Russell Wilson to start Friday

That's all I hear. And rocket arm. Add two inches and put him top 5. What are the pros and cons vs his now elite peers.... Or are we saying with 2 inches he's as safe a bet and a once a generation qb like luck and manning with no holes?

That's the thing. I didn't pay all that much attention to him even though every time I saw him he played very well. I was just figuring like 99% of these guys, it's not fair to them but they just can't do it in the NFL. Then when I started researching him, and watching as much as I could, and hearing what other people I trusted said, I thought he had a good chance. I still, IIRC, was saying maybe third round, only because I thought he would be a back-up for a couple years behind Fitz.

But for what I personally consider the most important elements of being an NFL QB, the only minus against him is height. He's not even slight. And usually I see the deficiencies in those guys. I never wanted anything to do with Colt McCoy or Kellen Moore or any of the short guys of the last several years. But this guy was a different animal when you spent a lot of time watching him. He just has a knack, like Brees, of finding lanes to throw in. He's a very good runner. He's a very good leader and great guy. Everybody gushes about him. He's humble. He's accurate. He throws well short and long. He can throw the long out. He's tough and smart and a student of the game. Whenever I watched him, his one fault never was a factor. He always saw the field and rarely did his height affect any play. He was a winner.

The thing that really separates him though is he has a cannon, and quick release, and is accurate, and can throw on the run as well as in the pocket. It's quite a package. And I would imagine that yes, if he were 3 inches taller he would have been thought of in the Luck and Griffin class.

I could be wrong. I have been before. But this guy has it all, except height, and if his height does not become a consistent factor, I think he becomes a star. It remains to be seen. There is no question about it. And just because he does it in pre-season does not at all mean he is going to do it in regular season. But to me, there is nothing in his game that would suggest it won't.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was all behind picking him and am happy for my "local" team that they made the smart choice to pick Russell. Todays game was more proof that he is legit. I'm excited to see him play when it matters

I was all behind picking him and am happy for my "local" team that they made the smart choice to pick Russell. Todays game was more proof that he is legit. I'm excited to see him play when it matters

The question is, will you be excited to see him play after a game that matters

Looks like Russell Wilson is going to win the starting QB job in Seattle , I believe we did make a huge mistake not grapping him in the 3rd round. I think he will be in the Doug Fluite mold (winner) with a stronger arm and 2 inchs taller.

I do like Fritz but did we see his ceiling last year in the spread 3 and 5 step drop short crossing routes?

Let's hope not.

Go Bills and go Fitz deep to TJ!

Lets see Graham or Wilson :unsure: lets see WR or QB ... yep QB :wallbash:

The thing about Wilson, though, is that it was pretty obvious that he has a first round brain, first round motivation, first round arm, first round accuracy, first round success as a starter, etc, etc, etc. The only knock was his height. Hindsight is 20/20, but considering all of his strengths and the fact that QBs have gone earlier than projected the last couple of drafts, the Bills really should have taken a shot with their 3rd pick. During the Gruden interview, this guy was not only able to talk about the system he ran at Wisconsin, but he was able to discuss in specific detail the system he ran at NC State (or wherever he went before Wisconsin). I'm sorry, but take away the height thing and you just don't get kids who are THIS solid in so many areas coming down the line very often.

It just seemed pretty obvious that he was going to become a significant player in this league, and he's already starting to show flashes. Maybe he'll end up being another failed QB, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

This is what I mean - for a team that doesn't have a sure thing solution to the BIGGEST position of import on a team, to pass on a guy in the 3rd round, who looks to have first round talent, seems to be tempting fate here. If at any time this year, or next, our success or failure comes down to QB, we can look back and know we let a guy go who might very well have helped.

I know - hindsight is 20/20 - but, we're talking about a team that NEEDS a young, talented QB, and this team has NOT drafted one worth developing in years! It's one thing to pass on other positions for need, or for your draft chart - but, QB should have a higher priority WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!

