factor in limiting the calls he is making in certain situations. The bottom line is for this season Gailey is stuck with what he has and has to do his best work around Fitz's crushing liabilities.

It's not a cop out. The truth of the matter is that Fitz is the best qb we have on the roster. He is mediocre at best. But what do you suggest we do? Play an even lesser tallent?

As I and many others have often stated Fitz is a very limited qb. I feel that Nix and Chan both miscalculated in believing that Fitz would be an adequate enough qb to hold the fort until a more talented qb could be drafted at a later time. They set this franchise back by not sooner addressing the most important position on the roster.

What would I have done differently? That is an easy call. I would have drafted Dalton with our second round pick last year instead of selecting a CB, Aaron Williams. While Williams is struggling Dalton is doing a good job in directing the Bengals' offense. If Dalton would have been drafted he would now be our starting qb. There is no doubt that Dalton is more accurate and that he can reasonably make all the various throws that a franchise qb is expected to make. In other words he is simply better than the vet currently at the qb position.

One can easily criticize Gailey for his play calling. What it is obvious is that he can't call the full range of pass plays because Fitz is incapable of making certain throws, especially down the field throws. Gailey also knows that Fitz's accuracy is scatter shot at best so that is another factor in limiting the calls he is making in certain situations. The bottom line is for this season Gailey is stuck with what he has and has to do his best work around Fitz's crushing liabilities.

With the same playcalling and WRs a more accurate QB this game is not even close.

As you said, Chan thought Fitz would improve some with him being in his 3rd year back with the same offense and some tweaks in his footwork. It feels, as a fan, that we are not going forward as we should because Fitz didn't take that next step in consistency, in fact, one can think, watching him play that he's regressing because he's thinking too much.

If I'm Gailey and Fitz starts cold against the Titans I sit him for a series or two, let him know what is at stakes and that he needs to re-focus. I see Fitz not being challenged by his back-up and being complacent with his status on the team.

About Wood, I agree, he's the main cog that keeps the OL togheter, he's the unquestioned leader of that group. I would like for him to have more faith in his shotgun snap, A pro center can't let the opposition know the exact moment the ball is snapped to the QB.

The reason our line is not getting stomped in spite of missing starters is because of our center. Last year when Wood went down, the OL went down the drain. The rest of the crew that played center could not hold off the pressure at the line of attack and DL were in the face of Fitz. This year, Fitz is still well protected from the middle and that all is due to Eric Wood.

having Eric healthy is huge.

My problem is that Gailey has had 2+ seasons to evaluate FItz and if he cannot open his play book for him due to all the restrictions you site, Nix and Chan should have spent the better part of the two drafts to get a starting caliber QB like a Dalton or Tannehill if that position was blocking them from being successful. Instead, we have had a RB, DT and CB to show up for three 1st round picks and a couple of turds at the 2nd round except for Cordy Glenn this year.

My problem is that Gailey has had 2+ seasons to evaluate FItz and if he cannot open his play book for him due to all the restrictions you site, Nix and Chan should have spent the better part of the two drafts to get a starting caliber QB like a Dalton or Tannehill if that position was blocking them from being successful. Instead, we have had a RB, DT and CB to show up for three 1st round picks and a couple of turds at the 2nd round except for Cordy Glenn this year.

As I have already stated this front office missed an opportunity when it didn't draft Dalton a couple of drafts ago when he was available. In last year's draft Tannehill was drafted in the first round by Miami ahead of us.

Needless to say getting a franchise qb is not easy. It seems that Nix realizes he needs an upgrade at that position but he is not going to reach for a qb he does not believe in. Gabbert was available a couple of years ago. Clearly he was not enamored with him. He used good judgment in not reaching for the position. The organization made it known that if Newton was available they would have taken him. It was a moot point because he was the first player taken in the draft. So obviously it is clear that this front office from the start has recognized the need to add a more talented franchise qb to the roster.

When Nix took over the reigns the Bills were basically an expansion level team. The team had to be remade on both sides of the ball. During his three year tenure he has mostly upgraded the roster, with some needs such as the LBing corps still needed to be worked on. I'm confident that in this year's draft he will use a first round selection to get the best qb prospect available to add to the roster.

It was never going to be a quick fix to make the Bills a serious team. If year by year the Bills are getting better then they are on the right track. It can be frustrating to watch and endure.

Edited by JohnC