Do we really need stadium comfort improvements?

WotAGuy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stadium experience keeps gettng worse. Last year was the longest concession stand and bathroom waits ever. I'd swear it's a conspiracy for us to not go. Now JW just tweeted this. This is the worst part of the experience now:

John Wawrow@john_wawrow

#Bills home opener vs. #Chiefs sold out, but it looks like half the crowd is still lined up at the gates outside of stadium.

Collapse

12:43 PM - 16 Sep 12 · Details

Disclaimer: I started going to games in the Rockpile in the 60s, so I come from a different era.

I understand the need to improve the Ralph for engineering safety and integrity purposes - 40 years is old for a concrete structure.

But do we really need wider concourses, more video screens and try to make the stadium more in line with the new stadiums being built?

I've not heard many people say they don't go to games because its too crowded or too hard to see the replays. It's not the most comfortable place, but I prefer to get to my seat and stand there and scream for three hours and then slide on out. If I want comfort I stay in my comfy living room. I kinda like our stark, old school stadium! I'm going to watch football, not the friggin opera!

And we aren't competing with Indy or Dallas or Jersey for where we choose to watch a game, so why do we need to upgrade the stadium to try and keep up with those cities?

Just seems like the stadium improvements could easily be limited to what is necessary to maintain the structural safety of the Ralph and leave it at that. If we do keep the team here long term, a new stadium is going to be needed eventually, so why spend the extra bucks for comfort improvements now?

Just wondering if I'm in the minority and most people (who actually attend the games) feel we need to improve the comfort factor at the Ralph.

From my limited experience at the Ralph, I will say they need bigger restrooms, or troughs. The women wait in line forever, and the men just pee in the sinks. If you visit other stadiums, the restrooms are twice the size and about 1/4 more in number than the Ralph. With all the beer consumed there, you would think they would have huge urinals....

Yes.

NFL stadiums have to compete with 5.1 surround, 1080i, running commentary, replays, an on-screen vantage point that trumps ANYTHING you would get at a stadium, toilets that are both clean and only 15 feet away, a comfy couch in a climate-control living room, WHATEVER food you want WHENEVER you want it, as much beer/liquor you can drink, as many drugs as you can take, as many cigarettes as you want to smoke, etc. etc. etc.

Well seeing you've put it that way I'm sorry I'm going to the Steelers/Raiders game next week.

The stadium experience keeps gettng worse. Last year was the longest concession stand and bathroom waits ever. I'd swear it's a conspiracy for us to not go. Now JW just tweeted this. This is the worst part of the experience now:

John Wawrow@john_wawrow

#Bills home opener vs. #Chiefs sold out, but it looks like half the crowd is still lined up at the gates outside of stadium.

Collapse

12:43 PM - 16 Sep 12 · Details

I don't love the stadium experience for many, many reasons, but in the Bills' defense, they did put out press releases stating that metal detectors would be used and that fans needed to get to the gates earlier than in the past. It was well-publicized. This one is on the guys who wanted that last Genny out of the twelve-pack, and not on the organization.

Although there are things I've complained about above, there is still nothing like being there. I don't care about my high def TV, etc. with red zone.............It's either you want that communal experience and having a blast with your friends (that you've had seasons with for 27 years) or you don't. I do.

And, I was jealous seeing the people on TV today.

I don't love the stadium experience for many, many reasons, but in the Bills' defense, they did put out press releases stating that metal detectors would be used and that fans needed to get to the gates earlier than in the past. It was well-publicized. This one is on the guys who wanted that last Genny out of the twelve-pack, and not on the organization.

Yes!!! Thank god for the metal detectors. I wouldn't have know I had two quarters in my pocket. <_< They went from pat downs(so now people can sneak liquor into the stadium in a plastic container), to metal detectors that remind me that I have keys and coins in my pockets.

Good decision OBD. You have just taken a step backwards in dealing with the out of control drinking at the staidum.

Edited by LabattBlue

Try being under there at halftime trying to get to a concession stand, restroom, or to the exterior walkway of the stadium. Human gridlock, and no, it is not for a few seconds. Who said it was fine 20 years ago?

