Thought Experiment...

Lawrence Taylor is my choice. Imagine lining up against 11 LTs on either side of the ball. Like a bunch of crazed daawwgggs!

This was going to be my answer, as well..

Some others to consider: Derrick Thomas - LB - Chiefs, Mike Alstott - FB - Buccs, Ronnie Lott - S - 49ers

Edited by Quester74

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he's not a football player, but I think LeBron has to be considered (as much as I hate him). He's huge and has ungodly speed. I'm sure he'd be a quick learn too. He is the biggest athletic freak of nature in the world in my opinion.

I know he's not a football player, but I think LeBron has to be considered (as much as I hate him). He's huge and has ungodly speed. I'm sure he'd be a quick learn too. He is the biggest athletic freak of nature in the world in my opinion.

Great thinking outside the box. If we can go non-football he may be The choice. Definite freak with an unmatched combo of size speed strength stamina agility and ability.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Doug Flutie

So I could not have to hear any more excuses for what would have happened in that playoff game. He would get smashed to bits in 30 seconds and when he did get a pass off, he would hit himself in the foot instead of hitting Sam Gash in the foot.

We would then get the first pick in the draft and I'd take 53 Rob Johnson's and then I wouldn't have to hear any more about him. He'd all be on the IR by week 3 of the preseason and we would go out and pick up 53 versions of a scrub.

The next year I would take someone versatile enough to have speed strength and savvy. I'm thinking Ronnie Lott. If it had to be a current day player I might go with Donte Whitner.

So basically we're looking for someone who is one of the greatest athletes of all time.. but it would be great if he could throw the ball as well?

So for somewhat athletic QBs we've got Vick, Newton, Culpepper, Roethlisberger, Tebow, Mcnabb, Mcnair, Stewart, Elway, Young, etc.

Not gonna lie.. I have a hard time picking against Roethlisberger. At 6'5" and 240 lbs he's pretty huge. He's tough as nails and can move pretty well. I'll take 22 Big Bens.

Has anybody mentioned Tim Tebow? He would be great at every position but QB.

In all seriousness I would have to pick.........SEBASTIAN JANIKOWSKI!!!!

Why not? Let's say you need a 55 yard field goal to win the game? None of the above players are going to do that for you. He's also huge. Enough said.

Edited by Bills!Win!

With this fantasy scenario, I’m assuming it would be set in 2012 so the players we pick would have the same weight training, etc that the modern players do. With that said, I’m going old school with Samuel Adrian "Slingin' Sammy" Baugh. I don’t know how fast he was but any player that could lead the league in passing, interceptions and punting in the same season must have been one heck of an athlete…I don’t care what generation he played in.

Honorable mentions to Jim Brown & Lawrence Taylor. To the poster that said Jim Brown wouldn’t be able to bang with today’s lineman…sorry but I think you’re nuts. He was one Bad A** Mo Fo.

Great thinking outside the box. If we can go non-football he may be The choice. Definite freak with an unmatched combo of size speed strength stamina agility and ability.

hes so tall - hed have a hard time with center of gravity and such (blocking, tackling, evading tackles), and a with his height/weight hes still a bit thinner than guys like cam/ware but not quite as quick in the 40 (and id guess not quite as agile in short spaces at that height).

on the flip side, depending who he was playing, he would be a matchup challenge for sure. with such a unique build and skill set

do we assume this against another 53 of one player, or against a real team?

Edited by NoSaint

hes so tall - hed have a hard time with center of gravity and such (blocking, tackling, evading tackles), and a with his height/weight hes still a bit thinner than guys like cam/ware but not quite as quick in the 40 (and id guess not quite as agile in short spaces at that height).

on the flip side, depending who he was playing, he would be a matchup challenge for sure. with such a unique build and skill set

do we assume this against another 53 of one player, or against a real team?

Against a real team. I guess the question lies in how much merit belongs to pure athleticism and how much to specialized skills.

Troy Polamalu. He can tackle like a LB. He has the speed to play CB and Safety. He can catch the ball. He has a high IQ and is as tough as a lineman.

Honestly, to me, Polamalu is the no-brainer.

People who are proposing LT or Tebow or Roethlesberger are forgetting how hard it is to cover a WR. Polamalu can cover, and is no slouch at shedding offensive linemen.

People who are proposing LT or Tebow or Roethlesberger are forgetting how hard it is to cover a WR. Polamalu can cover, and is no slouch at shedding offensive linemen.

Polamalu also cant throw the ball.. how are they going to do anything on offense with 200 lb offensive lineman and a QB who cant throw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0R0djSFq-s

I mean what doesn't he do? He plays Safety but has the skill set of a CB and plays like an OLB.He always comes out of nowhere to make the play. One moment he's at the line of scrimmage, the next thing u know, he's 50 yds down field making an interception.He's the ultimate rover that can play LB, S, and CB on defense. He's covered punts and blocked punts on special teams in college. The way he returns INTs, shows me he can return punts and kicks and could probably play RB. Physical enough to play fullback and TE and has the hands and speed to play WR.

