Four WRs?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Gailey wants to run and run often. I hope so, because Fitz isn't exactly Tom Brady.

We saw Gailey running a good amount of two TE sets with Chandler and Smith on the field this pre-season. I would not be suprised to see a more run oriented offense this year.

I think sometime between now and Sept 9th either Tavaraus Jackson or Tyler Thipen will be cut freeing up another spot As long as they are cut prior to game 1 they don't qualify for the full years pay, so then like you bring back another WR. It also may be they plan to do some special things with Dorin Dickerson that would line him up outside too. I also doubt John Potter will last the full year unless the team stays very healthy. At some point, they likely will need that roster spot.

it would help if you're attempting to make a point in regard to the backup qb that you spelled one of the players' names correctly. i mean, seriously? how tough can it be. Tarvaris. Thigpen. as for your assumption on this, i would stake claim that both are on the roster come the Jets game.

jw

We beat ourselves up on this board determining who stays at WR, evidently we where all wrong in the fact they where canning all WR's under debate. Perhaps Chan feels we are better by spreading CJ or Freddy outwide than we are to have kept any of those wideouts or we are going to see some formations with corey mac finally.

We beat ourselves up on this board determining who stays at WR, evidently we where all wrong in the fact they where canning all WR's under debate. Perhaps Chan feels we are better by spreading CJ or Freddy outwide than we are to have kept any of those wideouts or we are going to see some formations with corey mac finally.

Also Brad Smith is a WR more so than a QB.

Last year we started the season with 5 WRs (not counting Smith) and ended up getting Smith on the field as a WR as well as some street free agents.

Yet this year we're only keeping 4 WRs which is really surprising to me.

Gailey likes to throw the ball, likes to use crossing routes and likes 4 WR sets. So there's going to be some injuries. And players do need to be rested some time. It seems unlikely we'll get through the season with just Johnson, Jones, Nelson and TJ playing wideout.

Does this mean we can expect to see CJ more at wideout?

Does Chan & Nix think we can pick up a FA WR better than the ones we cut?

Is Chan planning on using less 4 WR sets this year and maybe run the ball more?

What do you guys think???

With keeping Dickerson they might be (hopefully) using the TE position more.

it would help if you're attempting to make a point in regard to the backup qb that you spelled one of the players' names correctly. i mean, seriously? how tough can it be. Tarvaris. Thigpen. as for your assumption on this, i would stake claim that both are on the roster come the Jets game.

jw

Leave it to the writer to police the writing, wait you are a writer, never mind.

Here's some magic math guys

3 qbs (fitz, TT, Tjack)

5 wrs (sj, DJ, tj, Dn, bs)

Brad smith isnt real qb depth. It's not that hard.

Thigpen was competing for the 53 spot with a 6th wr or a variety of other positions. He wins because fitz could break a leg 3 plays in, while if a receiver goes down we can still run cj, or chandler, or any number of guys on pass routes. The same couldnt be said for qb2.

This. IMO to them smith is a WR more than anything now.

Joe B at GR actually did a good job breaking down the cuts, and I keyed into Roosevelt, who I kind of liked for sentimental reasons (Buffalo native, '08 MAC Champion Bulls). To a lesser extent, Hagan too, who I thought showed flashes during the preseason. Aiken never distinguished himself; Martin was only there for ST and a liability as a pass-catcher; Easley can be stashed on the PS if he survives waivers. So the only WR I thought was worth keeping was Roosevelt.

Again my only concern is like last year, when Avion Black, Justin Armour and Reggie Germany were being brought in for workouts because our WRs were dropping like flies (Parrish and Jones, for two, and then SJ13's nagging injury). Then again, it's easier to get a FA WR up to speed instead of picking up an LB or a DB who needs to know the playbook a little more in depth, so while only 4 (Brad Smith - ~5) seems a bit unorthodox, it's easily justified.

Last year we started the season with 5 WRs (not counting Smith) and ended up getting Smith on the field as a WR as well as some street free agents.

Gailey likes to throw the ball, likes to use crossing routes and likes 4 WR sets. So there's going to be some injuries. And players do need to be rested some time. It seems unlikely we'll get through the season with just Johnson, Jones, Nelson and TJ playing wideout.

Call me whatever you want after reading my response.

I have a hunch we will release Thigpen after the JETS game. Maybe we kept him around with the idea of blocking the JETS from picking him up prior to game 1. JETS realize opening day is huge vs the Bills. JETS have been known to rent players for a few weeks.

Having 4 WR's on the roster I don't think is a big deal, not at this point in the season. If we review last year, how often did we actually have 4 WR's on the field? A combo of 2 out of CJ, Chandler, Dickerson will most probably be on the field if we go 5 wide. Another suspicion I have is I don't think we will go 5 wide a lot until Eric Wood is 100% both physically and mentally. I think Eric being rusty in the pre season with blitz pick up calls led to the blitzing Fitz had trouble with when we went 5 wide in pre season.

Regardless, I am not convinced Buddy and Whaley are not kicking the tires to bring another WR off waivers or even trade.

I am suspicious that we will be keeping thigpen longer than expected. Not saying we will, but saying its possible that he is a longterm qb3 this season. (even if smith dresses as qb3 on some game days).

When someone reminds me of what quarter brad smith played qb in the preseason, or even drives, I'll accept counting him in the qb room.

I think the idea of having more than 4 receivers is if one gets dinged up you have another to toss into the game. If I am a defense and one reciever goes out, we are looking to take one or two more out.

Careful - Goodell might be monitoring these boards.

I think Gailey has yet to show his strategery or if it's even in place yet. But i like the run the ball theory a lot.

We saw this strategy before Fred got hurt. He was first in the league for a while. In preseason we saw a lot of passing because Gailey was auditioning receivers and linemen on offense. We will be 55%_60% run by the end of the season.

We saw this strategy before Fred got hurt. He was first in the league for a while. In preseason we saw a lot of passing because Gailey was auditioning receivers and linemen on offense. We will be 55%_60% run by the end of the season.

Very few teams break 50. 55 would be considered among the highest in the nfl. 60 would be a huuuuuuge skew towards running. Denver was at 55 last year and only Houston even got to 50-50.

In 2010 only 2 teams rushed over 50%, kc at 52% led the league and jax at 51% was second.

Edited by NoSaint

:lol: I doubt that. Probably the reverse is more accurate.

Can somebody please confirm the salary implications of cutting Thigpen after the Jets game? My understanding is that he gets his full salary if he's on the roster opening day and it's a good chunk of change, so why would they cut him after one game?