Chick-fil-a update

What is the reasoning behind wanting to change it?

They are fine, as long as they don't inflict those fairy tales on others.

So it's okay for one group of people to inflict their beliefs (gay marriage, as an example) because they don't believe in fairy tales. But if they DO believe in fairy tales, then they should NOT inflict their beliefs (traditional marriage) on anyone.

Doesn't that sound a little bigoted and intolerant to you?

Most interestingly, I had no idea you were an atheist. An intolerant atheist, but an atheist nonetheless.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take 'er easy, bub. That's not directed at you; just making fun of Tea bag haters.

Ok, and as I said, if you were directing it at me, it was pretty atypical. Aside for a few crazies, the tea party is a fairly productive part of the process. The people who hate them don't like debating, they like to be affirmed.

So it's okay for one group of people to inflict their beliefs (gay marriage, as an example) because they don't believe in fairy tales. But if they DO believe in fairy tales, then they should NOT inflict their beliefs (traditional marriage) on anyone.

Doesn't that sound a little bigoted and intolerant to you?

Most interestingly, I had no idea you were an atheist. An intolerant atheist, but an atheist nonetheless.

Not an atheist at all, but I don't participate in organized religion.

How do you inflict traditional marriage on someone- do you force them to marry someone? I know people who would prefer the death penalty infllicted on them :devil:

The idea is basically you "inflict" it upon the society they live in and it bothers them? I think?

Goodness gracious.....then I have been inflicting society with the worst jokes imaginable for decades. I should be locked up.

Not an atheist at all, but I don't participate in organized religion.

So you don't attend a church or belong to a particular type of religion? Do you just believe in God and nothing else? I'm genuinely curious: if you don't believe in organized religion but you're not an atheist, then what do you practice?

So you don't attend a church or belong to a particular type of religion? Do you just believe in God and nothing else? I'm genuinely curious: if you don't believe in organized religion but you're not an atheist, then what do you practice?

I believe in God. I believe in an afterlife based on what you do in this life. I believe in treating people well. I got criticized by people of all religions for this, which I take with a grain of salt- if their religous beliefs make them feel happy, good for them, they don't need mine at that point.

I believe in God. I believe in an afterlife based on what you do in this life. I believe in treating people well. I got criticized by people of all religions for this, which I take with a grain of salt- if their religous beliefs make them feel happy, good for them, they don't need mine at that point.

And you believe in this...why, exactly? Is there a book that lays things out for you? A map? Some tablets? What reason do you have to believe in God?

And you believe in this...why, exactly? Is there a book that lays things out for you? A map? Some tablets? What reason do you have to believe in God?

A personal experience that is not suitable for a message board.

Come on, man. You can't give a build up like that & not deliver. You've got an unspeakable personal experience that made you find God; not a bad start.

Sorry- it isn't something I share with people I don't know personally. Some people like to be open with their religion and that's fine.

Yeah, his reasons can't be any better than those :rolleyes:

Sorry- it isn't something I share with people I don't know personally. Some people like to be open with their religion and that's fine.

I completely understand your position. You don't want to be open about your leap to faith, and you expect us to take your faith at face value, and accept that whatever reason you chose to believe in God is a formidable one. Sure it's just a fairy tale to us because we weren't a part of your belief process. But that's apparently different than the fairy tale everyone else believes in as a part of their faith process.

Don't misunderstand. I don't really care what YOUR reason is. In fact, I appreciate and respect your position even though I don't see what you see. But I suspect it's a good idea, when standing in judgement of Chrisitians, that you probably not disparage their positions simply because, y'know, you don't see what they see. Just because they differ from you does not make them wrong. It just makes them different.

Edited by LABillzFan

I completely understand your position. You don't want to be open about your leap to faith, and you expect us to take your faith at face value, and accept that whatever reason you chose to believe in God is a formidable one. Sure it's just a fairy tale to us because we weren't a part of your belief process. But that's apparently different than the fairy tale everyone else believes in as a part of their faith process.

Don't misunderstand. I don't really care what YOUR reason is. In fact, I appreciate and respect your position even though I don't see what you see. But I suspect it's a good idea, when standing in judgement of Chrisitians, that you probably not disparage their positions simply because, y'know, you don't see what they see. Just because they differ from you does not make them wrong. It just makes them different.

I agree with you wholeheartedly and used the term "Fairy Tale" as a way of describing something that can't be proven- it may have come off as a bit harsher than intended, but that is a problem with discussions that aren't in person.

He went out of his way to share is views? Really?? He mentioned it during an interview with The Baptist Press. He wanted consumers to know his position? Really, where did you come up with that? It sounds like he wanted listener of a Christian podcast to know his views.

I only argue with everything I disagree with....you know.....acting out of principle.

So by voicing his opinion he's trying to get laws passed to ban certain types of marriages? It's amazing the information people have on people they've never met.

