Jerry Jones: NFL should outlaw kneel-downs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought before I read the article that Jones was talking about the kneeling in the end zone on kickoffs. As far as I'm concerned they can eliminate those. I think in cleanup time it's ok. Anyone can just blame the other team/coach for not utilizing thier timeouts correctly. It is technically a play, and during the heat of a loss there is greater chance of cheap shots near the end of the game.

I've always hated the running of the clock after a running play or a completed pass. Time ticks while guys are standing around. Sure, give 'em the breather and use a play clock for that, but that nothingness should not be happening while the game clock is running.

If they stopped the clock after completed passes or runs, the game would take 5 hours.

I thought before I read the article that Jones was talking about the kneeling in the end zone on kickoffs. As far as I'm concerned they can eliminate those.

I disagree with this completely.

I think in cleanup time it's ok. Anyone can just blame the other team/coach for not utilizing thier timeouts correctly. It is technically a play, and during the heat of a loss there is greater chance of cheap shots near the end of the game.

This a agree with 100%.

It seems hard to police, and you wouldn't get more excitement anyway. You'd have handoffs to RBs who drop at first contact, or flop on their own. Yeah, there's some chance of a strip, but since the RB is literally uninterested in gaining a single yard, I think they'd mostly make it to the ground. It'd be just as boring, except for a blown handoff or two per season. Seems like it's not worth the effort.

What a lot of people recognize, is that as a game that is supposed to be entertaining, there is a lot of crap time. While a knee-down is a successful strategy, it none-the-less crappy entertainment.

Better put than what I wrote. A 25-second rundown after plays --- oftentimes 5 times the amount of time that the play itself actually took. That's a lot of time for grown men Spandex to be standing around doing bupkiss. Maybe allow the 25 seconds, but don't take it all off the game clock.

Games would take longer. Sure. But why have a game clock if that's how you're going to treat it? Reduce the game to 30 minutes total and have stoppage after every play. Time is arbitrary when you don't care how it's kept. This is one of the things that drives me nuts about soccer too. Guys being paid to model laundry for most of the game.

Bottom line is the Bucs did exactly what they are allowed to do within the rules. The stupid part on Schiano's part is he should have wiated to be down by one score adn have 45 seconds as you get the ball back on a fumble especially from a lesser QB and you change everything.

You only have one chance to do something like this as everyone will pay attention now. He chose the wrong week to do it.

Trust me if this turned to a fumble and an evertime vicotry for tampa, the entire conversation would be different. Yes, people would talk of the gentlemans agreement, but the other side would be the genius of of Schiano of playing to the final whistle.

Next time TB tries the kneel-down move, I hope whoever they're playing hammers the holy hell out of their front five. But if the opposing team knows that TB is going to have to do 2 or 3 kneel-downs, I sure hope they play docile at first, then pound away on the last one. It would be so sweet.

Also, lose vs. loose, their vs. there vs. they're, then vs. than, affect vs. effect, to vs. too, and your vs. you're. Do they teach English in government schools anymore? lol

outlawing kneel downs is ridiculous

a team could run a HB dive three times with very very very little risk if the back was instructed to go down and be ball secure at the expense of yardage

but at the end of the game on meaningless plays there is a high risk of someone taking a cheap shot at someone else, and also injury concerns

this can all be avoided by simply taking the knee