Chan Gailey....Two Major, Fundamental Mistakes

rcatty

According to Gailey, (Howard Simon show, Monday morning), Wanny is totally in charge of the defense. What's that all about? I'm sorry, I thought he, Gailey, was head coach. No effective head coach abdicates total responsibility to a coordinator. Any head coach worth his salt is going to make sure the coordinator does what he, the head coach, wants. Who is running the asylum here ? Can you imagine Lou Saban letting an assistant call the defensive shots? Secondly, Gailey, who appears to be a competent, if not, brilliant offensive coordinator, appears to spend most of his time, being just that, an offensive coordinator, Effective head coaches don't immerse themselves in one aspect of the game, to the detriment of other phases. The defense needs a head coach, and he, Gailey, ought to act like they have one. He needs to get in the faces of his defense, and let them know that if they can't do the job, he'll find someone who can.

According to Gailey, (Howard Simon show, Monday morning), Wanny is totally in charge of the defense. What's that all about? I'm sorry, I thought he, Gailey, was head coach. No effective head coach abdicates total responsibility to a coordinator. Any head coach worth his salt is going to make sure the coordinator does what he, the head coach, wants. Who is running the asylum here ? Can you imagine Lou Saban letting an assistant call the defensive shots? Secondly, Gailey, who appears to be a competent, if not, brilliant offensive coordinator, appears to spend most of his time, being just that, an offensive coordinator, Effective head coaches don't immerse themselves in one aspect of the game, to the detriment of other phases. The defense needs a head coach, and he, Gailey, ought to act like they have one. He needs to get in the faces of his defense, and let them know that if they can't do the job, he'll find someone who can.

Bull****. You dont let your team go down the tubes like that. This is MORE than just another loss. You have to make adjustments. What do the players think of the coaches after this crap? Gailey needs to get involved, I dont care if Wanless is his friend, this is war and we are never going to gain respect. Jesus, two other teams figured it out before we played them. Look at the film. The light finally went off for Sheppard, we had a great run defense going into this game. Sorry to go off, but like I said this is not just another loss. Edited by Buffalo Mike1

From WGR's website yesterday (linked on TBD mainpage):

'As inept as the game plan against New England was because it featured Bryan Scott playing most of the game and Kelvin Sheppard and Arthur Moats on the bench, Chan Gailey had no problem with it, “That was fine. I’m fine with it. I’ve got complete confidence in Dave and what they’re trying to do and where we’ve got our people situated. That’s the majority of it, is where do you have your people situated?

Well guess what Chan, I'm not fine with it (not that you give a rats ass about that)!!! The object of the game is to score more points than the opposition. The object of the game is winning. Typically you have to be able to stop the other team from scoring. The object of the game is not to get misplaced/misused personnel situated. Situated?

This one proved once and for all that Gailey is in over his head as HC. He has no clue how to get his team ready to beat the teams in his division. These should be the easiest games to prepare for. Buffalo should be very familiar with what NE, Miami or the Jets. Playing them twice a year for going on three years now should give a coach a clear indication of their tendencies and it should never be as easy as it was for NE this past Sunday. He is clueless.

This one proved once and for all that Gailey is in over his head as HC. He has no clue how to get his team ready to beat the teams in his division. These should be the easiest games to prepare for. Buffalo should be very familiar with what NE, Miami or the Jets. Playing them twice a year for going on three years now should give a coach a clear indication of their tendencies and it should never be as easy as it was for NE this past Sunday. He is clueless.

Gailey is a very likable guy, it just sucks he is clueless about the defense or DC's. 2 years with George Edwards and now an out of touch dinosaur minded DC that is one of Chan's good friends.

Its not just Fitz, as Fitz would do well if he was given a limited role instead of forcing him to pass all game like Tom Brady. Its also the fact that 3 years into the Nix / Gailey regime and still no rookie QB to develop.