That's the thing. I didn't pay all that much attention to him even though every time I saw him he played very well. I was just figuring like 99% of these guys, it's not fair to them but they just can't do it in the NFL. Then when I started researching him, and watching as much as I could, and hearing what other people I trusted said, I thought he had a good chance. I still, IIRC, was saying maybe third round, only because I thought he would be a back-up for a couple years behind Fitz.

But for what I personally consider the most important elements of being an NFL QB, the only minus against him is height. He's not even slight. And usually I see the deficiencies in those guys. I never wanted anything to do with Colt McCoy or Kellen Moore or any of the short guys of the last several years. But this guy was a different animal when you spent a lot of time watching him. He just has a knack, like Brees, of finding lanes to throw in. He's a very good runner. He's a very good leader and great guy. Everybody gushes about him. He's humble. He's accurate. He throws well short and long. He can throw the long out. He's tough and smart and a student of the game. Whenever I watched him, his one fault never was a factor. He always saw the field and rarely did his height affect any play. He was a winner.

The thing that really separates him though is he has a cannon, and quick release, and is accurate, and can throw on the run as well as in the pocket. It's quite a package. And I would imagine that yes, if he were 3 inches taller he would have been thought of in the Luck and Griffin class.

I could be wrong. I have been before. But this guy has it all, except height, and if his height does not become a consistent factor, I think he becomes a star. It remains to be seen. There is no question about it. And just because he does it in pre-season does not at all mean he is going to do it in regular season. But to me, there is nothing in his game that would suggest it won't.

Kelly, those were my thoughts exactly leading up to the draft. I rarely get obsessed with a player, but I really wanted the Bills to take Wilson - I too think he becomes a star. He has everything except pro height. Seattle made a great pick.

I hear they're already working on Wilson's bust for canton.

It took you three days to think up that response?

Anyway, Wilson is essentially the same height that Vick and Brees are (generously) listed at. GMs who are more worried about how tall he is instead of how he performed over 5 years of college ball aren't very clever perhaps. It should have been clear his "short stature" did nothing to hinder him. Yet they wouldn't hesitate invest a 3rd round pick in a raw WR like TJ "People say I can't catch" Graham.

It took you three days to think up that response?

Anyway, Wilson is essentially the same height that Vick and Brees are (generously) listed at. GMs who are more worried about how tall he is instead of how he performed over 5 years of college ball aren't very clever perhaps. It should have been clear his "short stature" did nothing to hinder him. Yet they wouldn't hesitate invest a 3rd round pick in a raw WR like TJ "People say I can't catch" Graham.

Then why didn't he go higher, like Vick or brees?

Again, even top 5 guys have weaknesses in their games- what would have been his if he were 2-3 inches taller and thrown into that debate?

Or are we arguing he's a once in a decade type player but a touch short, and GMs (like buddy who knows the brees story) decided he wasn't worth a top pick even though it didn't scare teams off those guys who by this threads argument may have been less talented?

I think he does a lot right and has a ton of potential but you'd think that he's got to have some areas to improve his game, no? It just seems no one mentions anything else cause there's such an obvious discussion point.

Edited by NoSaint

This is what I mean - for a team that doesn't have a sure thing solution to the BIGGEST position of import on a team, to pass on a guy in the 3rd round, who looks to have first round talent, seems to be tempting fate here. If at any time this year, or next, our success or failure comes down to QB, we can look back and know we let a guy go who might very well have helped.

I know - hindsight is 20/20 - but, we're talking about a team that NEEDS a young, talented QB, and this team has NOT drafted one worth developing in years! It's one thing to pass on other positions for need, or for your draft chart - but, QB should have a higher priority WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!

I'm with ya...with the premium value on the QB spot, if you have a guy like this sitting there, you gotta take him earlier than you would other positions.

I really hate to put so much stock in the Gruden interview, but it was OBVIOUS that this kid, if nothing else, was TOTALLY worth taking a shot on. Of all the physical tools he has, when his brain was on display it was just a thing of beauty. Gruden is one of the brightest minds in the game and he was just blown away by the kid. The way he answered the questions and seemed to have such a solid grasp on the concepts that were being discussed was really remarkable. You always see young kids promoting themselves and trying to say all the right things, but with Russell it was totally different. There was a level of belief and confidence there that just doesnt exist with many players. The level of sacrfice he was ready to make in order to be a success was very convincing to me, and the minute that show was over I was just dying to draft this guy. He would have been such a good fit for us, especially with the cold weather experience in Wisconsin.

