Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Teo is there when they pick take him, I would love to get a QB but rather get the pick right. I am hopeful we get a new coach, sign our own free agents pick Teo and Laundry Jones in the second.

Just make sure Jones doesn't come to the Bills with any dirty Laundry.....

i'd be happy wither Te'o. VERY happy. this team seriously needs a playmaking LB up the middle. KW, Dareus, and Te'o sounds nice up the middle.

However, i'd happily go with Bjoern Werner if Te'o isn't there or even if he is there. Werner is the best DE in this draft and though we have quite a bit of money at the DE position, we STILL lack a consistent pass rush from the front 4.

There are legitimate concerns by some scouts about his speed and ability to operate in space and that will translate to the next level. I've posted this several times since that concern was first mentioned in the 11/26 edition of SI.

The Alabama OL will be the best he's faced, especially from G to G (his main gap responsibility), and their RBs will really test his speed. While ND's entire defense will be tested, this will be Te'o's best chance to make a favorable impression on scouts against the best competition. Of course they will judge his entire body of work and his performance at the combine and pro days will count as well, but this game will go a long way towards easing those concerns about his speed or not.

I love the kid but let's face it, the ND hype machine, including the exclusive coverage by NBC, has played a huge role in his popularity. Personally, I think the other LBs mentioned up thread are better.

GO BILLS!!!

The key to a 4-3 LB in the NFL is first and foremost the ability to shed blocks.

Every good college linebacker can hit and run, some take better angles and have better first steps, closing speed etc, but its how you handle nfl blockers that sets you apart.

There is no roaming free in the NFL like there is in college, someone is always assigned you and its not some college chump its an NFL pro, sometimes with 70 pounds and 7 inches of arm length on you.

Watch guys like Shep play, who were very good college players but struggle in the NFL because they get swallowed up and taken out of position far too often due to their inability to come off blockers and make plays.

Not sure where Teo grades out here, I just hope whoever we pick at LB is good at it.

Most of us don't go to games, watch films, talk to coaches, etc. It's up to the front office to see through the pop and sizzle and get the pick right. And if they say the right player is Te'o, I'm pretty sure we shoulda went with Minter.

How is he a play maker with 2 sacks. Not saying he isn't a very good linebacker but I want an impact player at that pick

Sacks schmacks. I don't care if my MLB ever gets a sack if my scheme isn't designed for that. A playmaking MLB sheds blocks, has good speed laterally and to the hole, and makes tackles. He is also a three-down LB that can drop into coverage and be effective in pass coverage. In short, a playmaking MLB is an MLB that makes the plays he's supposed to make when they are there to be made. It is the most critical defensive position in a 43 front and a good one makes all the difference in the world. And it's why we would have drafted Keuchly if the Panthers hadn't taken him.

If he chimes in with the occasional INT and sack, so much the better. But I will start with an LB that can simply play his position well far more often than not. Such is the sorry state of our LB corps over the years that better than adequate is a step up for me.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Sacks schmacks. I don't care if my MLB ever gets a sack if my scheme isn't designed for that. A playmaking MLB sheds blocks, has good speed laterally and to the hole, and makes tackles. He is also a three-down LB that can drop into coverage and be effective in pass coverage. In short, a playmaking MLB is an MLB that makes the plays he's supposed to make when they are there to be made. It is the most critical defensive position in a 43 front and a good one makes all the difference in the world. And it's why we would have drafted Keuchly is the Panthers hadn't taken him.

If he chimes in with the occasional INT and sack, so much the better. But I will start with an LB that can simply play his position well far more often than not. Such is the sorry state of our LB corps over the years that better than adequate is a step up for me.

GO BILLS!!!

this.

He may not be Singletary or RayRay but....even If he is the next London Fletcher, I am in.

There are legitimate concerns by some scouts about his speed and ability to operate in space and that will translate to the next level. I've posted this several times since that concern was first mentioned in the 11/26 edition of SI.

The Alabama OL will be the best he's faced, especially from G to G (his main gap responsibility), and their RBs will really test his speed. While ND's entire defense will be tested, this will be Te'o's best chance to make a favorable impression on scouts against the best competition. Of course they will judge his entire body of work and his performance at the combine and pro days will count as well, but this game will go a long way towards easing those concerns about his speed or not.

I love the kid but let's face it, the ND hype machine, including the exclusive coverage by NBC, has played a huge role in his popularity. Personally, I think the other LBs mentioned up thread are better.

GO BILLS!!!

^^^ this

He's a great kid and a good prospect...He'll be a better prospect if he can run in the 4.5 - 4.6 range at Indy...Which I doubt, but hope he will...I don't think he's all-hype like some around here...But he is certainly a bit hyped...No question...

There is no way I could ever sign-off on Drafting Te'o over whatever QB may be available at #4 - #10 for The Bills...I just can't do it because of how bad I think this Team needs to move forward at the QB position...And believe me I understand the risk...I know they have to get that QB pick right, which I believe accounts for 99.9% of Bills Fans fears when we start talking about taking a QB with that 1st pick...Lets face it, the confidence in Nix getting a QB pick right is certainly not high...Considering the fact that he passed on Dalton, Kaepernick, and Wilson, to Draft Aaron Williams and TJ Graham...Still, as much as I like Te'o, I think you can get as good in the 2nd or 3rd round with solid Scouting...The 2nd Round always seems to be a good round for LB's in the NFL Draft...No way I would take a LB in the 1st Round in 2013...IMHO, that pick needs to address the QB position...Period... B-)

Vontaze ran a horrible 40 and is getting some consideration as DROY. Bengals think he can move back inside if RM is not returning. Teo is a lot better than Burfict.

I think that was something few predicted though with Burfict.

We really need linebackers and i would prefer a 3 down backer in the middle. Stats be damned

The draft is ALL about hype.

Hopefully our scouts can sift through enough film and get us a QB or two and a LB and DE.

And a WR and aTE and safety and....

I think that was something few predicted though with Burfict.

We really need linebackers and i would prefer a 3 down backer in the middle. Stats be damned

The draft is ALL about hype.

Hopefully our scouts can sift through enough film and get us a QB or two and a LB and DE.

And a WR and aTE and safety and....

Sure, but few pro talent guys predicted that Russell Wilson could play at this level too tho clearly he can. I guess my point is that most scouts and GMs can't think outside the box and are overly reliant on measurables. Clearly there are a few who are capable of taking a more comprehensive, less limiting view - like Seattle's GM. Hope our guys can demonstrate the same ability because I agree we need help at a number of positions.

Look at Bobby Wagner. He was thought to be too small but he ran a nice sub 4.5 40 but he is in conversation for ROY. I think Teo has it and we would be lucky to have him.

Byrd, who may now be signing a bigger contract than Weddle, is another example of a pro bowl quality player who fell in the draft because of his 40 time.