Why not Naaman Roosevelt in the slot instead of Jones?

ColdBlueNorth

Forgot they moved up in 99, but you know what I mean. They play big schools now, but how many kids get drafted from the University of Buffalo?

I like to see the underdogs get a fair shot is all I meant, and it brings a bit of cred to the program.

He was also 4th in the nation in receptions and yards his junior year.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receptions/year/2008

My opinion on this is this

- The bills really like Donald Jones....not ony because he has a higher ceiling but because he is one of the best BLOCKERS on the team......as far as slot it has been said that Jones really excels in that position.

- A lot has been made of the fact that TJ was inactive last week......well we also ran mulitple TE's and a FB last week against the jets defense.....I thought we would have ran the ball a little more because of it and was fooled by that.....but I thought the jets were a matchup thing.

- Then you have TJ graham....whos time travel speed has been a pleasant suprise through camp...but becuase he is 6' 220 pounds and is only 5'11 190 pounds people keep lumping him in with Roscoe Parrish abilityes.......TJ is NOT roscoe....he is an outside receiver more in the mold of a young Lee Evans.

TJ needs to be playing......if they are not going to bring in a veteran speed wideout to run coverage deep...then TJ needs to be playing.

And i will take this one step further.....David Nelson is a free agent next year...and it is my guess that since we have Levite and Byrd to sign they would really like to see Donald Jones nail down that slot wr position so they can get TJ in there as the flanker.....and use that money on Byrd and Levitre.

Just my opinion.

Naaman continues to get cut but the team with argueably the worst set of WR's in the league. No other team picks him up and gives him a chance, yet people continue to push for him to play on Sunday. I just don't get it, what have you seen that makes you think he'll succeed?

Its because he went to UB. If Roosie went to Montana St, no one here would even remember his name, nor would they care that he's once again out of the NFL.

As for Donald Jones, he's plain garbage. He should go the way of roosie. Guy doesn't belong any higher than 5th or 6th on any NFL depth chart. No Bills WR outside of Stevie, TJ, and Nelson is worth a damn.

In all seriousness I would rather have Roscoe back in the slot than either Jones or Roosevelt. I liek the idea of Graham on the outside to stretch the defense. Just don't give him any option routes. Make it simple. Go patterns or 12 yard stop routes mixed in with an occasional deep in route.

OK, I'll play.

Back at ya, what have you seen that indicates that he cannot cut it out there?

I know that he went to U-Buf and was not a Division I player, but I have seen too many players (like Fred Jackson for instance) not given a real shot because of their school pedigree.

I'll return volley - at a pedestrian 6ft flat and 200 lbs he runs a 4.6+ 40.

Jones, at the same size (a bit heavier even) ran a 4.46

He's also a small school guy, in fact not from an FBS school. He's also been kept to start twice now.... So small school bias from the coach seems bunk.

Besides being a UB guy, I'm not sure why Roosevelt is such a favorite.

Edited by NoSaint

Why not Pete Best instead of Ringo?

]because. you fool.

It's obvious how the world turns.

Ringo got the chicks to go- go.

short term satisfaction was the deciding factor, because Pete was on the practice squad for two years you got a cushion. although Ringo long term did surprise. and still scores the touchdowns. not pretty but he gets in when in or near the red zone

@ColdBlueNorth, I think you'd be surprised how many UB players are in the NFL right now. Trevor Scott NE, James Starks GB, Jeff Saturday IND. It's not like they don't get Combine invites. It ain't Alabama but it ain't dog doo either.

PTR

That is good news. The University of Minnesota Gophers are the local college team I like to follow, but they have not shown much the last decade and have not had too many kids go on to the next level - the last two were Decker WR Denver and they had a linebacker Triplett that was taken by the Vikings in 2010.

If I were a betting man (well, I am) I would say the main reason Jones is in the slot over Naaman, Roscoe, or anyone else, is that they love his ability to block. It's no secret that they were trying to get Nelson up to speed on blocking this summer and use his size to put him as a bit of a tight end type to get mismatches. In fact, that's how he got injured early in camp, in blocking drills.

So, on top of the fact that they love Jones blocking and the fact that he knows the entire playbook, the others simply can't do what the Bills expect out of their "slot" receiver, which as Pat Kirwan gushed about during TC, is actually more of a second TE than your every day definition of a "slot" receiver. Think David Nelson, not Wes Welker and definitely not Naaman.

@ColdBlueNorth, I think you'd be surprised how many UB players are in the NFL right now. Trevor Scott NE, James Starks GB, Jeff Saturday IND. It's not like they don't get Combine invites. It ain't Alabama but it ain't dog doo either.

PTR

Saturday went to North Carolina