It will be a lot of things that will get Gailey fired, his inability it identify player talent,and identify good assistant coaches. His myopic approach to running an offense in being so determined to force a perennial backup QB to try and emulate Tom Brady and the Patriots offense. Gailey doesn't have Brady, or the wealth of receivers the Patriots have. Gailey has one good WR, one good TE and likes to run 4-5 WR sets that are meaningless because only one guy is gonna be open.

I didn't think it was possible, but Gailey still hasn't beaten moron Jauron's 7-9 mark. Its only a matter of time before this HC is done, few weeks maybe.

Chan's biggest mistakes that will end up costing him his job are:

1) Wanny as DC

2) Fitz as starting QB with no other viable option on the team

Let's see if T-Jack gets activated this week.

Good post. You hit the nail on the head...

Gailey is a very likable guy, it just sucks he is clueless about the defense or DC's. 2 years with George Edwards and now an out of touch dinosaur minded DC that is one of Chan's good friends.

Its not just Fitz, as Fitz would do well if he was given a limited role instead of forcing him to pass all game like Tom Brady. Its also the fact that 3 years into the Nix / Gailey regime and still no rookie QB to develop.

It will be a lot of things that will get Gailey fired, his inability it identify player talent,and identify good assistant coaches. His myopic approach to running an offense in being so determined to force a perennial backup QB to try and emulate Tom Brady and the Patriots offense. Gailey doesn't have Brady, or the wealth of receivers the Patriots have. Gailey has one good WR, one good TE and likes to run 4-5 WR sets that are meaningless because only one guy is gonna be open.

I didn't think it was possible, but Gailey still hasn't beaten moron Jauron's 7-9 mark. Its only a matter of time before this HC is done, few weeks maybe.

Well said. As glad as I was to be shed of Jauron, I will have to say that he knew how to get more from less. The only problem is that he was such a poor judge of talent (I refuse to blame Modrak for ALL of the bad draft choices) that he was ALWAYS trying to do more with less. His philosophy was to keep it close and try to win it in the 4th quarter. Seems like the Bills lost a lot of close games during his time here.

Maybe a couple of weeks away from Orchard Park against a couple of unfamiliar teams will help this team get its mojo back. For all the fears about the 49ers, I actually think the Bills match up well against them. When playing a normal base D, I think they stop the running game -- and I am not too worried abiut Alex Smith torching them. The offense has shown that it can score pretty much against everybody. The concern is going to be that the Niners run defense is going to most likely stifle FJax and Spiller again. Fitz is going to have to avoid the big mistakes -- and realize that sometimes a punt is OK.

Guys......I am willing to give Wanny time to put his defense into place...the guy has gotten it done as a DC just about everywhere he has been.

BUT

The no show of Mario WIlliams is just mind boggling.....how does a 100 million dollar DE not make plays when he isn't getting double teamed

How much time will this DC need. He's not new to the gig.

This is why having a college HC coaching a pro team is not a good idea. You could have given 10 million to Bill Cowher a yr. If you gonna overpay for somebody, pay him not Maria ( Super Skirt) Williams

I disagree with the OP.

This to me is a Buddy Nix miscall. Chan's record including this year is 14-24. You do the math.

Guys......I am willing to give Wanny time to put his defense into place...the guy has gotten it done as a DC just about everywhere he has been.

BUT

The no show of Mario WIlliams is just mind boggling.....how does a 100 million dollar DE not make plays when he isn't getting double teamed

Because his pay isn't based on performance? The Bills rolled the dice on this guy and it looks like they came up snake-eyes. He'll show up and play but he's not going to risk any injuries to himself by going all-out. They should trade him away now if it isn't too late already. At least underperforming Bills defensive players have a history of doing better on other teams i.e. Whitner, Maybin, etc.

Because his pay isn't based on performance? The Bills rolled the dice on this guy and it looks like they came up snake-eyes. He'll show up and play but he's not going to risk any injuries to himself by going all-out. They should trade him away now if it isn't too late already. At least underperforming Bills defensive players have a history of doing better on other teams i.e. Whitner, Maybin, etc.

