Chick-fil-a update

I agree. I think this whole thing is !@#$ing absurd. I'm just saying if I found out the owner of Burger King was funding moveon.org I'd probably eat more Big Macs. That's all.

I was "discussing" this with a friend on Facebook. She then posted something saying that she hated intolerant people. I sent her a personal message saying I hope that wasn't towards me. I told her that I support gay marriage. She asked if I supported gay marriage why was I giving her a hard time. I told her this has NOTHING to do with gay marriage and EVERYTHING to do with the First Amendment.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was "discussing" this with a friend on Facebook. She then posted something saying that she hated intolerant people. I sent her a personal message saying I hope that wasn't towards me. I told her that I support gay marriage. She asked if I supported gay marriage why was I giving her a hard time. I told her this has NOTHING to do with gay marriage and EVERYTHING to do with the First Amendment.

Wait, if she hates intolerant people, doesn't that make her intolerant as well?

Yes, I was going to point out her hypocrisy but felt it best not to.

A Christian company with traditional Christian views. You do know I was talking from the voice of gay perspective that is against these Christian traditions, right?

Because the CEO is a Christian with traditional Christian values does NOT make his company "that kind of company".

Huh, looks like we agree on something. Go figure.

Interesting tid-bit: Around the turn of the century I used to cut grass for a lady that owned a Chik-Fil-A franchise in NC. One thing we had in common was that we both wanted to !@#$ my gf.

I can't fault the individual for not wanting to support a business that contributes to causes they oppose. I cancelled my Geico coverage when they got on board with "Color of Change" (it's just really stupid for businesses to get in on boycotts), and I don't buy Sargento cheese either (mainly b/c of their political activism, but really, anyone who brags about being "persnickety" is an up-tight ass hole).

Wow... Using the term "around the turn of the century." That is scary when I first still think of 1900! Just kidding... ;-) ;-)

But you support Mitt who doesn't support gay marriage. So, you can't possibly really support gay marriage?

How do you personally resolve this? Aren't you not throwing tolerance under the bus for the sake of the economy? Tolerance is the economy.

I don't expect you to get this. You can just give me a big WTF right now and be done with it... :-P

YES.

But you support Mitt who doesn't support gay marriage. So, you can't possibly really support gay marriage?

Are you serious??? Are you saying you have to agree with a candidate 100% to support them? What the hell man, if that were the case no one would support any candidate.

I resolve that by feeling very strongly that Mitt will be better for the country going forward.

Oh and BTW now that Obama has come out for gay marriage do you still support him?

Edited by Chef Jim

Yes, I was going to point out her hypocrisy but felt it best not to.

Because the CEO is a Christian with traditional Christian values does NOT make his company "that kind of company".

Dude... Now you are arguing just for the sake of arguing because it is me. I am agreeing with you. What part of: "I am using their voice" don't you get. Don't get hung up on the words, it is not what you are trying to make it mean. Don't analyze it too much.

Are you serious??? Are you saying you have to agree with a candidate 100% to support them? What the hell man, if that were the case no one would support any candidate.

I resolve that by feeling very strongly that Mitt will be better for the country going forward.

Oh and BTW now that Obama has come out for gay marriage do you still support him?

Yes, on this issue... It trumps everything. I knew 4 years ago Obama would come around... He just couldn't do it then and get elected. America is full of hate. And... He may very well lose the election this year because of it!

FWIW... I might actually vote for Romney if he supported gays and recognized their unions (cringe: 'marriage").

Yes... I support Obama even more. In my heart it is the right position. My irrational disapproval of gay marriage is just that: irrational. I am glad he took the right gov't position... Now I hope ALL "marriage" can be removed from the eyes of the state.

Your resolve for the country moving forward, I disagree with. Romney is aligning himself with the traditionalists. Again, the long term economy is all about tolerance.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Dude... Now you are arguing just for the sake of arguing because it is me. I am agreeing with you. What part of: "I am using their voice" don't you get. Don't get hung up on the words, it is not what you are trying to make it mean. Don't analyze it too much.

Yes, on this issue... It trumps everything. I knew 4 years ago Obama would come around... He just couldn't do it then and get elected. America is full of hate. And... He may very well lose the election this year because of it!

FWIW... I might actually vote for Romney if he supported gays and recognized their unions (cringe: 'marriage").

Yes... I support Obama even more. In my heart it is the right position. My irrational disapproval of gay marriage is just that: irrational. I am glad he took the right gov't position... Now I hope ALL "marriage" can be removed from the eyes of the state.

You resolve for the country moving forward, I disagree with. Romney is aligning himself with the traditionalists. Again, the long term economy is all about tolerance.

If Obama loses the election it will have NOTHING to do with gay marriage.

Your resolve for the country moving forward, I disagree with. Romney is aligning himself with the traditionalists. Again, the long term economy is all about tolerance.

Where do you get this nonsense?

If Obama loses the election it will have NOTHING to do with gay marriage.

