David Nelson torn ACL- Out for year

BRAWNDO

Chan said today on WGR that there is no one out there that knows the plays better than the players they have i.e. Why bring in someone else who doesn't know the plays and that we haven't already picked up.

The Bills will dance with the girls they came with.

The offense is now in CJ's hands.

Gailey makes his "system" out to be so complex. If that's the case, why are opponents so rarely fooled by it?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gailey makes his "system" out to be so complex. If that's the case, why are opponents so rarely fooled by it?

Complete BS. The reason Fitz is getting paid what he does is solely because of his system. It's the reason SJ is getting paid and FJax having career season. It's a very good offense that is limited because we have a limited QB. If RG3 or Luck was triggering our offense, this would be a very tough offense to defend.

Thank you! So a receiver that knows the system, but basically stinks, is better than a wide receiver with talent (Branch, Burress), that will have to learn on the fly? Not sure I buy that one. Best of luck on the rehab Mr. Nelson.

Heck, they brought in Merriman, why throw away the millions that Ralph finally spent already. Bring him in, can it really hurt at this point? The season is on the verge of floating down the toilet after one game, at least try to salvage it for a proven guy, with post season experience who will come at basically the minium salary.

For some reason, they're apparently scared of shooting themselves in the foot.

BA

Thank you! So a receiver that knows the system, but basically stinks, is better than a wide receiver with talent (Branch, Burress), that will have to learn on the fly? Not sure I buy that one. Best of luck on the rehab Mr. Nelson.

If those guys are so good, why aren't they signed by any of the other 32 teams? This isn't 5 years ago. Every year you play in the NFL, you are less valuable. If this is Burress on the Giants and Branch on the Pats for his 1st stint, sign me up. But players normally don't get better after they turn 30.

Complete BS. The reason Fitz is getting paid what he does is solely because of his system. It's the reason SJ is getting paid and FJax having career season. It's a very good offense that is limited because we have a limited QB. If RG3 or Luck was triggering our offense, this would be a very tough offense to defend.

So Fitz is getting paid what he is because of a system that he is not fit to run? So is it the FO that has failed us?

If those guys are so good, why aren't they signed by any of the other 32 teams? This isn't 5 years ago. Every year you play in the NFL, you are less valuable. If this is Burress on the Giants and Branch on the Pats for his 1st stint, sign me up. But players normally don't get better after they turn 30.

Randy Moss looked pretty damn good yesterday. And "nobody wanted him" either, save San Fran. Not bad for a 35-year-old, I'd say.

BA

I'm not saying either turns the Bills into Super Bowl contenders, but I feel that yes, even on the wrong side of 30, they are a better option than Easley, Naaman, and the like.

Randy Moss looked pretty damn good yesterday. And "nobody wanted him" either, save San Fran. Not bad for a 35-year-old, I'd say.

BA

He had the same stats as Donald Jones. Trust me, I won't care if we took a chance on those "name" guys but I think people just hang onto the name too much. The reason the Fins gave up on 85 so quick is because he's not that good anymore. The same with Branch in NE. And Burress struggles to get separation and is basically a skinny TE at this stage of his career.

So who do you think is better - guys like Branch, Gaffney or Burress, or Ruvell Martin, his ST prowess (LOL) notwithstanding? This team needs fewer Ruvell Martins and Tashard Choices, and more talented players.

Reminds me of the Fred Jackson extension...

So who do you think is better - guys like Branch, Gaffney or Burress, or Ruvell Martin, his ST prowess (LOL) notwithstanding? This team needs fewer Ruvell Martins and Tashard Choices, and more talented players.

Reminds me of the Fred Jackson extension...

I don't have all the names but I'm sure there are some lesser names guys on the market who are better than Branch and Burress at this stage of their career. Look at Lee Evans. Players get old and the .1 or .2 drop in speed is the difference between getting open and being covered.

maybe Yancey Thigpen or Ernie Mills are available. They might remember "The System"

I don't have all the names but I'm sure there are some lesser names guys on the market who are better than Branch and Burress at this stage of their career. Look at Lee Evans. Players get old and the .1 or .2 drop in speed is the difference between getting open and being covered.