No team in their right mind would trade for that contract when the guy isn't performing. There's also no chance that the Bills just eat the remaining prorated portion of his guaranteed money, which would be an additional $37.70 million cap hit beyond what they're already taking. Poor logic to say the least.

I see this kind of quote often, but I'm not sure what it means. Does it mean you tell them "we have a guy on the practice squad that CAN do this job, Marcel!" or "we are gonna sign a guy off the street soon. If you're not careful, you are gonna end up a free agent, free to sign with any team that might need a starter, Mario!"

It's not like replacing a retail store manager, or a bank teller.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

BUT

He got it done in the early 90's.

I believe history will show Chan Gailey's loyalty to Fitzpatrick got him fired.

Well...If that is going to be the reason Nix should be in just as much trouble... B-)

Hmmm....I see we have begun to eat our young here. Panic sets in once again. :rolleyes:

Surprised? Or do you see something significantly different so far this year? B-)

Well...If that is going to be the reason Nix should be in just as much trouble... B-)

Surprised? Or do you see something significantly different so far this year? B-)

Too early to panic. Check back with me in 2-3 weeks. :D

From WGR's website yesterday (linked on TBD mainpage):

Well guess what Chan, I'm not fine with it (not that you give a rats ass about that)!!! The object of the game is to score more points than the opposition. The object of the game is winning. Typically you have to be able to stop the other team from scoring. The object of the game is not to get misplaced/misused personnel situated. Situated?

Good to see you get into this Beerball, I think you mods don't get into the discussions enough and I agree, that defense was terrible.

Well said. As glad as I was to be shed of Jauron, I will have to say that he knew how to get more from less. The only problem is that he was such a poor judge of talent (I refuse to blame Modrak for ALL of the bad draft choices) that he was ALWAYS trying to do more with less. His philosophy was to keep it close and try to win it in the 4th quarter. Seems like the Bills lost a lot of close games during his time here.

Maybe a couple of weeks away from Orchard Park against a couple of unfamiliar teams will help this team get its mojo back. For all the fears about the 49ers, I actually think the Bills match up well against them. When playing a normal base D, I think they stop the running game -- and I am not too worried abiut Alex Smith torching them. The offense has shown that it can score pretty much against everybody. The concern is going to be that the Niners run defense is going to most likely stifle FJax and Spiller again. Fitz is going to have to avoid the big mistakes -- and realize that sometimes a punt is OK.

Quite true on Jauron. Taking the air out of the football is a good strategy for sneaking out victories with a team with less talent. Unfortunately, it is not a strategy for building a great team that can win consistently and win if it ever got to the playoffs.

Let's ask the begging question with respect to the bolded. With respect to the offense there have been about 5 jillion posts on this board about Gailey being pass happy, not figuring out how to use his running game, not using CJ Spiller, and putting games in the hands of Fitzpicks. Not to mention organizational direction which hasn't invested in the QB position or really much in weapons for this aerial assault oriented attack. So, is Gailey really a brilliant offensive mind, or is he more of a stubborn one-trick mule?

This is why having a college HC coaching a pro team is not a good idea. You could have given 10 million to Bill Cowher a yr. If you gonna overpay for somebody, pay him not Maria ( Super Skirt) Williams

I disagree with the OP.

This to me is a Buddy Nix miscall. Chan's record including this year is 14-24. You do the math.

Your treading on my new Mantra: "College schemes don't beat pro teams". If I new how to put it at the bottom of all my posts it would be there. :w00t:

Edited by MikeSpeed

We didn't have the talent that we needed on Defense but we had good def coaches - now we have the talent on D but terrible def coaches. It's so painful to be a Bills fan, I may have to raise my kids to support other teams like Denver & Baltimore so that they won't have to suffer as I have.

Please fire Wanny soon!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: