Jim Kelly in studio with Mike and Mike right now

Nothing ground breakig so far:

He is plugging his book "The Playbook for Dads"

Said team that makes the in-game adjustemnts the best will win Bills/Jets game

Said good rookies in league shows that there are a lot of not very good QB's in NFL right now

Said teams need good passing game and solid D to win Championships

pretty lite segment.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

I would disagree with Jim on the QBs thing. Seems to me the QBs are possibly better than they've ever been.

Brady

Manning

Manning

Rothlisberger

Brees

Rivers

Newton

Luck

Schaub

Romo

Ryan

That's pretty close to 50% of the QBs being elite enough that Jim wouldn't even be on that list during his days. Heck, even Fitz threw right around Jims career year stats last year.

It's another topic I guess, just wanted to stress my dissagreement with the HOFer.

Thanks BBIA. Any other info?

I would disagree with Jim on the QBs thing. Seems to me the QBs are possibly better than they've ever been.

That's pretty close to 50% of the QBs being elite enough that Jim wouldn't even be on that list during his days. Heck, even Fitz threw right around Jims career year stats last year.

It's another topic I guess, just wanted to stress my dissagreement with the HOFer.

To be fair, he did say that teams are throwing the ball a lot more and because of this, teams can no longer win Championships by just running the ball and playing solid Defense.

Brady

Manning

Manning

Rothlisberger

Brees

Rivers

Newton

Luck

Schaub

Romo

Ryan

There's elite:

Brady

Brees

Rogers

P. Manning if he can return to form

then good to very good would be most of the rest of the guys on your list.

Brady

Manning

Manning

Rothlisberger

Brees

Rivers

Newton

Luck

Schaub

Romo

Ryan

This is bewildering. It's impossible to compare passing numbers from 20 years ago--- the NFL has evolved into a different animal and the stats get gaudier every year. If Fitz' numbers are in any way equivalent to Jimbo's then WR Derrick Mason and his 943 career receptions should one day be in the Hall of Fame.

Edited by Punch

Said good rookies in league shows that there are a lot of not very good QB's in NFL right now

pretty lite segment.

I agree with mrags. There are always "a lot of not very good QB's in the NFL"--especially back in ol Jim's day:

Jim Everett

Ken O'Brien

Jim Harbaugh

Chris Miller

Berni Kosar

Mark Rypien

And those were guys in the top 10 in '91.

Then of course, there was the rest:

Steve Deberg

Erik Kramer

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Mike Tomczak

Hugh Millen

Jeff George

Booby Hebert

Dave Krieg

John Friez

Steve Walsh....

Throw in the other mediocre guys like Hostetler, McMahon, Testaverde, O'Donnell... well, you get the picture.

Jim's glory days cloud his memory.

Thanks Weo. You seem to be the only one not sucking on the Popsicle stick here.

Another way to look at it would be HOF QBs playing right now.

Manning

Manning

Brady

Roethlisberger

Rogers

Brees

That's six that are pretty much shoe ins for the Hall based on statistics and SB wins alone.

Jim had

Jim

Marino

Montana

Young

Farve (could actually be under both catagories)

Aikman

at the least it's about the same and we probably have much better 2nd tier guys now than they did back in the day. Your Rivers, Ryans, Flaccos, Lucks, Newtons, Daltons, Staffords, Vicks are probably all better than most of yesteryear.

I'm not saying Jim and his class of QBs was netter or worse but at the very least it's about the same amount as when he played. Which makes his comments commical.

1. Brady - elite

1. Manning - eli is elite

2. Manning - peyton is a wait and see at this point

2. Rothlisberger - borders on elite

1. Brees - elite

3. Rivers - lower on the rung than roethlisberger i'll say very good but not elite

3. Newton - on his way to elite

3. Luck - not even a snap yet may be eventually but there will be growing pains

4. Schaub - not close to elite - to injured but good when healthy

4. Romo - not elite good numbers until december

3. Ryan - not elite good numbers until january

the numbers I pit by the qbs are the tiers I would place them in. In Jim's heyday for elite there were Montana, Young, Marino, Himself, Aikman, and Moon. I would say it's very comparable not the gap he implied.

edit: just saw your post above and think you framed it very well but don't forget about Warren Moon he def has to be in your elite category.

