David Nelson speaks about team divisiveness in 2010

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANy chance he was talking about the wide receivers coach? I have no idea who it was then and for that matter, I can't recall who it is now, so I may be way off, but that would also fit the "position leader" description.

I was guessing the same thing when I read the quote.

I found the beginning of the article very surprising:

The Bills aren't that kind of team anymore.

Defensive captain George Wilson remembers shouting matches in meetings - teammates yelling at each other, players screaming at coaches, coaches telling players to pack up and leave.

General Manager Buddy Nix recalls a universal malaise around One Bills Drive when he returned to the club as a national scout in 2009. Not only was it found in the football department, but also among the rank-and-file employees. An inferiority complex had infested the building.

:o WOW, that's a very different story than what we were hearing from the players and coaches at the time. But looking back, it makes sense.

I don't doubt that Nelson was talking about Evans, and I'd bet Wilson was talking about Whitner.

So glad we put Nix in charge and he (along with Whaley and Gailey) have been able to at least change the attitude and culture around OBD.

Edited by DrDareustein

For all we know Trent was talking about check-downs (or am I a year late?).

Haven't read the article yet (gotta run off to work) but it seems there was a lot of divisiveness back then. Jauron vs Schonert was another one.

I also think Nelson needs to learn to be more discreet. First he outed Fitz's ribs, now this. I think he has the best motives, but he'll ruin his own trust in the locker room if he doesn't shut up.

Hopeful, I agree with you about Nelson needing to be more discreet. He's a reporter's dream.

I disagree with you guys. I'd bet Nelson's teammates are good with him being a spokesperson for the team. He's a bit young to be a team leader but like other team leaders around the NFL, he's a guy who can be honest and frank, but diplomatic at the same time. There's a fine line there and I don't think Nelson has ever crossed it.

Honestly, didn't Gailey infer multiple times prior to the trade that Evans wasn'y exactly buying in?

Yes, that was my recollection too.

He founded the town of Evans

Also Evangola State Park.

I found the beginning of the article for surprising:

:o WOW, that's a very different story than what we were hearing from the players and coaches at the time. But looking back, it makes sense.

I don't doubt that Nelson was talking about Evans, and I'd bet Wilson was talking about Whitner.

So glad we put Nix in charge and he (along with Whaley and Gailey) have been able to at least change the attitude and culture around OBD.

Looking forward to reading the article when I get home. Sounds like it's quite revealing.

I was guessing the same thing when I read the quote.

Interesting take, but when combined with Gailey's offseason comments between the 2010 and 2011 season about Lee needing to do "more things" I think it's pretty obvious where the issue was.

Take a look at the 17 remaining players that Nix and Gailey inherited:

QB Fitz

RB Jackson

FB McIntyre

WR Stevie J

G Levitre

C Wood

DE Kelsay

DT Kyle Williams

DT Spencer J

OLB Scott

CB McGee

CB McKelvin

SS Wilson

FS Byrd

P Moorman

K Lindell

LS Sanborn*

Say what you will about their talent, but all of them seem to be of the "high-character" type. Even McKelvin has received a lot of praise for how he handled last year's demotion. Looks like the garbage from that disastrous era in Buffalo Bills history (2001-2009) has been adequately purged. Hopefully Bills historians will see 2010-2012 as a turning point and not merely a continuation.

*-Okay, I'm admittedly unsure about Mr. Garrison. He may very well be a primadonna locker room cancer that is tearing this team apart.

Edited by Mark Miller

If anyone divided the locker room, it was that Moorman punk. Him and all of his "Moorman Island," pompous garbage. He was behind it and Lee Evans was an innocent bystander and a victim like the other 52 guys.

I found the beginning of the article very surprising:

That's utterly remarkable. It's so incredibly sad to think about what was going on behind the scenes for our Bills just a few short years ago--- but it makes the current upsurge in optimism and hope so much more satisfying.

Edited by Punch

Also what comes to mind is Gailey and Nix hinting at Lee Evans not wanting to run routes underneath which became an important part of teams offensive philosophy.

It's more of a stretch to think he wasn't talking about Evans as "one of those players".

I have no problem in what David Nelson has stated in the article. It seems like those players are likely all off the team anyways.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Or.... Maybe, juuuust maybe the Bills cut their losses with Lee Evans because he is no longer able to play at a starting level, run any routes other than a go route, get enough separation from defenders, or make plays that would extend drives.

Since he has done so much since leaving Buffalo, it couldn't possibly have been that stuff...

Bills players (including TEs and RBs, cuz I am a little lazy) who caught a pass in the 2010 season, with underlines for those who are gone:

Steve Johnson

Lee Evans

Roscoe Parrish

Fred Jackson

David Nelson

C.J. Spiller

Donald Jones

Jonathan Stupar

Naaman Roosevelt

David Martin

Corey McIntyre

Shawn Nelson

Quinton Ganther

Scott Chandler

Paul Hubbard

Marshawn Lynch

Also what comes to mind is Gailey and Nix hinting at Lee Evans not wanting to run routes underneath which became an important part of teams offensive philosophy.

It's more of a stretch to think he wasn't talking about Evans as "one of those players".

I have no problem in what David Nelson has stated in the article. It seems like those players are likely all off the team anyways.

Me neither. He isnt the only player quoted in the article, and no one names and names or throws anyone under the bus.

As a matter of fact, the very beginning of the article addresses that.

First three lines:

Nobody wants to name names. They'll simply admit problems were manifold and ran deep within the Buffalo Bills organization.

They don't feel there's any need to point fingers now, and their reluctance to do so is germane to this story.

The Bills aren't that kind of team anymore.

I bust his balls on here about "the incident" but it's a great article by Tim Graham. This is the type of reporting I've been wanting to see. Glad he is back on staff.

Or.... Maybe, juuuust maybe the Bills cut their losses with Lee Evans because he is no longer able to play at a starting level, run any routes other than a go route, get enough separation from defenders, or make plays that would extend drives.

Since he has done so much since leaving Buffalo, it couldn't possibly have been that stuff...

Or... combine it all. All of what you wrote, AND not buying into the new philosophy.

Ummm, pretty unprofessional, crying over spilt milk. Blaming guys that are not even here, this is a punk move.

You're just upset nobody said Fitz sucks. Go back under your bridge.

No idea? Really? Do we need to go back and revisit who the WRs on the roster were two seasons ago? Lee Evans was far and away the veteran leader of the squad. It's actually more of a leap to suggest it wasn't Evans Nelson is referring to.

Furthermore, I don't see any problem with what Nelson said. It's ancient history, and would be a different story if we was talking about the current situation. And besides, he didn't say the "player" (cough..Evans) was a bad guy or bad player -- just that he wasn't buying into what the coaches wanted to do.

I agree completely. No doubt this was Evans. In fairness to him, he did "grow up" in a highly disfucntional Bills organization with many coaches and QBs. Let's also remember it was Evans who on more than one ocassion publcially advocated for one QB or the other in their on-going search for the best of their mediocre QB options. He also clearly was not buying into Gailey's system. It is no surpirse to learn that Evans was viewed as detrimental to team chemistry and obvioulsy further explains why he was shipped out.

I also think Nelson needs to learn to be more discreet. First he outed Fitz's ribs, now this. I think he has the best motives, but he'll ruin his own trust in the locker room if he doesn't shut up.

My view exactly. It's nice to want to be forthcoming and helpful to inquiring reporters, but be sure you're not undermining team unity or betraying confidences in the process. Admittedly it's a fine line but somtimes "no comment" is an acceptable response to a reporter.

Edited by BillnutinHouston