David Nelson speaks about team divisiveness in 2010

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had wondered why Evans was shipped off for just a fourth rounder, this statement by Nelson makes sense for why a beloved player in the organization was jettisoned. I could see Lee being the guy who thought he knew it all, and besides i believe Nix and Gailey stated they want players who are on the rise or peaking on this team. I always liked Evans but he was surely a "go" route runner and was a bit small, which makes sense that he didnt want to run underneath routes...ie, "buying into the system"

Or... combine it all. All of what you wrote, AND not buying into the new philosophy.

I wouldn't be opposed to that theory, matter of fact, I'm sure it all has to do with jettisoning a player. It was clear before the season started to me anyway he was a player in decline.

From the same article, "Gone are headaches, quitters, contrarians and usurpers."

The following names immediately came to mind: Lynch, Schobel, Evans and Whitner." Feel free to suggest better replacements.

Good article TG.

I wouldn't put Schobel in that category.

The Kelsay extension also feeds into this. Nix' justification was that hes a good 'locker room guy'. They wanted to send a message that if you buy in, you will be rewarded, if not you're gone.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, that would make more sense now.

Certainly, Kelsay has been a dependable- if nothing else- grinder of an ok defensive end. A (very) poor man's Phil Hansen. So, play on the field did not warrant the amount of the extension that he received.

But, if signing him was the figurehead move of an entire franchise- i.e., sign those grinders and workers to build from as examples of what TO DO- then this makes great sense.

I'm even more encouraged that the franchise is now in capable hands.

i had wondered why Evans was shipped off for just a fourth rounder, this statement by Nelson makes sense for why a beloved player in the organization was jettisoned. I could see Lee being the guy who thought he knew it all, and besides i believe Nix and Gailey stated they want players who are on the rise or peaking on this team. I always liked Evans but he was surely a "go" route runner and was a bit small, which makes sense that he didnt want to run underneath routes...ie, "buying into the system"

Exactly. He was starting to get high in miles too, as evidenced in Baltimore, with injuries becoming all too frequent.

If he was part of the locker room cancer, then I am 100% glad that he's long gone.

I found the beginning of the article very surprising:

:o WOW, that's a very different story than what we were hearing from the players and coaches at the time. But looking back, it makes sense.

I don't doubt that Nelson was talking about Evans, and I'd bet Wilson was talking about Whitner.

So glad we put Nix in charge and he (along with Whaley and Gailey) have been able to at least change the attitude and culture around OBD.

"Telling players to pack up and leave". Which coach(es) do you suppose that was?

I'm a high school football coach, and the staff all talked about it this year, that last years coaching staff said that exact same thing, and it only served as a negative reinforcement and created a great divide between player and coach. Players need positive reinforcement.

I wonder if Gregg Williams was the one saying this? Given his recent past, I can certainly see that...

"Telling players to pack up and leave". Which coach(es) do you suppose that was?

I'm a high school football coach, and the staff all talked about it this year, that last years coaching staff said that exact same thing, and it only served as a negative reinforcement and created a great divide between player and coach. Players need positive reinforcement.

I wonder if Gregg Williams was the one saying this? Given his recent past, I can certainly see that...

Wilson's first season with us was 2004, under Mularkey. Gregg was already gone. But it was most likely a position coach anyways. Tough to say whether it would have been when he was a WR or after he switched to DB.

Nelson isnt all that great and I feel that he himself could be riding pine. he certainly is good at convincinf everyone that he and fitz are tight and on the same page but competition is def on his heals and i believe don jones takes the slot w the rookie or easly as second speed threat. Nelson needs to improve his game tremendously in order to start.

Your kidding right? This guy has been the most consistent receiver on our team since he walked into camp besides Stevie

Probably Lee, probably not Roscoe as they kept him for a year and injuries were his undoing. Who else do rookie wide-outs listen too other than the all pro WR, a guy who quit a couple of years earlier. That Lee dropped that ball that would have gotten his team into the Super Bowl shows that quitters never win.

Lee Evans was an all pro WR?

Nelson isnt all that great and I feel that he himself could be riding pine. he certainly is good at convincinf everyone that he and fitz are tight and on the same page but competition is def on his heals and i believe don jones takes the slot w the rookie or easly as second speed threat. Nelson needs to improve his game tremendously in order to start.

So 61 catches for 658 yards isn't good enough to be the slot receiver? LOL..

I wouldn't put Schobel in that category.

Agreed. Schobel played his ass off on some bad teams. Contrarian? Maybe...he certainly walked his own path. I'd hardly think of him as a quitter, though.

I wouldn't consider Lynch in that category, either. Lynch's problem was less selfishness and more knuckleheadedness.

The Kelsay extension also feeds into this. Nix' justification was that hes a good 'locker room guy'. They wanted to send a message that if you buy in, you will be rewarded, if not you're gone.

Best point made in the entire thread. It's an age-old idea but sometimes something so simple gets lost in all the 24 our news cycle noise.

GO BILLS!!!

Lee Evans was an all pro WR?

Yep, he was. And Losman was his All Pro QB at the Pro Bowl game where they co-shared the MVP award.

GO BILLS

Agreed. Schobel played his ass off on some bad teams. Contrarian? Maybe...he certainly walked his own path. I'd hardly think of him as a quitter, though.

I wouldn't consider Lynch in that category, either. Lynch's problem was less selfishness and more knuckleheadedness.

Good post. Too many people in this thread are taking players that didn't live up to their own personal expectations, and automatically taking that childish anger and twisting it into "those guys were malcontents and caused all the problems."

Your kidding right? This guy has been the most consistent receiver on our team since he walked into camp besides Stevie

the question remains... is that because hes been that good, or everyone else is that lackluster? i would say it would be an easy spot to still upgrade, but hes not bad either.

to the actual topic though - yea it surprises me lee got such a sterling reputation here. though some didnt like his play, off the field he was quite revered as one of the good guys. sometimes i think we toss that title around too easily to anyone that doesnt openly bash us. there were definitely a couple times he made comments that raised my eyebrow with regards to team management. i could easily see him being a guy that thinks he knows whats supposed to be happening.

Edited by NoSaint