Edited by section122

That's pretty close to 50% of the QBs being elite enough that Jim wouldn't even be on that list during his days.

Nothing personal, but I stopped reading after this.

Jim would have been on any elite list in any era. Period.

Thanks Weo. You seem to be the only one not sucking on the Popsicle stick here.

Another way to look at it would be HOF QBs playing right now.

Manning

Manning

Brady

Roethlisberger

Rogers

Brees

That's six that are pretty much shoe ins for the Hall based on statistics and SB wins alone.

Jim had

Jim

Marino

Montana

Young

Farve (could actually be under both catagories)

Aikman

at the least it's about the same and we probably have much better 2nd tier guys now than they did back in the day. Your Rivers, Ryans, Flaccos, Lucks, Newtons, Daltons, Staffords, Vicks are probably all better than most of yesteryear.

I'm not saying Jim and his class of QBs was netter or worse but at the very least it's about the same amount as when he played. Which makes his comments commical.

i would say it is much harder to hide bad qb play these days. hence guys have to chase the next thing a bit harder and rookies are getting more shots.... But even that's likely exaggerated.

It's also missing guys like Elway, and moon on your list, but generally I do agree with what your saying

Edited by NoSaint

pretty lite segment.

Actually I listed to the interview and he didn't say there are not a lot of good QBs in the NFL right now. He said that back in his days they NFL was looking for pocket passers like himself, nowadays they are looking for the more mobile running QBs which the college systems more readily prepares them for. After that he jokingly said (at least it sounding jokingly) that if it wasn't the previous situation then there aren't many good QBs in the league right now.

I agree with mrags. There are always "a lot of not very good QB's in the NFL"--especially back in ol Jim's day:

Jim Everett

Ken O'Brien

Jim Harbaugh

Chris Miller

Berni Kosar

Mark Rypien

And those were guys in the top 10 in '91.

Then of course, there was the rest:

Steve Deberg

Erik Kramer

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Mike Tomczak

Hugh Millen

Jeff George

Booby Hebert

Dave Krieg

John Friez

Steve Walsh....

Throw in the other mediocre guys like Hostetler, McMahon, Testaverde, O'Donnell... well, you get the picture.

Jim's glory days cloud his memory.

Your point is well taken, but Kosar, Miller, Everett and Rypien all played at very high levels for a few years...Ryp was kind a one year phenom (not bad!), Miller was terrific, but got injured one too many times...Everett, IIRC was MVP, or runner up for one year, and had 3 other really good years, before he started hearing footsteps...and Bernie K was awesome...but he too broke down.

Actually I listed to the interview and he didn't say there are not a lot of good QBs in the NFL right now. He said that back in his days they NFL was looking for pocket passers like himself, nowadays they are looking for the more mobile running QBs which the college systems more readily prepares them for. After that he jokingly said (at least it sounding jokingly) that if it wasn't the previous situation then there aren't many good QBs in the league right now.

As Paul Harvey would say: "And now, you know the rest of the story!" :P

Ahh, so you mean concepts like "taken out of context" and "accurate reporting" apply to the story? Classic. I'm sure all of the guys taking shots at Kelly in this thread will chime right in with their apologies. Or not.

Nah, not really. They are looking for Andrew Luck. Less so for RG3. They may run occasionally, but the prototypical NFL QB is still Rodgers/Brady/both Mannings/Rivers/Big Ben. Brees is the only one who runs around more than a little bit, but he's no Mike Vick.

So Kelly's still not making any sense. Sorry eball.