Polamalu also cant throw the ball.. how are they going to do anything on offense with 200 lb offensive lineman and a QB who cant throw?

That's why I went in the Tebow direction... he can throw, just not the best. He can obviously run. He had decent size. No clue if he can catch a ball though.

He would get eaten alive in the trenches. Covering a WR is a small portion of what's required. He'd have to block Vince wilfork, suh, dareus...... Whoever. And shed blocks without any big guys eating space on the defensive line. you could just run on him, and even if hes good in coverage the qb should have 8-10 seconds on most plays.

for me its narrowed totally to can Cam tackle/be physical, or can Ware throw?

its the only way youd stand any chance of the game being remotely competitive, and even then its almost impossible.

I like ware a lot because he can hit, he can take on lineman, hes physical enough that youd hope at 260-270 he wouldnt just crumble when blocking. he played WR at a high level in high school so he has hands and some idea of routes possibly. the only spots he suffer terribly at are corner (still 4.5 speed and not totally foreign to play outside, and drops in coverage occasionally. could probably hold a guy for 2-3 seconds if 4-5 wares could pressure the qb fast), and center/guard with blocking DTs. With of course the question - can he throw?

Edited by NoSaint

When I first started reading this Lebron was my thought. If I'm sticking with football I think you guys have it covered with Cam, Gronk, Ware, etc...

Maybe the dude that just won the decathalon, fast, strong, agile.

That's why I went in the Tebow direction... he can throw, just not the best. He can obviously run. He had decent size. No clue if he can catch a ball though.

eehhhhhh. VERY debatable.

Polamalu would be better on defense. The only thing Tebow has on Polamalu is God himself.

I can't stand Tebow as a QB, but for this ridiculous question, he is a good answer.

I agree completely... was thinking of Tebow too as I went down this thread... in this context, he could handle everything except OL/DL

He would get eaten alive in the trenches. Covering a WR is a small portion of what's required. He'd have to block Vince wilfork, suh, dareus...... Whoever. And shed blocks without any big guys eating space on the defensive line. you could just run on him, and even if hes good in coverage the qb should have 8-10 seconds on most plays.

for me its narrowed totally to can Cam tackle/be physical, or can Ware throw?

its the only way youd stand any chance of the game being remotely competitive, and even then its almost impossible.

I like ware a lot because he can hit, he can take on lineman, hes physical enough that youd hope at 260-270 he wouldnt just crumble when blocking. he played WR at a high level in high school so he has hands and some idea of routes possibly. the only spots he suffer terribly at are corner (still 4.5 speed and not totally foreign to play outside, and drops in coverage occasionally. could probably hold a guy for 2-3 seconds if 4-5 wares could pressure the qb fast), and center/guard with blocking DTs. With of course the question - can he throw?

Would love to see Cam cover a WR and hit or even block. I would NEVER want a team of QB's.

I would have to say Deon Sanders. The guy is just an athletic freak

Yea an athlete who was a horrible tackler.

No thanks.

Daunte Culpepper. DE sized guy that can throw very well and run.... he would destroy team Tebow.

Runners up are:

Patrick Willis, 2004 Terrell Owens ( who may have actually lobbied for this) and 2002 Ray Lewis.

So disagree with this comment. I hate Tebow but Tebow would mop the floor with Culpepper.

I go with Jim Brown. He was strong, fast enough, more elusive than some remember and had an incredible competitive instinct. This guy would fight as a blocker, tackler or anything else to the last drop of blood.

Not in today's league with these athletes. Brown was great in his era but defenses would mop the floor with him now.

I change my mind about Polamalu. Would love to have a team of Aaron Maybins because of his freakish ability to gain and lose weight. He's so versatile too. Full of confidence. He's fast. Quick first step. Can tackle. Whats not to love?

Not in today's league with these athletes. Brown was great in his era but defenses would mop the floor with him now.

I change my mind about Polamalu. Would love to have a team of Aaron Maybins because of his freakish ability to gain and lose weight. He's so versatile too. Full of confidence. He's fast. Quick first step. Can tackle. Whats not to love?

He's a tweener between DE/safety/wr after all. He has plaxico buress' frame and plays in the trenches!

Would love to see Cam cover a WR and hit or even block. I would NEVER want a team of QB's.

And for all the "game is won in the trenches talk," we certainly have a lot of 200lbs options named. People seem to be thinking of playmakers and neglecting how beat up they'd be in a matter of 2-3 snaps if they couldn't do the dirty work. Reasonably anyone under 250ish or slower than 4.5 and change would be utterly unable to move the ball or stop the other team even once.

Edited by NoSaint