And Mitt will be prez and our country will fester in intolerance because of his unholy (his Mormon faithwise) alliance with the Christian traditionalists while the country exhibits short-term economic gains...Yeah!

[/b]

Where do you get this nonsense?

So a strong, stable, sound economy has nothing to do with tolerance... Why is Chick-fil-A sweating losing money now?

And Mitt will be prez and our country will fester in intolerance because of his unholy (his Mormon faithwise) alliance with the Christian traditionalists while the country exhibits short-term economic gains...Yeah!

So a strong, stable, sound economy has nothing to do with tolerance... Why is Chick-fil-A sweating losing money now?

Oh I think Chick-Fil-A is doing just fine regarding it's bottom line. And please explain where Chick-Fil-A is being intolerant,

That's a bit of a stretch. You're essentially arguing that opposition to gay marriage will tank our economy. I get how in the abstract, speaking rhetorically about the societal effects of intolerance can make that plausible, but come on, man. Mitt's hardly a hard right social conservative. And if he opposes gay marriage either because he believes in traditional marriage or because he's catering to the desires of his supporters, it's a pretty far jump to conclude that he will therefore enact exlusionary policies (or that such a thing would even fly in this day and age) sufficient to stunt long-term economic growth.

Are you really this stupid? Relating a strong economy to tolerence? What makes you think Chick-fil-is the least bit concerned that they are going to lose money over this? Last Wednesday they did double the business of their best day ever.

Oh I think Chick-Fil-A is doing just fine regarding it's bottom line. And please explain where Chick-Fil-A is being intolerant,

Traditional Christian viewpoints tend to be intolerant. Chick not be able to budge on the word "marriage" is intolerant. Intolerant personal viewpoint that is.

That's a bit of a stretch. You're essentially arguing that opposition to gay marriage will tank our economy. I get how in the abstract, speaking rhetorically about the societal effects of intolerance can make that plausible, but come on, man. Mitt's hardly a hard right social conservative. And if he opposes gay marriage either because he believes in traditional marriage or because he's catering to the desires of his supporters, it's a pretty far jump to conclude that he will therefore enact exlusionary policies (or that such a thing would even fly in this day and age) sufficient to stunt long-term economic growth.

Won't tank... Not going to help things though. I did say, short term may take off.

Fair enough... Let's see if Mitt "evolves" like Obama did... ;-) :-P

Are you really this stupid? Relating a strong economy to tolerence? What makes you think Chick-fil-is the least bit concerned that they are going to lose money over this? Last Wednesday they did double the business of their best day ever.

Do they need to keep on expanding as a business... ?? Will they be fine where they are at... Or do they need new markets to tap into?

Traditional Christian viewpoints tend to be intolerant. Chick not be able to budge on the word "marriage" is intolerant. Intolerant personal viewpoint that is.

Are traditional Christian viewpoints more intolerant than traditional Muslim or Bhuddist viewpoints?

Yes, on this issue... It trumps everything. I knew 4 years ago Obama would come around... He just couldn't do it then and get elected. America is full of hate.

It's very unfortunate to realize you live in a world that equates "I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman" with someone being "filled with hate." Just ridiculous on so many levels.

Not as ridiculous as announcing that you really hope someone kills Mitt Romney before November, but pretty freaking ridiculous. Surely you have friends who disagree with you. Are they filled with hate, too? And if you hang out with people filled with hate, you must be filled with hate, too, right? Unless, maybe, you only spend time with people who support gay marriage. In which case, aren't you now intolerant of people who disagree with you?

Edited by LABillzFan

Do you check the opinions of all CEOs before you "give them a penny" or just this one because it's the the cool thing to do?

No..I don't necessarily. But when one goes of out of his way to share them, I assume he is doing it for a reason. If I were to find out the same thing about another company I frequent, I would follow suit. Cathy wants consumers to know his position. I don't deny his right to feel the way he does, do donate money to whatever group he want to donate to...or to do business. As has been said a million times. This company, by making donations to certain groups, is taking a stance on an issue, that I think is wrong, so I am not going to give them any more of my money (as small amount as that may be) because I don't want my money, ultimately, going to a cause that I think is morally wrong. Is that so hard to understand? I am not in favor of impeding Chic-Fil-A from doing business anywhere they want to...but I am not going to support that business.

Let me ask you a question:

Do you argue with everything, because it makes you feel superior in some way? Is it the "cool thing to do"... do you ever act out of principle? I suspect you do...why can't you fathom that anyone else might? Don't forget, it was Cathy who shared this info with everyone... he is probably smart enough to realize the financial and political implications that it had on his business, and decided that the risk was worth it.

Edited by Buftex

Isn't there supposed to be a separation between church and state? Any two people should be able to go city hall and get married. But if you want to get married in church xyz. well then they have a complete say on who they do and don't marry.

That's the way it should work. But religion has entered the government where there should be no involvement. That to me is where the problem lies.