Oh well, nothing we can do about it now...aside from when he plays us, I hope the guy lights it up...he made me want to root for him.

NoSaint, my point wasn't that he should have been taken in the first round or that he can't improve his game. But he was passed over because of his height. As you say, if he was even a few inches taller, he would have been in the discussion with the top drafted QBs based on his actual play. A team that has some questions at QB or even backup could certainly invest a 3rd round pick on a guy like him--certainly more reasonable than reaching up to pick a guy like Graham.

NoSaint, my point wasn't that he should have been taken in the first round or that he can't improve his game. But he was passed over because of his height. As you say, if he was even a few inches taller, he would have been in the discussion with the top drafted QBs based on his actual play. A team that has some questions at QB or even backup could certainly invest a 3rd round pick on a guy like him--certainly more reasonable than reaching up to pick a guy like Graham.

I understand. But if he had those inches and was in that talk - ie throw away the "he's short" one liner. Does he really have no other weakness compared to those guys? No one here seems to think so, which surprises me. If true I think he'd still go higher than he did.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert evaluating qbs (we just don't know enough about the calls, the reads, or what happened out of screen on almost any play to really make anything beyond guesses based on hindsight results), but it seems GMs were worried about some issues if he didn't go as high as other talented short guys.

His sack rate wasn't great last year, for instance. He seemed to like to go backwards and side to side in the pocket and not climb it in some of what I saw. Something drew does extremely well. Interior line play will be especially important for him to develop that (hence the saints invest HEAVILY at guard).

His 3 years at ncst had a high water mark of 59% completions (I saw even less of him there), just throwing around a few other things that might've bumped him back beyond him just being short. Drew Brees for instance was never below 60% as a starter in college. Thaaaat said RW did put up video game numbers last year, and drew barely danced on the right side of 60

Not trying to be a downer but curious to see a more rounded out picture of who he is and how he got to today.

Edited by NoSaint

Then why didn't he go higher, like Vick or brees?

Again, even top 5 guys have weaknesses in their games- what would have been his if he were 2-3 inches taller and thrown into that debate?

Or are we arguing he's a once in a decade type player but a touch short, and GMs (like buddy who knows the brees story) decided he wasn't worth a top pick even though it didn't scare teams off those guys who by this threads argument may have been less talented?

I think he does a lot right and has a ton of potential but you'd think that he's got to have some areas to improve his game, no? It just seems no one mentions anything else cause there's such an obvious discussion point.

I don't think someone needs to be a "once in a decade" talent to better than Fitz. That's my argument.

I don't think someone needs to be a "once in a decade" talent to better than Fitz. That's my argument.

And I'm not talking about fitz. I'm talking about russell Wilson and the idea that height is his only weakness. Obviously he's really talented.

Edited by NoSaint

Wilson played behind a tall O-line at Wisconsin and excelled, yet wasn't taken until the middle of the 3rd. Again while he looked promising, he'll need several seasons of evaluation before we claim bypassing him was a mistake.

NoSaint, I think by saying a bunch of GM's missed the boat, you make the assumption that many teams in the league are in dire need of a QB. After Luck and RGIII were off the board, I'm not sure there were teams in need of using a one or two on the QB position. However, in the third, I'd submit we could have drafted one. I do not think we are set at the position. Obviously the Bills' brain trust figured we were.

I hope Wilson succeeds; seems like a good guy.

But I go back to my post earlier in this thread, which shows how over the last 4 years, there's been no starting QB's produced in rounds 3 or later (unless you count John Skelton).

I can't see how anyone could fault the Bills for not picking Wilson; when you get into the 3rd and beyond, the odds seem extraordinarily slim that you'll land a starting QB.