Warren Sapp

If Warren had made this comment about LAST years team.....I think I would have agreed with him (and by comment I mean about transforming the defense)

- The reason why it takes time is because it takes time to create DEPTH....injuries happen. The fact is at most of the positions on this team this was the problem last year but this year we HAVE IT. Keep in mind.....sitting behind Mario Williams is Chris Kelsay....a former starter.....behind Anderson is Shawn Merriman.....who appears to have turned the corner

- At DT you have Darius and Williams.....but behind them you have guys that have gotten considerable playing time.......

- At Corner we appear to have drafted well the past two years....so even Terrance goes down? We still have 3-4 young guys who look very good....if McKelvin cant cut it? Gilmore looks like a stud.....depth really isnt a problem here

- You might think Linebacker would be a depth problem....but not really....we are going to be playing big safeties in linebacker spots A LOT in this defense

The 1st string defense looks like it could be top 5........now with the abilithy to insert a backup here and there and keep rolling because there is some quality there...

They just have to go out and prove it.

AND.....if we had ANY KIND of defense last year....we would have made the playoffs.

Agreed. We'll rarely see the same three on the field a lot together I would think. A lot of Scott, maybe even Merriman with his hand up in passing situations.

As for Sapp, Dareus reminds me a lot of him.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I half agree with Sapp. My personal feeling is that, while this year will be very important, the two years after this one are when we'll make a splash. I think we'll be in the mix for playoffs this year, but I won't be heartbroken if we're not. I want to see us solidify some positions, get the young kids a bit more seasoning, and then really make our run in '13 and '14.

I agree. I would love to see the Bills end the playoff drought this year, and I think there is a reason to be optimistic.

Still until we see the Bills actually play, we won't know what to expect.

Its a legit prediction to think that the Bills might be on the playoff bubble. Its not like Sapp said that the Bills will finish with 4 wins or something like that. 8-8 or 9-7 is a legit chance for the Bills and those records (And maybe even 10-6) are likely not to get you into the playoffs.

Yes, but at this point last season was anyone talking about Kyle William's injury?? I don't recall that happening. Point is it's easy now to say we're healthy, lets see how we look from an injury standpoint around Oct 15th or so. You're assuming everyone is going to recover fine and no new major injuries.

I do think we will be much better, but wouldn't try to make the argument that it's due to last years injuries will make the difference.

It's not about assuming we're going to be completely healthy all year like the 2008 Dolphins were. It's more about assuming "league average injury luck" which is really all anyone can reasonably do for any team at this point.

I never bought the injury excuse in 2007 when we led the league in players on IR because basically our crappy defensive starters were replaced by equally inept backups (some of the backups like George Wilson and Jabari Greer were actually better than the starters). But you take away a team's best lineman on both sides of the ball plus Fred Jackson - that certainly hurts.

Agreed. We'll rarely see the same three on the field a lot together I would think. A lot of Scott, maybe even Merriman with his hand up in passing situations.

As for Sapp, Dareus reminds me a lot of him.

I think Kyle plays more like Sapp did. Spent all his time in the back field. Sapp didn't engage blockers like dareus does, he blew by them like Kyle does.

Sapp was a moves guy, like Kyle. Dareus is a mountain of a man.

Sapp did have more power than Kyle though.

I disagree with the Jets. The Jets went backwards last year to 8-8. I don't see Tony Sparano & Tim Tebow having that great of an impact on the Jets. The main reason why the Bills have been unable to beat the Jets is because we couldn't get any pressure at all on Sanchez. That will change this year. While I'm not dismissing the Patriots at all, but the Bills beat them and had a 21-0 lead in the 2nd meeting (before SJ's benching). This is the first time in years where the Bills have a legitimate chance of winning the division.

You may be right about the Jets, ultimately, but I am not sure you can count them out either. Tebow, IMO, is more a negative for them, but, I think Sparano was a pretty shrewd hire for them. I would just say that they are not assured of missing the playoffs, and more than the Bills are assured of making it.

For some reason, something like 22 of ESPN's "experts" have the Bills pegged as a playoff team this coming season...based in part by the improvements they have seemingly made (all on paper at this point), and the notion that, for the last 10 years or so, 5 teams that didn't make it to the playoffs the year before, make it every year. The Bills seem to be the "sexy pick". I recall the Lions being the "sexy" pick 2 years ago, and missing the playoffs....the next year though!

I share the optimism about this team, but we have been down so long, I worry that a greatly improved team, that doesn't make the playoffs will have people (Bills fans) disillusioned...I think they are on the right track, at this point, whether it is this year, or next, I can live with it, as long as I see continued improvement.

Edited by Buftex

You may be right about the Jets, ultimately, but I am not sure you can count them out either. Tebow, IMO, is more a negative for them, but, I think Sparano was a pretty shrewd hire for them.

In regards to coaches, I think the Bills are better. Promoting Wannstedt to the DC, plus hiring QB coach David Lee (who helped Pennington, Romo & Eli Manning) was a shrewd hire for us.

So to summarize ...

1) National media think the Bills are improved but probably not quite enough to make the playoffs next season.

2) Some Bills fans think the national media is full of **** and the Bills are vastly improved over the team that last year would have made the playoffs were it not for unlucky injuries.

