Criticism of Wanny

Kelly the Dog

I was and still am a huge fan of making Wanny the DC. But after listening to an interview with him on The John Murphy Show early this week (either Monday or Tuesday) I think that he deserves some severe criticism for the Jets debacle.

Most all pre-season and training camp the Bills had the DBs in press coverage. Gilmore especially is a physical corner, and played press in college most of the time. AWilliams, too, is a physical guy. Williams was repeatedly getting burnt in pre-season on regular coverage, and Gilmore was repeatedly praised for his play and toughness.

Opening day, what did we do? Abandoned the press coverage. The DBs played back. I understood the theory at least, that we have this great line that should be able to generate a lot of pressure with four, and we'll dare Sanchez to beat us with his arm, especially because the Jets only had one real WR threat.

The result? The Jets killed us. Gilmore and AWilliams and everyone else couldn't cover anyone. The DL didn't generate pressure against a good OL. Sanchez had all day and was remarkable accurate.

The second week, Wanny completely changed his defense. The CBs played pressure. He blitzed all game long. And the defense dominated.

The real problem, however, was listening to him this week saying that the team plays much better when the DBs play pressure. It lets the DL have an extra half second or so to get to the QB. We have the players to play it, and we're a better defense with it.

Hello?

How about the Jets game when you abandoned it?

I think part of our problem, if not the major part of the Jets debacle was the coaching, getting too conservative, getting out of what our DBs do well. Right now, more than the LBs, our biggest problem on defense is the coverage skills of the DBs. Gilmore is a rookie who is going to be great IMO. Williams is struggling in coverage, as is Leodis. McGee is not healthy or back to speed yet. We need to do what we did against KC even if it means some big plays against us. Play press defense. Blitz a bit. Pressure the QB into mistakes, and live with some 20 yard completion of you have to.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100000%, and have NO IDEA why that was the Jets gameplan, but I gaurantee it wont be the second time around (and hopefully not ever again)...it still has not been explained, all we got was Chan saying "we played too soft, we will fix that, Dave and I have already talked" - great, but who the hell thought that was a good idea to start the game and why was that never changed until it was too late in week 1?

I hope to see the defensive game plan that abused the Chiefs much, much more throughout this season, and never see the gameplan against the Jets ever, ever again...

This team should press and get pressure...period

So a fan could go two ways here.....

- They can be upset that we lost game 1 of a 16 game season to a division rival

or

- They can commend a coach that recognized his error and fixed it immediately in the next game resulting in pretty much a dominating win

I dont think people understand just how many arrogant coaches there are in the league that will not change things even when they are losing and try to "make it work"....we have actualy had sets of coaches for THIS team in the past so I figured we should understand that.....

We have coaches that recognize their errors and their egos are not so big they are not willing to admit mistakes/make changes....this is a good thing.

Am I happy we lost to the jets? No......am I worried about our coaches......NO

So a fan could go two ways here.....

- They can be upset that we lost game 1 of a 16 game season to a division rival

or

- They can commend a coach that recognized his error and fixed it immediately in the next game resulting in pretty much a dominating win

I dont think people understand just how many arrogant coaches there are in the league that will not change things even when they are losing and try to "make it work"....we have actualy had sets of coaches for THIS team in the past so I figured we should understand that.....

We have coaches that recognize their errors and their egos are not so big they are not willing to admit mistakes/make changes....this is a good thing.

Am I happy we lost to the jets? No......am I worried about our coaches......NO

John, you seem to live in a world without criticism when it concerns the Bills. It's not as though Wanny realized that his original plan wasn't working so he admitted it and quickly corrected it. That would be entirely commendable, similar to say, Chan pulling the plug on Trentative early. Wanny already HAD the right plan, and knew his team was better for it, and then ABANDONED his own plan for the reverse, which failed miserably. He deserves the severe criticism, IMO. Thankfully, he went back to his own original plan.

Totally agree. I've got a bad feeling about Wannstache. There's enough talent on this defense to be really good. It seems as though they are still in preseason mode with the playcalling though.

Are you kidding? I read in multiple places that his defensive playcalling against KC was extremely complex and had many moving parts, masking and bringing pressure from all over the place. Shep's sack, Anderson actually dropping back into coverage more like an LB... One article (apologies, can't remember which one to link) said it was the kind of game film that would give next week's opposing quarterback fits.

Edited by jimmyo

I don't know about his abilities to be a good DC but he was a bad HC in Chicago, Miami and at Pitt. He strikes me as a dopey guy.

Totally agree. I've got a bad feeling about Wannstache. There's enough talent on this defense to be really good. It seems as though they are still in preseason mode with the playcalling though.

The talent on defense is marginal beyond the D-line which is why they will be decent not be really good.

John, you seem to live in a world without criticism when it concerns the Bills. It's not as though Wanny realized that his original plan wasn't working so he admitted it and quickly corrected it. That would be entirely commendable, similar to say, Chan pulling the plug on Trentative early. Wanny already HAD the right plan, and knew his team was better for it, and then ABANDONED his own plan for the reverse, which failed miserably. He deserves the severe criticism, IMO. Thankfully, he went back to his own original plan.

Oh I think I have done my fair share of criting the bills over the past 2 weeks.....especially Chan Gailey

But its not to the point where I am worried about them

Oh I think I have done my fair share of criting the bills over the past 2 weeks.....especially Chan Gailey

But its not to the point where I am worried about them

Fair enough. I'm not worried about them either, or Wanny for that matter, and stated as such in the original post. I just think that not enough has been said about that glaring error, which was completely compounded by what he said after the Chief game, that his team is much better with press coverage, and they have the players to play it.

That in itself is no eye-opener but rather obvious. The eye opener is that he would say that straight out after he completely abandoned his own observation and philosophy the previous week and more important game.

Meh...no one has a monopoly on perfection - not even us HOF football gurus here on TSW B-)

(It took a couple of horrendous outings for Chan Gailey to figure out that Trent Edwards sucks.)

I'll forgive the 'stache for the Jets debacle, so long as we continue to improve going forward...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! :beer:

Not when it's looked at critically. Without question, there is enough talent on the D line to not only be really good, but downright dominant.

Every other position is either a work in progress like the CBs or is manned by nothing more than adequate talent at the present time. I 'like' our guys, but I don't see Wilson and Byrd as great safeties based on what I've seen in pass defense, and our LBs leave a lot to be desired.

Actually, I should say our entire D is a work in progress given their short amount of time together in the scheme. When I look at defenses like San Fran, I see a group that's been together in a scheme and is really comfortable in its execution. We seem to have a ways to go yet in that regard. I just think we're in for a lot of growing pains.

GO BILLS!!!

Houston has a really good Defensive Coordinator whose defense in tops in the NFL right now even though they lost one of the best DEs in the game.

:P

I'm seriously not trying to start anything. Even those around here who hated Wade as a HC still loved him as DC...the NFL job he is most suited for over the last 30 years.

I don't even know how this guy even spends 5 minutes unemployeed in this league.