... I'll be the dick to say it:

How is this any different from the wrath that the right levels at the likes of Clooney, Penn, Robins or any of the other Hollywood liberals that dare speak out about their beliefs in interviews? How many times have I heard from conservatives something along the lines of: "Just shut up and make movies"?

Should cities be banning Chick Filets because of what the owner said? Absolutely not. It's ridiculous and against the first amendment. The left is wrong about this one. But the far right being all up in arms about this is hilarious considering their track record of shouting down anyone who dares speak their mind from the left.

We're all becoming more and more stu-tarded by the day. Too busy fighting one another to pay attention to what's really going on in this country. It'd be horrific if it wasn't so hilarious.

"We choose to fake going to the Moon in this decade and fake the other things, not because they are easy, but because they aren't even possible."

Best line in this thread! :lol:

How is this any different from the wrath that the right levels at the likes of Clooney, Penn, Robins or any of the other Hollywood liberals that dare speak out about their beliefs in interviews? How many times have I heard from conservatives something along the lines of: "Just shut up and make movies"?

Should cities be banning Chick Filets because of what the owner said? Absolutely not. It's ridiculous and against the first amendment. The left is wrong about this one. But the far right being all up in arms about this is hilarious considering their track record of shouting down anyone who dares speak their mind from the left.

We're all becoming more and more stu-tarded by the day. Too busy fighting one another to pay attention to what's really going on in this country. It'd be horrific if it wasn't so hilarious.

Best line in this thread! :lol:

That right there is the crux of the matter & what differentiates this situation from those you listed. As a nihilist I found his full statement to be a bit fanatical, but not worthy of this level of attention & certainly not of disciplinary action by government. If leftists were just saying "shut up & bring me my sandwich" or encouraging others to voluntarily abstain from eating there I wouldn't be going out of my way to devour their deliciously hateful sandwiches.

And let's be honest, there is nothing more ridiculous than a bunch of ass holes who were cumming in their pants over a President who opposed gay marriage up until about 10 minutes ago suddenly deciding such hate can't be tolerated from sandwich makers.

I agree with you wholeheartedly and used the term "Fairy Tale" as a way of describing something that can't be proven- it may have come off as a bit harsher than intended, but that is a problem with discussions that aren't in person.

Actually, no, it's not a problem with discussions that aren't in person, though I know you love to use that as a reason to explain away your conflicting narrative. The only difference between you and Christians is WHY you believe in God. You have some unexplained truth and they have ridiculous fairy tales.

That you dismiss their faith because they reached it via a different route than you makes me question why you even find it necessary to comment on this, let alone dismiss it. If you experienced some undeniable proof of God, you'd think you'd be happy other people didn't wait for that proof for them to share in the glory with you. But apparently, your God doesn't see things that way.

Telling someone to STFU and calling for the banning of their livelyhood are two different things wouldn't you agree. I don't hear a conservative mayor threatening Sean Penn that his movie better not show in any of the theaters in his city. Can you see how absurd that sounds? Well that's exactly what Ed Lee, the mayor of SF was calling for with Chick-fil-A

Actually, no, it's not a problem with discussions that aren't in person, though I know you love to use that as a reason to explain away your conflicting narrative. The only difference between you and Christians is WHY you believe in God. You have some unexplained truth and they have ridiculous fairy tales.

That you dismiss their faith because they reached it via a different route than you makes me question why you even find it necessary to comment on this, let alone dismiss it. If you experienced some undeniable proof of God, you'd think you'd be happy other people didn't wait for that proof for them to share in the glory with you. But apparently, your God doesn't see things that way.

Who is to say that my reason isn't a fairy tale? Maybe it is. What it is can't be explained, so the description fits. My intent of the use of 'fairy tale' was to point out that it can't be proven, not to diminish the value to the people who holds the faith. The issue is that my faith does nothing for you and yours does nothing for me- nor should it be expected to.

That right there is the crux of the matter & what differentiates this situation from those you listed. As a nihilist I found his full statement to be a bit fanatical, but not worthy of this level of attention & certainly not of disciplinary action by government. If leftists were just saying "shut up & bring me my sandwich" or encouraging others to voluntarily abstain from eating there I wouldn't be going out of my way to devour their deliciously hateful sandwiches.

And let's be honest, there is nothing more ridiculous than a bunch of ass holes who were cumming in their pants over a President who opposed gay marriage up until about 10 minutes ago suddenly deciding such hate can't be tolerated from sandwich makers.

Don't kid yourself. Have you ever been bitten by a sandwich?

Edited by Adam

Who is to say that my reason isn't a fairy tale? Maybe it is. What it is can't be explained, so the description fits. My intent of the use of 'fairy tale' was to point out that it can't be proven, not to diminish the value to the people who holds the faith. The issue is that my faith does nothing for you and yours does nothing for me- nor should it be expected to.

Thats sounds fair enough to me sir................... "Keep the Faith"

P.S.: Thanks for the message yesterday, its not me in Texas......I hope that the BBQ is good!