There very well might be better WRs on the market. My point is, Gailey seems to tied to people who know his system (e.g. Martin, Choice) - it can't be that hard to pick up on the fly...it's not like we're dealing with rocket science.

maybe Yancey Thigpen or Ernie Mills are available. They might remember "The System"

There very well might be better WRs on the market. My point is, Gailey seems to tied to people who know his system (e.g. Martin, Choice) - it can't be that hard to pick up on the fly...it's not like we're dealing with rocket science.

Martin's on because of STs. But you are right that he's very loyal to Choice. I agree you should get the best player available but it is hard for guys to come in during hte season and make an impact. It's why you rarely see trades in season.

He had the same stats as Donald Jones. Trust me, I won't care if we took a chance on those "name" guys but I think people just hang onto the name too much. The reason the Fins gave up on 85 so quick is because he's not that good anymore. The same with Branch in NE. And Burress struggles to get separation and is basically a skinny TE at this stage of his career.

Moss had more of an impact than Donald Jones, stats are not the entire story. I.E. Moss did not play in "garbage" time with the defense giving up. Also, a certain Manning that many believed was past his "prime" played pretty well against the #1 D last night.

Agreed. Also, our current WR's can't get any separation.

Am I the only one who thought Plaxico looked great against the Bills at the Ralph last year?

Plax has the same height as Nelson and is a good red zone target. Why not sign him for a year?

He won't come here, Erie County won't give him a pistol permit!

Where is Roosevelt?

I'm really upset about this, we all wanted a injury free season, and it was obvious that Nix didnt go get a WR in free agency as he was expecting Nelson, Jones, Johnson and a little bit of Graham to be good enough.

I'm upset about:

1) He was my favourite Wide Receiver, now that Naaman is gone. He is clutch and critical on big time plays

2) This is another reason Nix has screwed up, started the season with only four full time wideouts. And one of them was a rookie. Brooks goes on IR so he brings back Ruvell Martin. I get Martin can play Special Teams but he has rocks for hands. Why wouldnt you sign a Wide Receiver in FA or at least keep Hagan or Roosevelt who know the system to be depth for this team

I'd take Burress and Branch. It's only a veteran minimum/non-guaranteed contract after week 1, They can't seriously think they will be OK just by sticking Graham in there, Just this morning Chan said he wasn't ready and had more learnin to do. Another injury and they would be totally decimated at WR, With Fitz not exactly looking even adequate right now, they need a veteran WR.

I can't get that worked up about losing Nelson. To call his loss "devastating", or a "crippling blow" seems a bit over dramatic, considering how nondescript the WR corps (aside from SJ) is. I guess Nelson is a tad better than Donald Jones, but if the team was placing that much hope for a potent offense in Donald Nelson, the offense was already in trouble. Looks to me like the passing game was gonna suck, with or without Nelson.

I can't get that worked up about losing Nelson. To call his loss "devastating", or a "crippling blow" seems a bit over dramatic, considering how nondescript the WR corps (aside from SJ) is. I guess Nelson is a tad better than Donald Jones, but if the team was placing that much hope for a potent offense in Donald Nelson, the offense was already in trouble. Looks to me like the passing game was gonna suck, with or without Nelson.

That's the problem Chan and Buddy not getting any other wideouts, we were forced to put our hope into SJ and Nelson with Jones to help them out. Incredible poor management by the GM

That's the problem Chan and Buddy not getting any other wideouts, we were forced to put our hope into SJ and Nelson with Jones to help them out. Incredible poor management by the GM

Maybe, but who? They tried Meachem. Who was available that wasn't just another mediocre guy? The team had serious holes to fill, and they tried to upgrade as many as they could. I like the off-season moves by ChaNix, it's the other aspects that seem to be failing. The coaching, game preparation, etc.

The Bills could have Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, and the passing game would still suck. It's the QB. A top flight QB can work with mediocre receivers, but a bad QB just sucks. Deion Branch would s*** the bed with Fitz as his QB. Donald Jones would be a top 15 WR with Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning throwing him the rock.

Wringing your hands over a replacement for Nelson is just ignoring the elephant in the room.

I expect Fitz will have some big games this year (geez, I hope he can at least be inconsistent!), but I finally accept that he can't lead them to the promised land.