David Nelson speaks about team divisiveness in 2010

What do you make of this passage from this morning's article in The News?

"Wide receiver David Nelson was a rookie Gailey's first season, but Nelson noticed an unpleasant carryover from the previous regime.

"The leader of each position group has to believe in what the head man is trying to do," Nelson said. "If the leader of that group is doing his own thing or if the head man is telling us one thing and the group leader is whispering things like 'Oh, don't listen to him,' then the team falls apart.

"I think we've gotten rid of all that. Guys are giving up selfish ambitions and buying into that team atmosphere."

So what I'm getting is that Lee Evans was somewhat divisive behind the scenes. Anyone else have a different take? Nelson's first season was Evans's last (2010), in which he (Evans)would have been the leader of the receivers' position group. If this was the "purge" it now appears to be, it might help explain Buddy's dancing around the issue of Evans' release back then.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billnut, this was the very thing I took from that article as well. Nelson doesn't want to (and shouldn't) come out and name names, but clearly Evans was the cancer. A lot of this makes sense now, because if Lee had bought in to what Gailey was trying to do, his downfield speed would have been beneficial in this offense.

"Wide receiver David Nelson was a rookie Gailey's first season, but Nelson noticed an unpleasant carryover from the previous regime.

"The leader of each position group has to believe in what the head man is trying to do," Nelson said. "If the leader of that group is doing his own thing or if the head man is telling us one thing and the group leader is whispering things like 'Oh, don't listen to him,' then the team falls apart.

"I think we've gotten rid of all that. Guys are giving up selfish ambitions and buying into that team atmosphere."

So what I'm getting is that Lee Evans was somewhat divisive behind the scenes. Anyone else have a different take? Nelson's first season was Evans's last (2010), in which he (Evans)would have been the leader of the receivers' position group. If this was the "purge" it now appears to be, it might help explain Buddy's dancing around the issue of Evans' release back then.

I have no idea whom, or what Nelson, is referring to, but it seems like a big leap--and totally unfair--to assume it was Evans, and to lay this at his feet. Just Saying.

Moreover, David Nelson does not seem like the kind of guy who is going to throw a teammate (ex. or not), under the bus.

Evans was traded for a 4th round pick, not released? I don't think it's so clear it was Evans. He might not be talking about the WR position group, and the #1 guy isn't necessarily the emotional leader of the group.

I think a number of personnel moves that on the surface don't make sense from the football talent perspective (or timing) had their basis in locker room behavior.

I also think Nelson needs to learn to be more discreet. First he outed Fitz's ribs, now this. I think he has the best motives, but he'll ruin his own trust in the locker room if he doesn't shut up.

Edited by Hopeful

You are probably correct. There are plenty of myths about Lee Evans tenure in the NFL, first about his ability to make players around him better or "open things up" for the offense. Our offense was awful in his tenure with the bills especially our WR production.

Secondaly I always had a hunch that it was a myth about him being a good teammate or a "team player". Just remember how divisive he was with the Losman and Edwards QB controversy. This was probably just the tip of the iceberg.

One of the best personnel moves in the Buddy Nix era was trading Evans away.

Excellent post and thread btw.

1343129833[/url]' post='2511622']

Evans was traded for a 4th round pick, not released? I don't think it's so clear it was Evans. He might not be talking about the WR position group, and the #1 guy isn't necessarily the emotional leader of the group.

I think a number of personnel moves that on the surface don't make sense from the football talent perspective (or timing) had their basis in locker room behavior.

I also think Nelson needs to learn to be more discreet. First he outed Fitz's ribs, now this. I think he has the best motives, but he'll ruin his own trust in the locker room if he doesn't shut up.

I agree with the last statement, but getting a 4th for 'ole 1trick' is on Nix, who dumped a malcontent in his contract year and got something in return.

Yes, I believe Nelson is referring to Evans.

I have no idea whom, or what Nelson, is referring to, but it seems like a big leap--and totally unfair--to assume it was Evans, and to lay this at his feet. Just Saying.

Moreover, David Nelson does not seem like the kind of guy who is going to throw a teammate (ex. or not), under the bus.

It may be somewhat unfair, but by no means is it a big leap. Which other WR would be the position leader in 2010? While it's definitely making an assumption at thinking it's Evans, it's also 100% logical. The fact that Evans was then traded that offseason certainly doesn't hurt the case.

I agree Nelson doesn't seem like the kind of guy to throw a teammate under the bus, and by not specifically naming one he didn't. He spoke his mind as a young leader on this team without allowing it to devolve into mudslinging.

No idea? Really? Do we need to go back and revisit who the WRs on the roster were two seasons ago? Lee Evans was far and away the veteran leader of the squad. It's actually more of a leap to suggest it wasn't Evans Nelson is referring to.

Furthermore, I don't see any problem with what Nelson said. It's ancient history, and would be a different story if we was talking about the current situation. And besides, he didn't say the "player" (cough..Evans) was a bad guy or bad player -- just that he wasn't buying into what the coaches wanted to do.

Probably Lee, probably not Roscoe as they kept him for a year and injuries were his undoing. Who else do rookie wide-outs listen too other than the all pro WR, a guy who quit a couple of years earlier. That Lee dropped that ball that would have gotten his team into the Super Bowl shows that quitters never win.

Furthermore, I don't see any problem with what Nelson said. It's ancient history, and would be a different story if we was talking about the current situation. And besides, he didn't say the "player" (cough..Evans) was a bad guy or bad player -- just that he wasn't buying into what the coaches wanted to do.

Honestly, didn't Gailey infer multiple times prior to the trade that Evans wasn'y exactly buying in?

Honestly, didn't Gailey infer multiple times prior to the trade that Evans wasn'y exactly buying in?

Yes, which is all the more reason why this isn't big news and Nelson hasn't done anything wrong.