3) The same fans think that not only are the Bills playoff bound this year, but they have a very good chance of winning the division.

SSDD.

It all hinges on what the Bills do in the division. For far too many years they have been pathetic in the division. The Bills have stacked themselves to better compete. Raining on the parade a bit ... Keep in mind the Bills lost to the fins twice last year. That is pretty bad.

Now for the sunshine... The Bills offense does not have to be a world beater and as the season goes on and the scheme comes together the defense will only improve. The bills have the players to make one of the best D-lines ever ... On paper. If they play up to the potential they will not only make the playoffs but may even go deep.

What I concluded from the Sapp comment was that he threw out an obvious justification, (it takes time), for a question he was not prepared for.

I doubt preparation is his strength.

His participation was a waste of time.

It all hinges on what the Bills do in the division. For far too many years they have been pathetic in the division. The Bills have stacked themselves to better compete. Raining on the parade a bit ... Keep in mind the Bills lost to the fins twice last year. That is pretty bad.

Now for the sunshine... The Bills offense does not have to be a world beater and as the season goes on and the scheme comes together the defense will only improve. The bills have the players to make one of the best D-lines ever ... On paper. If they play up to the potential they will not only make the playoffs but may even go deep.

I do not agree with the division comment, I think it all depends on the schedule. does anyone really think it was a coincidence that 3 AFC north teams made the playoffs when they played the NFC West and AFC South? Guess who the AFC East plays this year? I don't think its a coincidence we spent like gang busters in a year where we have a 4 th place schedule plus the two easiest divisons on our plate.

Bengals went 2-4 in Divison last year and made the playoffs

Edited by plenzmd1

I disagree with the Jets. The Jets went backwards last year to 8-8. I don't see Tony Sparano & Tim Tebow having that great of an impact on the Jets. The main reason why the Bills have been unable to beat the Jets is because we couldn't get any pressure at all on Sanchez. That will change this year. While I'm not dismissing the Patriots at all, but the Bills beat them and had a 21-0 lead in the 2nd meeting (before SJ's benching). This is the first time in years where the Bills have a legitimate chance of winning the division.

I think it's just as much a product of the Jets D mostly dominating the Bills offense over the past few years. That will be up to Fitz & Co to change.

Sapp is by far the most annoying person on NFLN..

And Jamie Dukes really gives him a run for his money. When the two do a segment together, it's like crossing the beams of idiocy. One giant 'tard-a-palooza on the set. People need to run for cover. I feel sorry for the camera operators who have to be in such close proximity. Hopefully, they are wearing protective gear.

That said, he made a fair point about our defense. I'd be more worried if our DLine was a bunch of young players. But, with the exception of MD, they've all been around awhile and have seen everything an OLine is gonna throw at them.

GO BILLS!!!

I do not agree with the division comment, I think it all depends on the schedule. does anyone really think it was a coincidence that 3 AFC north teams made the playoffs when they played the NFC West and AFC South? Guess who the AFC East plays this year? I don't think its a coincidence we spent like gang busters in a year where we have a 4 th place schedule plus the two easiest divisons on our plate.

This is what I've been preaching as well. If the Bills finish higher than the Jets, and no worse than the 3rd place team in the North (presuming that means 10 wins or more), they will make the playoffs. The 2nd place teams in the South and West will likely be no better than 9-7.

Of course, winning the division outright at 14-2 will do just fine...

Good points. Also, up until the AFC Championship game, the Pats did not beat a team with a winning record all season long.

I think it's just as much a product of the Jets D mostly dominating the Bills offense over the past few years. That will be up to Fitz & Co to change.

Last year, the Bills lost to the Jets: 27-11, and 28-24. You could say that about the Jets D in the first match up last season (27-11), but the second match up was much closer and a good pass rush would have gotten us the win.

And Jamie Dukes really gives him a run for his money. When the two do a segment together, it's like crossing the beams of idiocy. One giant 'tard-a-palooza on the set. People need to run for cover. I feel sorry for the camera operators who have to be in such close proximity. Hopefully, they are wearing protective gear.

That said, he made a fair point about our defense. I'd be more worried if our DLine was a bunch of young players. But, with the exception of MD, they've all been around awhile and have seen everything an OLine is gonna throw at them.

GO BILLS!!!

Thank you!!! :worthy::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In regards to coaches, I think the Bills are better. Promoting Wannstedt to the DC, plus hiring QB coach David Lee (who helped Pennington, Romo & Eli Manning) was a shrewd hire for us.

Yeah, I love Wannestedt and Lee as Bills coaches, but the Jets are already a few years ahead of the Bills on a "rebuild" project. I am not saying the Jets coaches are better than the Bills coaches, at all...I just think that Sparano will focus on making the Jets a running team...and their defense has been pretty solid over the last 3 years. Laron Landry will help fill their biggest defensive weakness, at the safety spot. I think, and I hope the Bills defensive overhaul goes well, but it has a lot more variables than what the Jets are dealing with, on that side of the ball.

I am not compariing Sparano hiring to our hirings, I just think he will be an upgrade, for them, over Brian Schottenheimer...their offense will look a bit different...