Typical TSW MO...completely disregard the financial impact of building a new stadium. Just build it! Feel free to explain the "multi-use stadium" part of your post.

About twenty years ago, I left my seat, which was very close to a ramp exit and by the time I used the facilities and picked up a couple beers, I missed 5 minutes (game clock) of the 3rd quarter.

Just sayin'

Yes!!! Thank god for the metal detectors. I wouldn't have know I had two quarters in my pocket. <_< They went from pat downs(so now people can sneak liquor into the stadium in a plastic container), to metal detectors that remind me that I have keys and coins in my pockets.

Good decision OBD. You have just taken a step backwards in dealing with the out of control drinking at the staidum.

I had bottled water in my pocket yesterday, and only took some coins and my cell out. Other pockets had non-metallic stuff. . No problem.

I could have brought a pint of brandy in!

Although there are things I've complained about above, there is still nothing like being there. I don't care about my high def TV, etc. with red zone.............It's either you want that communal experience and having a blast with your friends (that you've had seasons with for 27 years) or you don't. I do.

And, I was jealous seeing the people on TV today.

Nothing compares to being there.

I'm getting old. Would like to see hand railings on the stairs and more leg room. Just my feeling.

As many know, I have MS. No handrails is a challenge.

• 1 month later...

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121115/CITYANDREGION/121119470/two-bills-drive-1004#LPFWLP_S

Stadium concrete is not all that bad, and expected costs for it are about $4M-5M, and would. be structurally sound for another 10-15 years.

I've gotta agree with WotaGuy's post above that it's crazy for this franchise, and especially this ownership situation, to try to keep up with the (Jerry) Jones' of the league.

There are some light repairs and additions that can be made --- portable bathroom units? Handrails, as suggested.... but does the county/team really have to spend 1/4 of the cost of an entirely new stadium so it remains habitable until the next owner? Seriously, 96 year olds don't remodel their houses. They're not going to recoup the money spent, and the next owner is just going to rip out the flooring and cabinets anyway, even if it's new, so they can put in what *they* want.

Make necessary repairs for safety. But let the next owner decide what to do. A structural stadium rehab sure the hell isn't going to stop him/her from moving the team if that's the aim, and it'll tie their hands if they actually do want to stay in WNY but want a new stadium as has been posited in Niagra Falls or downtown.

I say... status quo.

The NFL wants the in game experience to be more like your high def etc. experience at home.

For the Ralph, I see three problems:

- Getting in the games is getting worse all the time. It takes forever, and Thursday night, I thought I was going to be like that soccer tragedy in England - I was totally pinned against the gate from the people crushing forward. It was a mess. Something needs to be done to make this faster and easier.

- The friggin bathroom and consession lines have got way way worse over the years. The bathroom in our section got halved on the last renovation, and then they put in individual urinals last year. It takes forever.........I don't know what happened to consession but that takes wayyy more time now.

- Show the replays all time on the board so we can have what people at home have. Access to the interference call or non call etc.!

From my limited experience at the Ralph, I will say they need bigger restrooms, or troughs. The women wait in line forever, and the men just pee in the sinks. If you visit other stadiums, the restrooms are twice the size and about 1/4 more in number than the Ralph. With all the beer consumed there, you would think they would have huge urinals....

You won't get troughs in the men's rooms anymore... We are a pansy nation, everybody needs their "own" space with divider...

Does Concrete really go bad in 40 years? The thing that annoys me the most about the game experience is getting into the lots! If the opening time was 8am instead of 9am I really believe a lot of congestion would be relieved. The traffic isn't bad until you get right outside the stadium and then you lose 30 minutes sitting in traffic while the police are still getting in place to direct traffic.

Does Concrete really go bad in 40 years? The thing that annoys me the most about the game experience is getting into the lots! If the opening time was 8am instead of 9am I really believe a lot of congestion would be relieved. The traffic isn't bad until you get right outside the stadium and then you lose 30 minutes sitting in traffic while the police are still getting in place to direct traffic.

Well you can thank the media in helping out with traffic congestion. Stating that Abbott road is closed between 20 and 20a is and was FALSE. Also the blockade in front of the Ralph has failed.