ESPN Week 4 Power Rankings

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you actually think we are a better team than the Pats?

Actually, yes. I think the only areas they truly out-rank us are at QB and LBs. I'll give them the edge on TE, but with Hernandez out, Chandler levels the field a bit against Gronk.

If the Bills come out firing, and stick to a GOOD gameplan, we could really take it to these guys. First time in almost a decade Ive felt that way.

Actually, yes. I think the only areas they truly out-rank us are at QB and LBs. I'll give them the edge on TE, but with Hernandez out, Chandler levels the field a bit against Gronk.

If the Bills come out firing, and stick to a GOOD gameplan, we could really take it to these guys. First time in almost a decade Ive felt that way.

I totally agree. Our D-line continues to gel in this one and dominates the Pats O-line, is what I see happening this weekend. I think we can and will win this game.

You raise an interesting argument comparing Gronk to Chandler. At first, I was about to mock the comparison. But as I thought about it more, you might be right. When you look at Gronk, a lot of his success is due to Brady making some unreal throws; there are so many times when he is blanketed and yet Brady gets him the ball perfectly. If Chandler were on the Pats, I wonder if his production would skyrocket too due to QB play.

The question is, if the Bills beat the Pats, are the Pats still above the Bills in the power rankings???

Yes. It's about consistency. The Bills will need to win consistently and beat good teams to get ranked higher. Barely losing to Baltimore and beating the browns are not equal

We've beaten two of the worst teams in the league and were dominated by a middle-of-the-pack team in our only true test. Based on week 1 and our 6-10 record last year (not to mention losing our 2 best offensive players), we are ranked right about where we should be.

I suspect this will be proven true when New England smacks us down once again on Sunday.

I'd give them the edge at WR, I think Welker and Lloyd are better than Stevie and Jones. Unfortunately, a good QB could be the difference between a 2-14 season and a 10-6 (Manning for the Colts).

why do people get upset about this? The bills haven't been in the playoffs in forever and have been horribly inconsistent. It happened again this year with the Jets game.

I've never understood the point of power rankings that don't attempt to inject some sort of opinion, much less complaining about those that do.

If you want to just sort by record, that's easy enough to do by looking at the standings.

Forget the Bills' position - how about this nonsense:

(1-2) Steelers 11 spots above the team they just lost to (1-2) Oakland.

(2-1) 49ers 17 spots above the also (2-1) Vikings who just beat them handily.

(2-1) Ravens 6 spots over the (2-1) Eagles they lost to.

(2-1) Giants 6 spots above (2-1) Cowboys, who beat the Giants convincingly on opening night.

(1-2) Redskins 3 spots over the also (1-2) Rams - who beat the 'Skins.

(1-2) Oakland 2 spots over the also (1-2) Dolphins who beat them.

Like the commentary from the idiot talking heads (usually former players) on NFLN and to a lesser extent, ESPN - these "Power Rankings" are nothing but outdated expectations from prior seasons mixed with a load of stupid hype,

What is extra stupid, is that it is perfectly possible to construct actual mathematical power rankings (RPI, etc.) as they do for college ball, but that would be too much "work" for the under educated fools who write for these "publications".

You raise an interesting argument comparing Gronk to Chandler. At first, I was about to mock the comparison. But as I thought about it more, you might be right. When you look at Gronk, a lot of his success is due to Brady making some unreal throws; there are so many times when he is blanketed and yet Brady gets him the ball perfectly. If Chandler were on the Pats, I wonder if his production would skyrocket too due to QB play.

You know what? The Pats have a 10 year body of work behind them and were Super Bowl runners up 8 months ago. 3 games isn't a large enough body of work to say that's changed. You can't say this year's Power Rankings have nothing to do with last year when they have 90 % of the same players and a first ballot HOF QB.

Leave the Bills at 19 for a few more weeks, lets see how they do these next 3 games before I'd consider raising the rank. I love the direction the Bills seem to be going in but they were 5-2 last year too.