Roosevelt vs Martin (vs Easley)

Nice topic. It's been hammered so much this offseason but with the 3rd and most important pre season game coming up, it really is important to be paying attention this week. There will be some offensive plays in 5 wides this week where everyone gets a chance to go up against quality defenders. We all need to be watching carefully.

Personally I thought Aiken was in the mix. Most people here disagree. I'll take that more as me not having seen enough. The numbers are very much against me here. For the rest of your list, I think your right. I'm on the same fence about Roosevelt vs Martin. It's a very solid WR prospect vs a very good STer IMO. Part of me really wants Roosevelt but if Martin is really that good (which I think he is) then it's really tough not to take him. It's almost a given that DeHaven will get some toys and this is a call that he probably makes. I still hope it's the hometown guy tho.

You're not alone. I like Aiken...a lot. Reminds me of SJ13, those first couple seasons waiting behind the scene. Potter makes Martin expendable. Who needs coverage when you boot the ball through the endzone every time?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday on WGR Joe B stated that he wouldn't be surprised if they keep only 5 WRs and Brad Smith as their 6th. Meaning all three get cut.

I also think that is the way they are gonna go......

Ruvell Martin is not a great receiver.....and they are gonna want to kee that kid Potter who will nulify kickoff returns anyway

Roosevelt.....the kid catches everything.....but there is just something about him I dont like.....too slow maybe? And he takes a big hit over the middle then hes out.......

Kamar Aiken goes back to practice squad...he isnt ready yet

And my great WR hope for the offseason.....Marcus Easley. I am just sad this happened because his speed, size, big play potential measurables are just so good.....but it might just be that injuries have caused him to miss his window. I wish him well. In all honest.....Hagan is everything I wanted from Easley and maybe he has found a home in Buffalo.

TJ Graham is the guys to look out for out of this group next to Stevie........he is much better at this time of year then I thought he was gonna be.

Martin for special teams I don't think get him on the team this year. We drafted guys LB's and DB's that are at least as good at the gunner spot and they may stick over another reciever at gunner. I Think it's between Roosevelt and Easley for the last spot .

I see Roosevelt as the least likely to be signed by any other team. He's small and not fast. His major value to the Bills is that he has been in the system for years. He does not bring that value to any other team. The Pats like small guys but they are always fast. Roosevelt is also fairly redundant to Jones who is also smallish (but not as small) and is also not fast. Roosevelt essentially expands the Bills roster to 54 players since he is un-signable by any other GM. He can be (and has been over and over) exposed to free agency whenever convenient for the Bills. Easley and Aiken with substantial upsides as big physical targets are much more likely to be signed by other teams.

Wes Welker is not exactly a speedster…he only ran a 4.61 at his pro day…but he’s always open and catches everything near him (except for in the Super Bowl :nana: ). Roosevelt kind of reminds me a little of him and Wayne Chrebet. They may not have the measurables but they are football players who get the job done when called upon. I’d rather have Roosevelt over Hagan.

From a different thread the other day

I agree with both of you, I hope the FO realizes that he is better than Choice or White and keeps 6WRs, (they could always use Corey Mac as a RB or Brad smith or use Smith and Dorin as HBs in passing situations if one or both CJ and FJ go down for a game and it may even work!) he may even be better than Hagan.

I know it seems Homeristic to say the home town boy who is a bit slow and doesn't show up as much against some of the better opponents should stick but it is more than that at least with me. He is a proven route runner and has good hands, plus he makes good catches, to me he would be best in the slot.

I think the best players should make the roster, the ones who have shown up in games. Last weeks 60 yards, 6 catches and last years performances show Naaman shows up and he is young enough that he should still be getting better. I hope he gets that chance with this team. I don't think that if he is cut he will be sitting at home waiting for a call this year, some one else will pick him up and I hope it is not in our division or conference. I really hope it isn't w/ Brady. He maybe really important to have with the team in December this year on a couple of levels.

1] If the Bills keep Potter, which it seems they are going to, the need for keeping Martin lessens, if his true value is that of a KO and P gunner.

2] Joe B reported today that he called an NFL rep just to make sure that Easley was not PS eligible and the guy told him straight out that Easley WAS eligible for the PS, which makes me believe strongly that they keep 5 WR and Easley on the PS (unless someone signs him) or unless they just decide that Aiken could be better, which i doubt.

I think Hagan's slump has had a lot to do with him not getting any footballs he can catch. I'd think if Roosevelt gets cut, someone would pick him up. He's having a great pre season. And he's played well in the past.

I don't think Martin is that bad of a WR. He made some good catches in the last Patsies game and has been solid in pre season. And you got the kicking teams bonus with him as well.

But Roosevelt has played really well. And he does kicking teams too I believe.

Reading this stuff is depressing. Stevie is the real deal. Nelson is decent for his role, as is Chandler. After that, unless Graham pans out, there is only waiver wire fodder. Next year's priorities at the draft will be LB and WR, assuming our QB makes it happen in his last chance to make it happen.

Roosevelt if they go six. Aiken still can get PS right?

Hagan is in.

Session also to PS.

Martin will move on with Clowney and easily. i am guessing.

"Next year's priorities at the draft will be LB and WR," good call mr Kemp

Edited by 3rdand12

Reading this stuff is depressing. Stevie is the real deal. Nelson is decent for his role, as is Chandler. After that, unless Graham pans out, there is only waiver wire fodder. Next year's priorities at the draft will be LB and WR, assuming our QB makes it happen in his last chance to make it happen.

You act like every other team has all pros st every position. They can't all be #1 overall picks like Victor Cruz. ;)

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I would rather keep Easley over Jones. Jones doesn't have the size or speed that Easley has, plus Easley has better hands from what I've seen so far.

I just never understood why Jones was so highly rated. I mean, it's not like he's bad, but he doesn't have a "quality" that makes him stick out. Stevie is clearly #1. Graham has serious speed. Nelson and Chandler are the big targets (who also consistently catch the ball). Beyond that, the only ones you can say something truly distinct about are Roosevelt (hands like glue), Martin (ST, but possibly redundant if Potter kicks), and maybe Hagan, though I haven't quite figured out what it is that sets Hagan apart (but I do believe there is something there, I just can't pin it down). Of course, there is no way Jones is going anywhere, but, if it were me, I'd keep Stevie, TJ, Nelson, Roosevelt, and either Jones or Hagan. I'd try to get Aiken onto the PS. It totally makes me sound like a homer, but I really would be disappointed if Roosevelt doesn't make it. I hate the argument that he's small and slow. A lot of guys are small and slow as many posters have pointed out. But Fitz summed it up in that article pretty well. Roosevelt's always there and he always catches it! He's reliable! In fact, he's really what I'd call a true possession receiver. Why cut that?

Yesterday on WGR Joe B stated that he wouldn't be surprised if they keep only 5 WRs and Brad Smith as their 6th. Meaning all three get cut.

I think this is what happens. I don't think Smith can be great, but if he practiced more at WR I think he's a nice asset to have as the 6th WR. Good size for the redzone.

You're not alone. I like Aiken...a lot. Reminds me of SJ13, those first couple seasons waiting behind the scene. Potter makes Martin expendable. Who needs coverage when you boot the ball through the endzone every time?

So, is there a link or something that Potter has made the team already? That's just amazing armchair Gm'ing.